LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM

black smoke

ok i have my 93 lt1 and it is putting out a lil black somke wot, i though it could be the pvc valve but i changed that and cleaned the t/b.and no change, i had the car on the dyno the other day and it was doing this and the guy told me it was running lean but that dont sound rite to me,he did not even have the wire from the dyno going to the spark plugs wire just to a wire under the hood. and he said that the car made 299 whp and 300 tq and i know thats not rite cause i spank my friends *** thats has 326 whp. what could this be.

oh and it dose not seem to lose power in 1st and 2nd but third seems to drop off.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sick9lt1
ok i have my 93 lt1 and it is putting out a lil black somke wot, i though it could be the pvc valve but i changed that and cleaned the t/b.and no change, i had the car on the dyno the other day and it was doing this and the guy told me it was running lean but that dont sound rite to me,he did not even have the wire from the dyno going to the spark plugs wire just to a wire under the hood. and he said that the car made 299 whp and 300 tq and i know thats not rite cause i spank my friends *** thats has 326 whp. what could this be.

oh and it dose not seem to lose power in 1st and 2nd but third seems to drop off.

Black smoke on wide open throttle indicates a rich condition and this is all to common on F-bodies. Unless you see it alot it isn't anything to worry about.

Some dyno's have a sensor that can gauge engine rpm without actually touching the wires.

You really can't judge your horsepower based on 'spanking your friends ***' when the readings are that close. A 30 pound difference in weight would neutralize that horsepower difference...

What do you mean when you say the power drops off in 3rd gear? Does it do anything wrong..stumble, backfire, fall flat, etc, or does it just not pull as hard?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Black smoke on wide open throttle indicates a rich condition and this is all to common on F-bodies. Unless you see it alot it isn't anything to worry about.

Some dyno's have a sensor that can gauge engine rpm without actually touching the wires.

You really can't judge your horsepower based on 'spanking your friends ***' when the readings are that close. A 30 pound difference in weight would neutralize that horsepower difference...

What do you mean when you say the power drops off in 3rd gear? Does it do anything wrong..stumble, backfire, fall flat, etc, or does it just not pull as hard?
yea i just feel that the motor dont pull as hard it seems to drop. cause 1st and 2nd are nice and 3rd just is less i think.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 AM

well as he said before black smoke is just running a little rich not to much to worry about as for the power loss in third what kind of gears are you running maybe its not a power loss maybe its just a lack of power my car is a M6 and has 4:30's and is really peppy all the way through fourth but before i had the gears it worthless after second.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 AM

i found the problem with the black smoke, it was the pcv valve and the hose to the pcv valve was cracked and hard as a rock so no more smoke.but i am doing to change the plugs and wires an see if that stops the breaking up. i did another post and ask about plugs and wires and how to. so thanks for all the info. this site i am sure has helped alot of people and will do so alot more, i know i have leaned alot from here an i want to thank all for there time.