LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cam installed now ticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Cam installed now ticking

I bought a matched cam kit from AI (220/226) with the exception of the 1.6 rockers. I bought those about 1 year ago from a board member. Install went fine. New LS7 lifters too. Using the pushrod tool the measurement came to 7.1. Soaked the lifters in oil prior to putting them in. I was not there for start up but pretty sure it made the noise from start up. Will ask tomorrow. It is definitely coming from the passenger side. Sounds like it is fron the rear area (used stethescope). Oil pressure is fine (same as before the cam install) Car drives fine (small trip around the block) Did a search and possible problems are:

Loose rocker - checked them while it was running all felt good. He is going to check them again in the morning when it is cold.

Collapsed lifter

Exhaust leak at the header flange. (I have Kooks with permaseal gaskets) Will have him check but it did not make the noise before cam install

Injector ticking - injectors were swapped over to powdercoated intake with new o-rings used (precautionary)

Loose sparkplug

It is definitely coming from the passenger side. Driver's side is the nomal sewing machine type sound

below are the videos first is idleing and second is idle and reving.

Let me know what you guys think. I have a dyno tuing appointment on Sat so I have to figure this out ASAP

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...rrent=idle.mp4

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...urrent=rev.mp4

Last edited by 97 CAIVIAROSS; 08-24-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Fix the link
Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Re: Cam installed now ticking

Sounds like a rocker arm needing adjusted or exhaust leak to me. Does your headers have the tube that goes up to the egr? if so they can be a pain to get them to seal sometimes.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SC/TA
Sounds like a rocker arm needing adjusted or exhaust leak to me. Does your headers have the tube that goes up to the egr? if so they can be a pain to get them to seal sometimes.
No my EGR and AIR are deleted and block off plates are in place on the back of the intake. Headers are race version with only 02 bungs. Thanks for the response.

Oh and my other buddy said to check for a loose spark plug so I will add that to the list above
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Sounds like a loose rocker arm to me.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM

My guess is rockers.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Re adjusted all the rockers on that side.. All is well now.. Just a smooth sewing machine sound now!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Post up a new exhaust clip.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Post up a new exhaust clip.
Will do on saturday after the dyno tune!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 97 CAIVIAROSS
Will do on saturday after the dyno tune!!
And numbers.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Re: Cam installed now ticking.. updated 08/27

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
And numbers.
Dam Hurricane...no dyno tune today!!

Actually it is quiet when first started but starts ticking again when it is warms after I have been driving a little while?? I picked it up let it idle for about 3 mins (no ticking) and drove about 20 miles when I pulled into the parking lot I heard the ticking. I have not had a chance to pinpoint where it is exactly coming from but when I stuck my head under the hood really quick it sounds like the passenger's side again?? What would cause it to do it once warmed up?? Any ideas or should they be adjusted again?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM

I know you put in "new" lifters, but I wonder if one of them is having a problem. Might not be a bad idea to install some new ones on that side....or swap all the ones on the drivers to the passengers side(and vice versa). See if the problem moves sides.

On the pushrod length.....have you done anything like decking the heads or block? If not, I see no reason to shorten the pushrod length from the stock 7.2".

For the possible header leak issue....loosen all the flange bolts and retighten them from the center out. Tightening them from the ends to the center could bind the flange and not allow it to seal.

Last edited by ACE1252; 08-27-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
I know you put in "new" lifters, but I wonder if one of them is having a problem. Might not be a bad idea to install some new ones on that side....or swap all the ones on the drivers to the passengers side(and vice versa). See if the problem moves sides.

On the pushrod length.....are you still running 1.5 rockers? Have you done anything like decking the heads or block? If not, I see no reason to shorten the pushrod length from the stock 7.2".
I bought new ls7 lifters from the dealer.

I am running comp cams 1.6 pro magnum rockers and the heads have never been off the block. As instructed by AI the measuring tool included in the kit was used to get the measurement of the pushrods. It came out to 7.1. They said it should be between 7.1 and 7.2?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Alright I have tried to adjust the rockers on pass side like 3 times.. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and eve went a little past that. They are still ticking on passenger side!!! WTF I loosened the poly lock and nut until I can hear it clacking, turned the nut back down until it stoped then set the preloaded from there. Anybody in north jersey that can stop by to take a look?

Thanks Derek

Last edited by 97 CAIVIAROSS; 09-26-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM

What kind of tool did they send you to check the pushrod length and what method did you use to check them?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
What kind of tool did they send you to check the pushrod length and what method did you use to check them?
Dont remember the exact name on it but it was the adjustable one with the sizes etched right on the side that you turned to make it longer or shorter. One of my orginal lifters was tack welded so the plunger would not compress, sharpie was used on the valve stem tip to see the wear patter after the motor was turned over by hand. I was not at the shop for this step, but the guy that helped me out is a GM tech with 20+ years experience. I would bring it back for him to look at but a health issue came up and he wont be at the shop for a while. Pushrods are trickflow I ordered exactly what AI instructed me to (obviously minus the length) and verified the size on the package prior to installing them.

Quick Reply: Cam installed now ticking