LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

blowing my fan fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:23 PM

blowing my fan fuse

I was driving home from sonic (40 minutes both ways) the other day and when i was getting near my house the SES light came on.. there were no fans which are supposed to come on when the SES light goes on so I checked the fan fuse.. blown. So i just replaced it and everything was fine.

Today I drove to the bank and fedex and once again as I was nearing my house.. SES light goes on. Checked and it was the fuse again..

What could cause this to keep happening all of a sudden?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:36 PM

whats this tubing of wires?

It looks like I burnt the **** out of it so maybe it could be part of the cause
Old 08-25-2007, 03:39 PM

that harness has your starter wires (10ga. purple wire and 16ga red) and the abs wires in it.
your problem is most likely a bad fan motor. when the motors go bad, they draw more and more current to spin. once it reach's the limit of the fuse, it will blow it. I think there are 2 fan fuses. one for each fan. the blown one will be the bad motor. easy to replace, but expensive if you buy new/GM. you shouldnt have a problem finding a good fan used though.
chris
Old 08-25-2007, 03:43 PM

ill go look to see if there are 2 fuses and find out which one it is..

edit* i see there are 3 bigger block fuses that are labled cooling fan 1-3. But The one i blew is a little 10 amp fuse (red) labled "fan/actr"

Last edited by nodnarb481; 08-25-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Sounds like your fan relay is shot. The insulation on the windings will break down after enough temp cycling and the windings will fuse to one another. The relay is driven by the 10A "fan actuator" fuse and is in the fuse/relay box under your hood on the front drivers side. Much cheaper than a new fan .
Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 PM

replace the relay and checkk the ground its on the frame rail on driver side in front of abs block...if no remove the fan and spin by hand it should spin smoothe and freely, and watch it stop it should stop smoothely.....touch a battery to it it should spin fast and free also...mine just went bad im looking for 1 right now also
Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM

I had the same problem with my 97 and they had a recall for the secondary air pump which shorted, same circut
Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 PM

aha. good thought. but are you sure about the same ckt? Ive seen many of those come in the shop, they would get water in the pump and blow the fuse. but dont really remember anything to do with the fans. but, its easy enough to make sure by just unpluging the air pump itself. the check eng. light might set, but the fans would work and not blow the fuse IF the air pump is your real problem.
chris
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 PM

I put all the relays in place of the fog lights and they worked everytime. so i guess I can scrath the relays off that list..

iroc.. could you explain to me what your saying about unplugging the air pump? Like how would i unplug it and what would indicate the air pump being the problem?

Last edited by nodnarb481; 08-25-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:04 PM

the air pump is on the drivers side of the engine, round, black plastic there is a 2 wire connector goin into the front of it I believe. just unplug the connector and drive the car. like I said, it will prolly set a code, for the air pump being inop, but dont worry about that. all you want to do it get it hot enough for the fans to turn on. if the fans turn on, and run, and the fuse does not blow, then you can be pretty sure that the air pump itself is shorted. but, that is assuming that the other fella is correct, and the air pump and fans share that fuse that you say is blowing. which I actually could confirm for you monday when I get to work. Im a tech at a pont. dealership. email me if you still need me to find that out before mon. and when i get to work sometime monday morning I'll look up the electrical schematic for that fuse for you and email you back.

chris
Old 08-25-2007, 07:15 PM

i think i have heard that they are connected before yes.. but let me ask you this since your are a tech at pontiac.. since AIR was recalled.. how do i go about getting that system out of my fricken engine bay legally?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Okay.. I turned that car on and turned opn the A/C and the low speed fans come on everything was good..

then i jumped pins 5 and 6 on the OBD port and that turned on the high speed fans.. I did this jump a few times and the hi speed fans came on everytime no problem.. so I assume at this point that maybe its not the fans?

Which would lead me to AIR, EGR, and o2s right? I was thinking about investigating the AIR system (it was recalled afterall) how do i test that?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by nodnarb481
Okay.. I turned that car on and turned opn the A/C and the low speed fans come on everything was good..

then i jumped pins 5 and 6 on the OBD port and that turned on the high speed fans.. I did this jump a few times and the hi speed fans came on everytime no problem.. so I assume at this point that maybe its not the fans?

Which would lead me to AIR, EGR, and o2s right? I was thinking about investigating the AIR system (it was recalled afterall) how do i test that?
unplug the air pump and drive it for a few days
Old 08-26-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
unplug the air pump and drive it for a few days

same thing I say. DO IT.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 PM

alright ill do it when i get home.. iroc.. any word on how to get rid of that AIR? since its recalled if something breaks you have to get rid of it all right?

Quick Reply: blowing my fan fuse