LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Billet Dynaspark Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 07:42 PM

Billet Dynaspark Distributor

I would like to post an answer here to a commonly asked question that we receive via email quite frequently regarding a product that many of you are aware of. We are not a forum supporter, so I'll make it short. Please understand, this thread is not meant to sell something, only to inform you, so take it as you wish. If a moderator feels the need to remove or lock this thread, then we certainly and completely understand. Have a good week gents and happy motoring!

We are trying to determine whether or not to proceed with manufacturing
and/or developing of new ignition distributor products for the LT1/LT4
engine platform and we would like your candid input on this subject.

We will factor in your comments to aid us in evaluating what the true
market demand is for this distributor and it's variations for different
applications. The decision will then be made to decide if/when we proceed
with this product any further, so now is your time to chime in.

As you know, the current retail cost of this product is somewhat
prohibitive to many LT1/LT4 owners and we realize that it has been the
subject of our product's "bashing" on the internet, despite the offending
persons' having never even tried one out for themselves.

This product is very expensive to manufacture for us and there is a lot
more engineering designed into it than a "spiffy red case" as I've seen
some people describe it as. We have done our best to reduce costs without
reducing durability, but we have found that even the modified/improved
components are costly...even to our company. We now realize why no other
manufacture has tried to make a better Optispark......cost vs. demand. It just may not be worth the hassle to mess with this thing any longer.

We designed and engineered this product for you as an alternative to
the weak, failure-prone OE unit, so that you could have a reliable ignition
without having to replace multiple engine components to "upgrade" to the OE
Gen II junk or be stuck installing the same poorly-built OE product, only
to have it fail again soon.

WE are not "making a mint" with this product as I've seen some people
claim and we're doing this mainly for you, with little profit for us with
the labor/components involved.

Now, DTE is at an impasse.... We have a reliable product that delivers
the performance we claim, (unlike most companies) but it is costly to
manufacture. We are willing to continue it's production if the numbers are
there, but it is not financially viable to continue if they are not. Like
anything else on the market today, when we reach our break-even point for
this venture, the cost will come down and we are no where near that point
yet.....

Listed below are the different types of the Dynaspark designs that we
either have in production now, are about to start production soon or have
plans/blueprints to produce in the future.

1) Gen II Billet Dynaspark Distributor: Replacement for original, OE
equipped vented dist. applications and owner retrofitted early style
applications. In production now.

2) Gen I Billet Dynaspark Distributor: Direct bolt-in replacement of
original OE equipped, non-vented dist. applications. Shares all of the
refinements, improvements and components of the Gen II design. Production
pending outcome of results from this contact.

3) DTE "Gen III-A" Billet Dynaspark Distributor (Gen I and Gen II
applicable): This distributor is rotorless and utilizes our own exclusive
billet aluminum cap. It's recommended for very high horsepower applications
where high engine RPM is the norm. It's to be used in conjunction with the
OE PCM, the LTCC and individual ignition coils. High voltage is removed
altogether internally from this iteration of the Dynaspark Distributor.
Production pending.

4) DTE "Gen III-B" (Gen I and Gen II applicable): This distributor is the
same as "A" version, except that is designed to be used with aftermarket
engine management systems that require a single cam sync pulse to enable
sequential EFI to be used. The user can then retrofit the '96-'97 crank
reference components so that a crank signal can produced. Production
pending.

We want to continue to produce these products for you, but if no one
has any real interest in purchasing them, then we will have no choice but
to shelf the idea indefinitely.

Our question to you is, do we need to keep going or is it to cost
prohibitive for you to purchase? Your thoughts are welcome and we look
forward to your comments. Thank you for your time.

One last thing- In an effort not to step on anyone's toes on this board, (Admins & Mods) we'll not be answering any questions here on this board. If you have a question, please email directly.

Regards and God Bless,
Phil Rickard, President
Dynotech Engineering, Inc.

Last edited by Dynotech Eng.; 05-26-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:45 PM

I've never heard of this so..... What is the cost?
Old 05-26-2003, 07:51 PM

I believe your post is entirely appropriate. I wish more manufacturers would soliciate their customers for their ideas and opinions.

I guess I'm a little simple minded but....

I have a '94 Z28 and I need to replace my opti. What do you offer to give me better performance/reliability/cost over the OE unit and how does your product differ/compare?

It's sort of the bottom line thing!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:00 PM

I really would like you folks to continue making the Dynaspark. The last 2 versions are also of interest because i just recieved Accel Gen 7+ dfi,and may want to upgrade to 8 coils down the road.

I will definately be getting 1 of the dynasparks when it comes time for a rebuild,as my 2nd opti is acting up. Hopefully you will still be making the Dynaspark when i am ready to purchase 1 later this year.

I understand your position as being hesistent,you went out on a limb to improve a stock part,and got throughly thrashed by people who cant afford it,or are just that un informed as to what it takes to pioneer a market that is neglected.

It has also been my experiance that there are mainly 2 types of Fbody owners......those with money for good stuff,and those without.

The LTcc setup is nice,but isnt fully needed with a GOOD optispark on the market. also the LTcc is more then $200 above the cost of the dynaspark,and more wires to run around.

Last edited by RacinLT1; 05-26-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 PM

want my 2 cents?

Jason Cromer or Dal will get me an oem opti shipped ~$140-ish to my door. Sure, it won't last as long as your dynatech unit, I don't think.. but I have 92k on my stock opti, and if I get anywhere near the durability and lifetime of that with my next opti, then all is good.

Even if optis just died at 50k, I'd rather buy one each time for $150-ish and put it in myself, as it is pretty easy to install. I guess in my opinion, the added cost of the dynatech isn't really worth it for me. If it were in the $200 range, I'd definitley think about it, but since my stock opti has lasted 92k now, I really am not in a rush to replace it with a ultra-bulletproof, expensive unit.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by mineralwater
want my 2 cents?

Jason Cromer or Dal will get me an oem opti shipped ~$140-ish to my door.
I really doubt that. They are $195.00ish.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mineralwater
want my 2 cents?

Jason Cromer or Dal will get me an oem opti shipped ~$140-ish to my door. Sure, it won't last as long as your dynatech unit, I don't think.. but I have 92k on my stock opti, and if I get anywhere near the durability and lifetime of that with my next opti, then all is good.

Even if optis just died at 50k, I'd rather buy one each time for $150-ish and put it in myself, as it is pretty easy to install. I guess in my opinion, the added cost of the dynatech isn't really worth it for me. If it were in the $200 range, I'd definitley think about it, but since my stock opti has lasted 92k now, I really am not in a rush to replace it with a ultra-bulletproof, expensive unit.
WERD!!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:46 PM

i find nothing wrong with the post, but i think it is a good idea. I will never be in need of the higher end versions but i definatly like the idea of having more options open to me. Currently i am not in need of an distributer so i havent dont my research on a replacement.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:56 PM

holy busted wallet batman , that things 599! call me when you have met the cost requirements for r&d ! It looks great and im sure its an awesome piece but DAM!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:04 PM

Cool Re: Billet Dynaspark Distributor

Originally posted by Dynotech Eng.
Our question to you is, do we need to keep going or is it to cost
prohibitive for you to purchase? Your thoughts are welcome and we look
forward to your comments. Thank you for your time.

Phil: I vote to stop now and minimize losses. Explanation below.

1) No hp increase.

2) Longevity: Stock optis can easily last 50k assuming you avoid bathing them.

3) Price: Optis can be had for $200, and a harness can be had for around $50 (I believe). That is almost 42% the cost of the Dynotech Opti.

A common arguement I see is the opportunity cost that the Dynotech piece saves. IOW, you won't have to spend time working on the car to replace the opti as often. Unfortunately, I have the opti off almost every 10k miles, so this arguement doesn't really apply to me.

I think this would be a part suited to Corvette owners that are into keeping there weekend cars in tiptop shape, or stock Fbodies that are looking for parts that will keep them out of the dealership. The first time I had to replace the optispark I had it done at the dealer for about $950 - 50% was labor.

My advice to you is to target the crowd looking to avoid costly dealer labor charges, or stop production. Its hard to fight the fact that the opti isn't as big of a problem as people make it out to be.

Ryan
Old 05-26-2003, 09:06 PM
GP Moderator

Here are my thoughts on the product:

- It costs to damn much!!. If I recall, the cost is $600. Your average Opti will last at least 50k miles. I can get a vented Opti for under $200. Add in the price of a gallon of coolant and 2 new water pump gaskets, and we are at about $200 even. I would have had to have 3 Opti's break to break even with your product.

- It seems one of the biggest factors that kills the factory opti (and causes problems w/ the high HP guys) is the high voltage side of the Opti. I personally haven't had that problem (hell, my stock non vented Opti lasted 88k miles, 40k of those with a MSD Digital 6 ignition and Blaster coil). BUT....why not just toss on the LTCC box? Take the high voltage side away from the Opti (which many believe is a big factor in them dying), and get a strong ignition system w/ a built in rev limiter and 2nd limiter or timing retard function with the LTCC box as well.

The price needs to be lower, it's really that simple. Optisparks aren't that hard to swap out.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:17 PM

The post is more than appropriate. If the mods lock it i will be pissed and let them know about it

The biggest issue is with cost IMO. As already mentioned i could go through 3 optis before i even break even by buying a dynaSpark.

IMO the answer to our problems is with a company coming up with an "all in one" package solution. You need to put together a opti alternative kit.

Package together:
LTCC by bob bailey
8 coils
Pre-cut and booted plug wires
Mounting hardware
And a form of the dynaSpark Gen III-A (basically just need to be water tight and give out the crank position to the ECM)

That package would fundamentally rid us of the opti all together, and give us a stronger ignition system in the process. If you can get the cost of something like that down in the $800-900 range, im sure their would be a strong demand. Also as said before, sell it as an entire kit, ready to be "bolted" on. No custom fabrication work etc.

Biggest problem now is that many view your product as a water tight bandaid. Yes it eliminates water from getting into the opti, and should last longer, but its still an opti. Most of the people spending big bucks want to upgrade the ignition with something more powerful.

Jared
jkiley1@cinci.rr.com

Last edited by atljar; 05-26-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:34 PM

I think this post is very appropriate and think those bashing should stop it.

You are asking for oppinions and not to be bashed.

While I have never had to change my Opti at 66K, I would like to see a better alternative to change to when I do.

I see the price as being you only hold back. Good Luck with your product.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by Joe Brodman
- It costs to damn much!!. If I recall, the cost is $600. Your average Opti will last at least 50k miles. I can get a vented Opti for under $200. Add in the price of a gallon of coolant and 2 new water pump gaskets, and we are at about $200 even. I would have had to have 3 Opti's break to break even with your product.
Exactly.
Also the other thing which is thought by many is what they get for the $600. I know many people are comfortable spending $600+ on the LTCC conversion, because they understand what they are getting for the money. Even though you all try to explain the R&D and changes made in your dynaspark, it is still a optispark, that is REALLY expensive... Plain and simple.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:16 PM

The cost doesn't really seem THAT high to me. I don't see why all you guys are bitching. The only reason you are getting optis so cheap is because a select few sell them at a great price on this board. If a normal person goes to GM to buy an opti they will pay $630 for a non vented and $450 for a vented. Most people don't know about Dal. Also a harness will run you $75+ dollars no matter where you buy it. I probably wouldn't buy it just because i am cheap. I think you guys should look into a cheap alternative to the opti so that we can do with out it all together.

Quick Reply: Billet Dynaspark Distributor