LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best cam that will maintain stock low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Best cam that will maintain stock low end torque

I am building a 96 Z28 M6 as a Street and occasional PDX/HPDE car. I bought it with a partially installed (fully assembled) reman engine out of a 94 Vette LT1. I am in the process of finishing up everything. Anyway, to make a long story short, it has the wrong opti on it, and I just rounded off one of the coolant crossover bolts trying to swap out with the 96 one. At the least, I'm going to have to drop the K-member to fix that. So, I figured I'd also swap the hub, and install the correct opti. This will also require swapping the cam out for the longer dowel pin on the 96-97 style opti drive. Now is my opportunity to upgrade

I previously had a 94 Z28 A4. The thing I absolutely loved about it was the crazy low end torque it had. I have never driven an Automatic V8 that would push you in your seat the way it would. Maybe mine was a factory freak, but I have driven my brother's 98 Z28 on multiple occasions, and the LS1 just doesn't feel the same down low. It is pretty strong across the entire power band, though.

I am looking for a cam that will maintain or augment the factory low end torque curve, but still have a strong midrange and decent top end. I also will probably not be upgrading to 1.6RR's, and would like to use the original springs if possible. The engine was reman, and probably has less than 2,000 miles on it, so the springs are basically new. I have read they should be good up to the .480 range?

The ones I was looking at are:
Crane 227 (known to be a "torque monster")
Lingenfelter LPE 211/219 (probably hard to find)
LT4 Hotcam (good price and availability, not sure on low end power)

Any other good options that would be affordable/widely available, and fit my needs. Although this is going to be an occasional PDX car, I'd rather have street driveability/low end (rpm) torque, than top end power.

Last edited by Cam94Z28; 12-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Re: Best cam that will maintain stock low end torque

I can't really give you an opinion on which cam to choose but with whatever you decide on I would highly recommed getting valve springs that match the cam. There are too many risk going with an "unknown" valve spring and a cam swap...unless you just like doing things twice, and spending more money after you thought you were done, and all the other joy that comes along when stuff breaks.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by white97T/A
I can't really give you an opinion on which cam to choose but with whatever you decide on I would highly recommed getting valve springs that match the cam. There are too many risk going with an "unknown" valve spring and a cam swap...unless you just like doing things twice, and spending more money after you thought you were done, and all the other joy that comes along when stuff breaks.
Are you saying spend $200 on the recommended Crane (for example) 99845-16 for the 227? I don't mind replacing springs if I have to, but that's a little steep, considering the cam costs over $400 as it is.

I did find these recommended, and well received in a thread here.
LT1 VALVE SPRING KIT Includes: SPRINGS, RETAINERS, LOCKS & CUPS. - Alex's Parts Sales

Actually, these can supposedly be used with the stock hardware/retainers, etc....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-987-16/overview/

Still open to any other opinions on which cam would fit my needs?

As for the cam, Also discovered the Comp XE 264HR-12
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1105&sb=2
Also, the 260XFI, or 268XFI, which appear that they would be decent in low end torque as well..
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=LTCAMSXFI

Last edited by Cam94Z28; 12-13-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM

I'm no expert on this but I have been looking for the best cam on stock heads and what I have decided to go with is the. CC503 it seems to make the most power across the bord with little loss on the low side. but you will want a good set of springs and 1.6 rr with the supporting mod to go along with cam most people on here will tell you that the springs are as important as the rockers if not more
I found that out after I had the rockers installed .. I have the LT4 springs in my car now and will be taken them out in February when I have the CC503 cam installed do it right the first time are you will end up spending more money

I just looked at the OP again and I think the vette engine cam factory with 1.5 rr and better springs than the camaro LT1 that may be ok with a mild cam not sure ????
so you might want to see what one of the resident experts have to say ....

Last edited by parkers Z28; 12-13-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Rockers on the LT4 are 1.6:1. See link below for complete LT1/Lt4 differences.

LT1 vs LT4
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM

I recently rebuilt my lt 1 (383 with edelbrock extreme heads 36 lb injectors, 58mm TH, and went with the comp xfi 280. Obviously you are not going to want this cam as it is going to need lower gears etc.(I'm going with 4.56 s60) However currently I have the stock 3.43 gears and it is way to much cam. I really love the power from 2000 rpm to 6000 rpm though and the 4.56 Will help with the low end torque !!.

If you don't plan on any more mods down the road I would recommend the 260 comp xfi hr 13, which will make great low end torque and has 113 degree lobe Seperation which will give you pretty wide power band, 210 @ .050" will keep the torque power band low. (1200rpm to 5200rpm)

However if you are like me and the power becomes addictive go with the bigger cam and build around it.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM

07-304-8 - Xtreme Energy

This is a mild cam for example, at the bottom of the page it gives the recommended springs, retainers, etc.

looks like a set of springs does run about $200 or $12.50 a piece, makes it sound more reasonable.

Having the right springs is cheap insurance, when one breaks it can easily cost you $200+ especially if the valve drops in the cylinder.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM

The OP says that he has a 94 LT1 vette engine with factory 1.5rr and he really does not want to upgrade to 1.6 rr he just wanted to swap the cam he did not say that he had a LT4....
I was suggesting that he upgrade to the 1.6 rr and buy a good set of springs with the cam
I was thinking that it was a camaro LT1 with stamped rockers until I looked back at the OP..
The 1.5 roller rockers and springs that he has on the vette engine may be ok with what he wants
but I don't know

Last edited by parkers Z28; 12-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by parkers Z28
I'm no expert on this but I have been looking for the best cam on stock heads and what I have decided to go with is the. CC503 it seems to make the most power across the bord with little loss on the low side. but you will want a good set of springs and 1.6 rr with the supporting mod to go along with cam most people on here will tell you that the springs are as important as the rockers if not more
I found that out after I had the rockers installed .. I have the LT4 springs in my car now and will be taken them out in February when I have the CC503 cam installed do it right the first time are you will end up spending more money

I just looked at the OP again and I think the vette engine cam factory with 1.5 rr and better springs than the camaro LT1 that may be ok with a mild cam not sure ????
so you might want to see what one of the resident experts have to say ....
I read about the cc503 being the better option over the hotcam. I sort-of discounted it when I read it may have cam surge. I will at least be driving for a while with no tune after installing the cam. Then again, surge won't be as big of a problem with an M6. It also has a higher recommended shift point. I don't want to have to shift at 6100+ rpm to make peak power. Also, I can't seem to find the cc503 on the comp cams site. What is the current equivalent part number?

Originally Posted by asquared
I recently rebuilt my lt 1 (383 with edelbrock extreme heads 36 lb injectors, 58mm TH, and went with the comp xfi 280. Obviously you are not going to want this cam as it is going to need lower gears etc.(I'm going with 4.56 s60) However currently I have the stock 3.43 gears and it is way to much cam. I really love the power from 2000 rpm to 6000 rpm though and the 4.56 Will help with the low end torque !!.

If you don't plan on any more mods down the road I would recommend the 260 comp xfi hr 13, which will make great low end torque and has 113 degree lobe Seperation which will give you pretty wide power band, 210 @ .050" will keep the torque power band low. (1200rpm to 5200rpm)

However if you are like me and the power becomes addictive go with the bigger cam and build around it.

Hope this helps.
I would like this to be a DD first, and also keep as much of the stock gas mileage as possible. I think I would honestly be happiest with torque curve that starts even lower than the stock cam, and runs to 5000-5500. I was looking at that very same xfi cam. The pricing isn't much more than the LT4 cam. I think it would be closer in low end torque to the Crane 227, which was my favorite choice, after reading the cam selection thread. But, the crane is a bit expensive IMO. I already have shorties ready to go in. Other than maybe Long tubes if I can't stand the shorties, cat-back, or maybe CAI, I don't plan to do much else to it.
Originally Posted by white97T/A
07-304-8 - Xtreme Energy

This is a mild cam for example, at the bottom of the page it gives the recommended springs, retainers, etc.

looks like a set of springs does run about $200 or $12.50 a piece, makes it sound more reasonable.

Having the right springs is cheap insurance, when one breaks it can easily cost you $200+ especially if the valve drops in the cylinder.
I was planning to get the LT1 spring kit as well as valve seals from alexsparts linked in my second post. They seem to be well received around here. As important as I know they are, I just can't see spending 2/3 of the cost of the cam on springs.
Originally Posted by parkers Z28
The OP says that he has a 94 LT1 vette engine with factory 1.5rr and he really does not want to upgrade to 1.6 rr he just wanted to swap the cam he did not say that he had a LT4....
I was suggesting that he upgrade to the 1.6 rr and buy a good set of springs with the cam
I was thinking that it was a camaro LT1 with stamped rockers until I looked back at the OP..
The 1.5 roller rockers and springs that he has on the vette engine may be ok with what he wants
but I don't know
1.6's are definitely in my plans, but there shouldn't be a problem reusing the stock rockers with new springs, at least initially, correct? I have dumped so much money into this car lately, getting it ready to go back together. Rockers are a relatively easy upgrade to do later. $300 on clutch, $100 on flywheel, $200 on used shorties, water pump, opti, alternator, belts, hoses, etc..... It all adds up quick.
Also, wait..... Does the Corvette LT1 have 1.5 rr's? I assumed the only difference between camaro and vette LT1 was 4-bolt vs 2-bolt mains. Either way, considering that even the full hotcam kit comes with barely adequate springs, I doubt a stock vette LT1 would have strong enough springs for such a cam.

Last edited by Cam94Z28; 12-14-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

The Corvette LT1 and the F-Body LT1 have the same valve train. The same engine internally, except for the 4-bolt mains.

For more low end torque, look at the B-Body stock cam. That was designed to get those 4,200+# cars moving.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM

If you don't plan on tuning it immediately you aren't ready for a cam swap.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The Corvette LT1 and the F-Body LT1 have the same valve train. The same engine internally, except for the 4-bolt mains.

For more low end torque, look at the B-Body stock cam. That was designed to get those 4,200+# cars moving.
Thank you for the info. Parker's post threw me off :P I didn't think there were any differences other than the mains. Would have been nice though.

The Crane 227 is all over the impala forums as a highly recommended cam. Some of the milder comp cams appear to have similar specs.

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If you don't plan on tuning it immediately you aren't ready for a cam swap.
Many of the comp cams XE, and XFI cams for the LT1 are recommended for use with NO modifications. Not that I would leave it untuned forever. But, I can put up with reduced mileage, and less than top gains until that time. No point in tuning it first, especially if I'm also going to have stock 1.5 rockers for a while. Not sure if that's an option with the XFI cams, as they seem to recommend 1.6's.

Just browsing their site....
264HR-12 XE
07-501-8 - Xtreme Energy

266HR-14 XE
07-304-8 - Xtreme Energy

252XFI HR13
07-464-8 - XTREME Fuel Injection (XFI

260XFI HR13 as mentioned in this thread. Not even any tune required for this other than for 305 TPI
07-465-8 - XTREME Fuel Injection (XFI

Last edited by Cam94Z28; 12-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Nevermind. Run it untuned. Comp is always right. Internet claims > experience.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Nevermind. Run it untuned. Comp is always right. Internet claims > experience.
Seeing how, you know.... They designed the cams for this engine, and everything. I would think they are entitled to an opinion. They surely wouldn't want people complaining when their engine runs like a turd untuned. I also said it wouldn't be untuned forever. You basically suggested I shouldn't even bother. Even an untuned cc503 should be > stock. I am only installing a cam because the opportunity presented itself. My dad has been building engines since the 50's. I can save on labor, and be comfortable it'll be done right. I have to pull it out anyway to swap the 94 for a cam with 96 style dowel pin/opti drive. Putting a stock 96 cam in back in would just be stupid. Forgive me for wanting to save a few bucks for a month

The hotcam is beefier than any of the options I mentioned, and it is even listed as usable (will pass emissions) without a tune in the ls1tech selection guide... I guess I should ignore their recommendation too??? If it will pass emissions, it should run without a tune temporarily.
**LT1 Camshaft/Valve Train Selection Guide** - LS1TECH

Last edited by Cam94Z28; 12-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Administrator

If you are going to ask for help, you really need to listen to the help people are trying to give you. Run it without a tune, and you may run rich, washing the lubrication off the cylinder walls, destroying the rings, and diluting the oil to the point where you damage bearings.

And since you apparently don't want to hear advice like this, I'll drop out of this thread and stop annoying you.

Quick Reply: Best cam that will maintain stock low end torque