LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Building my Lt1 powered Benz ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:57 PM

Question Building my Lt1 powered Benz ???'s

I am new to this form and first of all i know i don't have a camaro but it do have a lt1, and i had some questions.

The car is a 1979 mercedes 250, i have been doing serious body work, custom front and rear end, suspension and recently i purchased a 95 impalla ss lt1 w/ 50k on it and a 4l60e w/every component to both the engine and tranny.

I know it has iron heads, but i will be changing the heads in the future anyway along w/ many other parts, so i was wondering if it is going to be any less of a motor to mod the the z28 version of the lt1????

I also have a powerdyne supercharger, i no not every loves them but i ran it for thousands of miles on my 97 bmw with 11+ psi and it performed flawlessly, and i was wondering what i need to do to run boost, i was looking into lt1 edit, and wondering how much boost if any i should run w/ the stock compression???

And finally i read that the computer needs to get a electronic mph/speed signal, where does that come from???

Thanks very much for any help!
Maurice
Old 06-02-2004, 03:33 PM

The Impy LT1 is the same as the F-body LT1 except for the iron heads. As for boost on a stock LT1 shortblock, its not going to happen with anything more than 4.5psi of boost for a long time if you're lucky. LT1 compression is 10.4:1 and that is not boost friendly. Shoot for 9.0:1 or so with a rebuild and it should last a long, long time with a decent amount of boost.

For tuning, LT1 edit will get you by, but since the LT1's 2 bar MAP doesnt read boost, its not the best route but still would be good enough...for a blown setup anyway.

The way the computer gets the speed signal is from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the tranny tailshaft.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:53 PM

For 95 the iron heads you have flow more than the f-body heads and as well as any LT1 aluminum head GM ever made, probably could have saved a buck by getting a motor out of a Caprice, Roadmaster, Fleetwood it was all the same but places gouge for Impala parts. Iron head motor compression was 10 to 1 which is better for you, aluminum heads NEED more compression just to make the same power as otherwise identical irons because aluminum pulls more heat out of the chamber, any heat not used to turn the crank is wasted so pulling heat out is not necessarily a good thing. The bottomends are the same, as are the intakes.

Might want to contact Combination Motorsports, they are in Vegas and LT1 supercharging experts. Might stop by impalassforum.com too lots of great info and we can help you make the most of those iron heads.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:04 PM

He can fab the VSS pigtail with no problems to fit his application...
Old 06-04-2004, 12:30 AM

Thanks, the engine setup is being shipped out to me today, i was worried that the impala lt1 would not be as good for what i want to do, but im glad it has the same bottom end and intake!

What exactly is VSS?

Thanks,
Maurice
Old 06-04-2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by SinCityLT1Benz
What exactly is VSS?

Thanks,
Maurice
VSS=Vehicle Speed Sensor, as was mentioned above....

If you want to run boost and be reliable, I'd recommend a good rebuild. As far as short block, depending on how far you want to go the stock crank may be ok (up to ~500hp), but forged pistons are a must, and upgraded rods would be highly recommended, at least a good 4130 or 4340 I beam should work. as for top end, maybe a boost specific camshaft, a good rebuild on the heads, and some better valvetrain components. LT1 edit would work fine to tune with for the area in power you'll likely be in.

good luck with it... an LT1 in a mercedes, now that's a new one. It'd be priceless to get that car finished and go put the beat down on a brand new AMG car, only to tell them you're powered by an american V8
Old 06-04-2004, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the help, since the engine only has 50K on it, ill probably wait a bit to run my supercharger, when i can afford pistons, rods, cam etc... at the same time, i don't want to tear apart a relativly new engine until i have the means to go all out with the right parts!

Thanks,
Maurice
Old 06-19-2004, 06:34 PM

I got the motor thursday, and so far i have done the following,
-fabed and mount the trans mount
-got the engine/trans to fit (some center consol/floor panel plasma cutting)

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

I had a few small questions???
-i need to modify the exhaust manifold, can it be welded after i modify it? (one side slightly touches the steering box

-can my old school r-12 a/c system work with the compressor from the lt1??? (will the old dryer work with the new refrigerant)

-what kind of coolant temp gauge can i hook the the coolant temp sensor?

Thanks,
Maurice
Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 PM

I forgot one-

the setup didn't include an oil cooler? can i purchase a transcooler, or should i get a junk yard lt1 oil cooler???

Thanks,
Maurice