LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Borla Lt1 exaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:39 PM

Borla Lt1 exaust

Anyone know why this exaust is SO much money, what makes it so much better then the rest if any? Does it perform better then everything else?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 PM

Re: Borla Lt1 exaust

Its adjustable for sound which makes it nice. It has plates you can put in or remove to make it quieter or louder. Its a very high quality piece but as far as hp gains its the same as the rest. My gf has it on her 99 TA and it sounds great. I personally think its waaaay to expensive.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:53 PM

Stainless steel.... quality.....

Most exhausts like flow master, magnaflow, dyno max are made in the expectation that it will wear out, rot out. Borla, like Corsa do not have any packing meterial in the muffler, so the sound will be the same no matter what.

In my own opinion, its pricey but worth it. I own a corsa which i absolutely adore. My best bud has a cam only with a couple bolt ons. With 420 rwhp that uncapped borla gets him quite a few complements.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Thought maybe the muffler had somethin about it that was bad *** lol.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Its made of a very high grade stainless steel for one, better than that on say the chaper magnaflow catback. That and the overall craftsmanship of the exhaust is above most others.

I wouldnt buy one new, but you do definately get what you pay for. I was lucky and got mine for a real good price second hand.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Most exhausts like flow master, magnaflow, dyno max are made in the expectation that it will wear out, rot out. Borla, like Corsa do not have any packing meterial in the muffler, so the sound will be the same no matter what.
Originally Posted by Steve0
Its made of a very high grade stainless steel for one, better than that on say the chaper magnaflow catback. That and the overall craftsmanship of the exhaust is above most others.

I wouldnt buy one new, but you do definately get what you pay for. I was lucky and got mine for a real good price second hand.
Magnaflows exhaust shouldn't rot out any faster than the stock or expensive brands -they're all stainless steel. I can't speak for the stock system, but the Magnaflow has no packing material in the muffler either.

All information I can find says Borla and Magnaflow both use T-304 stainless. If this is true, please expand on how Borlas T-304 stainless is a higher grade. Is it kissed by supermodels before being placed in the box or something?

Buy what you like, and what you can afford.
For some people Corsa and Borla are little more than overpriced tips.
The performance has been shown to be very similar between all 3" catbacks with "wide open" mufflers.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lower
Magnaflows exhaust shouldn't rot out any faster than the stock or expensive brands -they're all stainless steel. I can't speak for the stock system, but the Magnaflow has no packing material in the muffler either.

All information I can find says Borla and Magnaflow both use T-304 stainless. If this is true, please expand on how Borlas T-304 stainless is a higher grade. Is it kissed by supermodels before being placed in the box or something?

Buy what you like, and what you can afford.
For some people Corsa and Borla are little more than overpriced tips.
The performance has been shown to be very similar between all 3" catbacks with "wide open" mufflers.
They may be both T-304, but that doesnt mean the steel's properties are the same. You can heat treat steel to harden/soften it. I have hacked through a borla I-pipe and a I-magnaflow I pipe and the Borla took a signifigant amount of time longer. I've also been through a Flowmaster I-pipe and it was naturally "at the bottom" in terms of overall quality. This leads me to believe that the Borla's steel has been hardened. That of course is my personal experience and by no means scientific.

I doubt either would ever rot out on a car though... and if my observations are true, the Borla's material is overkill. Both Borla and Magnaflow know about the corrosion resistance of the steel theyre using and thus they can offer the lifetime warranties.

Besides the name, it's mainly the overall contruction of the catback and the tips that shoots the price up. I would never pay $700 for any catback but apparently enough people do to keep Borla & Corsa in buisness.

BTW, over at LS1tech, I saw this thread a while back about a new magnaflow system soon to hit market.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453262

If Mangaflow had offered their system with those tips (Corvette catback tips) way back when I was in the market, I would have one on my car.