LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best way to pump gas out of tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:29 PM

Best way to pump gas out of tank?

I'm not going to drop the tank but I need to get the gas that is in my tank out, its been sitting there for 2+ years. Any tips on the best way to get it out?

Thanks
Patrick
Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 PM

Re: Best way to pump gas out of tank?

Not sure if it would empty the whole thing out but you can easily take the fuel filter off and some will leak out. You could then probably disconnect where the fuel goes into the fuel pump and the rest will leak out.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 PM

what I did was, I use a electric fuel pump with a long hose. I placed the hose down the filler neck and pump into a gas can.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:04 PM

Very Very easy, go to any auto store and buy a syphin, just did this last week, get yourself a couple of 5 gallon jugs and put one end of hose in the jug other end in tank and wallah, usually town will accept used fuel and you can dump it there.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Robs97Z28
what I did was, I use a electric fuel pump with a long hose. I placed the hose down the filler neck and pump into a gas can.
Hey Rob I hope you make sure those terminals are covered so they cant ground or spark on accident. That dont sit to easy with me **** happens.

I still whenever have to syphon something do it the old way only better never done it to the Camaros. Get the hose small and long enough to get to bottom of tank and can on the ground. I instead of sucking the damn gas into the hose. Wrap a wrag tight around hose and press it tight over the filler tube seal it as best you can.Blow a good lunger full of air into the tank like a balloon dont let the air back til you take the hose away from mouth the gas will come out right away. Works everytime for me I tryed that sucking the gas up once f%^K that.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:25 PM

Use this connector and unhook the line at the fuel filter and pump it out into a container..
http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg
Old 12-09-2004, 11:37 PM

I will never suck gas out of a car again, i tried that few days agoand threw up so no thanks lol
Old 12-10-2004, 12:27 AM

I don't see how you guys managed to siphon fuel from the filler neck. I tried that once and the hose never made it to the tank. I was told by the dealer that some cars had some kind of safety blockage in the filler neck to prevent thieves from making off with your gas. Anyhooo....I drained my gas by removing the fuel filter, and then cutting off the nipple part of the filter and squeezed it into a rubber hose and then snapped the nipple part back into the fuel lines with the other end of the hose going into a pail. Then you can either cycle the ignition on and off which activates the fuel pump, or you can hot wire the fuel pump to continuously run.

Last edited by carlos64030; 12-10-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:20 AM

part of the problem is the bad gas has killed my pump, therefore I cant use the pump to get the gas out, or that would have been my first choise. but it seems to me siphoning the gas out is the easiest way, I'll give that a shot, porbably just drop a hose in the top of the tank where the pump used to be, any reason that wouldnt work?

Thanks
patrick
Old 12-10-2004, 07:52 AM

best way izz 1/4 mile at a time azz quickly azz pozzible! ( i just like z's {28's} not trying 2 make bad words )
Old 12-10-2004, 11:58 AM

Got to share this wtih everyone. Earlier this Summer I was in a local tire shop and this guy comes into the store looking like the "Mummy". All wrapped up in bandages. The girls behind the counter were hardly able to control from laughing. When he went into the other room I asked what was going on? There said he was working on his car.....dropped the gas tank out of it and was trying to get the remainder of the gas out of it. HE USED A SHOP VAC!!! Guess what happened when the vapors hit the brushes in the vac motor....BBBOOOMMM!!! Burnt down the garage and house .... stupid bastard.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by whatsup
Got to share this wtih everyone. Earlier this Summer I was in a local tire shop and this guy comes into the store looking like the "Mummy". All wrapped up in bandages. The girls behind the counter were hardly able to control from laughing. When he went into the other room I asked what was going on? There said he was working on his car.....dropped the gas tank out of it and was trying to get the remainder of the gas out of it. HE USED A SHOP VAC!!! Guess what happened when the vapors hit the brushes in the vac motor....BBBOOOMMM!!! Burnt down the garage and house .... stupid bastard.
Wow smart do ya gotta be to know not to use a shop vac!!

I am in the same boat my fuel pump is dead with about 1/2 still. I am going to try the line down the filler neck with an old pump i have. Hope it works.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:14 PM

I've seen these types of syphon pumps at O'Reilly Parts.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/prod052.html

Emil DUsek:93Z,383

Last edited by InsuranceGuy; 12-10-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 PM

Just a thought i havent used this method in some years[siphoning gas] but if you get the hose into the tank, then wrap a plastic bag around the hose[to seal the tank inlet to the hose] then BLOW into the hose[ don't suck! ]
It pressurizes the tank a bit and starts the siphon every time, and you don't get to drink gas..
Works like a charm..
Old 12-10-2004, 04:36 PM

I siphoned my gas out last week with a 99 cent siphon hose from Menards. The only way the soft 1/4" hose would go down the filler neck is by first inserting a 3 foot piece of 1/2 " ID plastic furnace condesate hose. It is rigid enough to hold up the flapper on the filler neck and flexable enough to slide down the tank. Then I slid the smaller siphon hose inside it all the way to the bottom of the tank. A few squeezes of the siphon bulb and it worked great except it takes for ever with that small diameter hose.
I wonder if you could use the 1/2" hose alone and start the siphoning with blowing in the tank with an air compressor some what like the Mtrhds94Z method?

Quick Reply: Best way to pump gas out of tank?