LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Blown head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 PM

Blown head Gasket

I had a blown head gasket on my car, and I took the heads off and milled them down 10,000ths over and was woundering what kind of gasket to go with. I have heard taht Felt Pro are better gaskets and I heard I would be better off with a steal shim gasket. Which one would be better and give more conpression, proformance.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:34 PM

i would just go with LT4, you should have around a 11:1 compression, you could probably go with a impala but the compression might be too high depending on how high the octane is where you live. I bet the impala head gasket would give you 11.3:1
Old 02-21-2003, 08:38 PM

Re: Blown head Gasket

Originally posted by synethics
I had a blown head gasket on my car, and I took the heads off and milled them down 10,000ths over and was woundering what kind of gasket to go with. I have heard taht Felt Pro are better gaskets and I heard I would be better off with a steal shim gasket. Which one would be better and give more conpression, proformance.
how did it happen?? did your car overheat?? i would like to know the signs of blown head gasket....please tell me thanks a lot
Old 02-21-2003, 08:38 PM

I have to stick with the LT1 Heads for money reasons right now, or are you talking about using LT4 gaskets? But as far as fuel I use 91 Octain is what is around here and i usally dumb octain boster in when ever I fill up but not always.

But What woul dhappen if I had to high of a compression ratio ?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 PM

I was talking about the LT4 headgasket... If you go to a high compression ratio on with octane that wont prevent pre detonation then your computer will force your timing to retard and you won't get the results that you wanted.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:09 PM

Re: Re: Blown head Gasket

Originally posted by TMDZ28
how did it happen?? did your car overheat?? i would like to know the signs of blown head gasket....please tell me thanks a lot

I noticed it when it started running like ****, and acted like the timming was off or there was a really bad miss, or the optispark was acting up. Check alled that and the wires as well and efverything was fine except it was still missing, so as i started driving it back home from my friends shop, it started smoking and running worse so i pulled it over and shut it off i knew what it was than at that time the smoke had a sweet smell to it. When i got it home i let it set for two days the collent level was down, and when i drained the Oil about 2 gallons antifreeze came out, lucky i shut off in time before that **** got ran threw the whole system. As far as over heating i didnt get over 170 for temp so...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
I was talking about the LT4 headgasket... If you go to a high compression ratio on with octane that wont prevent pre detonation then your computer will force your timing to retard and you won't get the results that you wanted.
In my siuation what would you go with ? And which do you think will be better for compression? Also If i went with a LT4 or Impala head gasket would you go witha felt pro or steal shim?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 PM

My heads are off currently and I got LT4 headgaskets. I think both gaskets were around $50 from Sam Smith (combination motorsports) www.cmotorsports.com. I went with Fel Pro exhaust gaskets because I know they are a lot better but I decided just to stay GM on the headgaskets.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:22 PM

Re: Re: Blown head Gasket

Originally posted by TMDZ28

Also, your oil will look like coffee(with milk) , hot chocolate, cafe amoreta etc. Because the oil has mixed with the coolant.

Like he said, you can smell the sweet smell of the coolant . And usually water and coolant will come out of the tail pipe. I blew/burned my head gasket by just cruising, but the hose from the water pump was old and warped, and it leaked (alot) and the temperature went sky high. The car will drive very baaaadly if that happens. Since the water is getting in the cylinders. Mine was so bad when I got home, (barely) the water would shoot out of my exhaust several feet onto the car parked behind me.

Anyways , if you have one, take care of it before the water damanges things. I messed around and waited too long, and the water in the cylinders rusted, and i ended up having the engine rebuilt/ honed, bored, etc.. to get rid of the rust on the cylinder walls, and just in case the bearings were damaged.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Blown head Gasket

Originally posted by Rpm280
Also, your oil will look like coffee(with milk) , hot chocolate, cafe amoreta etc. Because the oil has mixed with the coolant.

Like he said, you can smell the sweet smell of the coolant . And usually water and coolant will come out of the tail pipe. I blew/burned my head gasket by just cruising, but the hose from the water pump was old and warped, and it leaked (alot) and the temperature went sky high. The car will drive very baaaadly if that happens. Since the water is getting in the cylinders. Mine was so bad when I got home, (barely) the water would shoot out of my exhaust several feet onto the car parked behind me.

Anyways , if you have one, take care of it before the water damanges things. I messed around and waited too long, and the water in the cylinders rusted, and i ended up having the engine rebuilt/ honed, bored, etc.. to get rid of the rust on the cylinder walls, and just in case the bearings were damaged.

The oil wont always be milky mine wasnt but that ws becasue i was smart enough to shut it off the minute it happend. its best to shut it off the minute you see the smoke to limit the interal damage cares dont like anti freeze to be ran threw them trust me on that one :P
Old 02-22-2003, 08:51 AM

I have pics of everythign if anyone is interested at

http://www.UnixHQ.org/~ripper/carpics
Old 02-22-2003, 01:32 PM

Imp headgaskets will offer the most compression so far as I know, I dont know of anything meeting or beating .026 They are about $22 each or thereabouts, from Jason Cromer.