LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Broken timing cover/opti bolts - Im about to lose it

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Broken timing cover/opti bolts - Im about to lose it

Started to remove the timing cover to replace the gasket and seals. During this removal an opti bolt, and a timing cover bolt broke off in the block with VERY little effort. I did not get to dropping the pan because I was so mad that I had to walk away from it, so I am unsure if there is anything sticking out of the block to grab, but eye balling what broke compared to the length of the other threads, it is not looking good. The pan alone will drive me insane, so I need to take a couple of days to do that.

Anyway, I guess im going to have to make my first bolt extraction a hard one. What size extractors should I get for these bolts? They are pretty small, so I wasn't sure what size I would need.

Im just getting fed up with this...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 AM

I hear ya man - when I was rebuilding my LT1 I broke two timing cover bolts. I ran to the hardware store and bought a set of grade 8 bolts for the timing cover and then rushed home. Started tightening the bolts and snapped two GRADE 8 BOLTS in the timing cover. Couldn't believe it.

Whatever you do, if you use an easy-out like tool... be extra careful. If you break the easy-out tool inside the hole you're going to be in a hell of a lot more trouble.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 AM

the things im more worried about are keeping it centered and straight while keeping metal shavings. guess ill have to pick up a small punch and use a whole lot of rags.

Last edited by Chevycobb; 06-09-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 AM

They only get 100 in/lbs. Do not overtorque.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM

dont know what size off hand but a few tips to help bolt extractions in general..

use a center punch, a good small sharp one. it will help to keep your bit centered when you drill

start with a very small drill bit. if you dont drill center with a small bit you can move it. if you dont drill center with a big one your screwed.

work your way up in bit size and drill as big as you can without gettting to the threads and use as big a ease out as you can. if you use a small one and break it you wont be able to drill though it. if you do break an ease out try using a punch and hitting it hard sometimes you can shatter the ease out then drill it out. good luck.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Left hand drill bits are nice too. Sometimes they will grab and unscrew the bolt making the easy out unnecessary.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEDOG
Left hand drill bits are nice too. Sometimes they will grab and unscrew the bolt making the easy out unnecessary.
your right. just dont break the bits either, they are just as hard as the ease outs.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:14 PM

got the bolt that just holds the timing cover on. Then when I started on the one for the opti(the one at the top right of the opti looking at the front) the extractor broke off now im ****ed and dont know what to do.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM

like i said in my post drill it as big as you can so you dont use to small of an extractor and break it. but now get a punch and smack the crap out of it to try and break or shatter it. if it work or doesnt go buy an expensive drill bit, whatever is made from the hardest medal you can find. and drill it out and start over. if that doesnt work if you know a good welder you can weld on it and build a bead up till it is out side the hole and turn it out. if you dont know a good one start calling auto shops and welding places. probably have to find an old school guy to do it but ive seen it done.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:27 PM

well I guess I didn't drop the oil pan enough to put the cover back on anyway. Its resting on the engine cradle and can not drop any more to get the cover back on. Not sure if I ruined the oil pan gasket or not trying to put it on before realizing I can't. I just need to get it back together enough to sell it now anyway.