LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

bad mpg why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM

bad mpg why?

i dont know why but i went from getting about 230 miles to a tank to 160, why would this happen? and what to check or change? thanks for any help..
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM

230 miles of mixed driving? Tell me how!? LOL. I always get 160 miles a tank.. I can pull almost 300 pretty easy on the highway tho.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sick9lt1
i dont know why but i went from getting about 230 miles to a tank to 160, why would this happen? and what to check or change? thanks for any help..
SES light on by chance? Any exhaust leaks? I was poking around at the o2's.

Originally Posted by Sk8phreak88
230 miles of mixed driving? Tell me how!? LOL. I always get 160 miles a tank.. I can pull almost 300 pretty easy on the highway tho.
Comparing his engine to yours is apples and oranges hehe. When mine was stock I got 330 out of a full tank high way. It may of have .5 gallons left it in when I filled it back up.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
SES light on by chance? Any exhaust leaks? I was poking around at the o2's.

Comparing his engine to yours is apples and oranges hehe. When mine was stock I got 330 out of a full tank high way. It may of have .5 gallons left it in when I filled it back up.
no ses light but the exshaust burns my eyes and have a bad oil leak that is covering all under the car. i just orderd the gaskets to fix that. and in the morning the idel is fine but as the car warms up it will have a rough idel and a slight miss when it's at idel. but when i take off it's fine. could this be from the oil going all over the o2s or maybe the oil on the plugs and wires.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by sick9lt1
no ses light but the exshaust burns my eyes and have a bad oil leak that is covering all under the car. i just orderd the gaskets to fix that. and in the morning the idel is fine but as the car warms up it will have a rough idel and a slight miss when it's at idel. but when i take off it's fine. could this be from the oil going all over the o2s or maybe the oil on the plugs and wires.
I assume you mean you have an oil pan leak.

If the exhaust is burning your eyes, I'm guessing that you are running rich. Just need to find out why....yours is a 93 so that is speed density. How do your plugs look? Plug wires okay? If it's missing when hot, I wonder if the ignition coil or ignition module could be having issues.

Last edited by ACE1252; 06-04-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
I assume you mean you have an oil pan leak.

If the exhaust is burning your eyes, I'm guessing that you are running rich. Just need to find out why....yours is a 93 so that is speed density. How do your plugs look? Plug wires okay? If it's missing when hot, I wonder if the ignition coil or ignition module could be having issues.
i dont know i have to buy alot of things so i can test all this. i am done paying for pple to fix my car and it not be done right. i wish i new what it was and no i dont have a oil pan leak i think it is comming from the front main seal. just orderd the gasket to fix that. plugs look good i think they dont have any sings of oil or anything.

Last edited by sick9lt1; 06-04-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: left things out
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM

and i dont know what to do about it running rich i dont have 400 right now to tune it, i just spent the money on the motor.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM

See if the oil leak in the front is coming from higher up than the main seal. It is just as common to have a water pump gear or opti leak.

Sounds like it runs OK in open loop but when the car warms up and goes into closed loop (adjusts fuel by using multiple sensors) it goes wrong. Might be an O2 sensor.

Hal
Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Fisher
See if the oil leak in the front is coming from higher up than the main seal. It is just as common to have a water pump gear or opti leak.

Sounds like it runs OK in open loop but when the car warms up and goes into closed loop (adjusts fuel by using multiple sensors) it goes wrong. Might be an O2 sensor.

Hal
well i did see that i think i need a new guy to work on the car lol, i dont have alot of tools or know how but would like to do it myself. i see oil up there and on the passenger side wires and alot of other places. so i think its more. the sai that its comming from the main seal by the crank pully, the are saying that the under drive pully is not letting the pully go all the way in. i dont know what to think. oh and the oil is all over the o2s.

Last edited by sick9lt1; 06-04-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 PM

Not sure what they mean by the underdrive pulley is a problem. The normal pulley just stays on because it has the crank dampner, but it's no longer used (dampner is there to keep harsh shocks from the crank).

Oil flows down and gets blown back by the fan or speed, never up. The main seal is low, on the crank, so there is no way the oil would go up from there. Probably either the valve covers, wp gear seal, or opti gear seal. If you could get some good pictures that would help us guess better.

Hal
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Fisher
Not sure what they mean by the underdrive pulley is a problem. The normal pulley just stays on because it has the crank dampner, but it's no longer used (dampner is there to keep harsh shocks from the crank).

Oil flows down and gets blown back by the fan or speed, never up. The main seal is low, on the crank, so there is no way the oil would go up from there. Probably either the valve covers, wp gear seal, or opti gear seal. If you could get some good pictures that would help us guess better.

Hal
lol i ont know how to put a pic in where you type or i would post some pics of what it looks like. can you tell me how to put a pic in here and i will.

thanks
oh and i did have some what i though was bad blow by, when i would take the oil cap and the dip stick out the car had smoke comming out of them. but the guy that built the motor for me put this red stuff in a glass bottle and some other treatment in the oil and it stoped the smoke from there. and i do know the oil dont leak when the car is at idle we cleaned under the car and had it on the lift and for 20 mins no oil. so i ont know
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Do you belong to an online photo sharing service like Photobucket.com? If not join them then figure out the service to Upload a picture there (it's kind of tricky). Once you get the picture on their site, right click on the picture and select IMG and copy the link to the this site. All a lot of computer crap that may take you a few tries to get right.

Blow by is bad and adding magic gooey to the engine to make it stop isn't a good thing. A lot of people on this site just do things themselves so they don't get bullcrap like that going on.

Hal
Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM

just want to see if it works
Name:  l_f40745429b524c6e9970d4bda6785a21.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  14.6 KB
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM

ok and it dose i will post pics soon thanks man
Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 AM

i think my fuel filter is cloged where is it and how do i change it out

Quick Reply: bad mpg why?