LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ASM headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:02 PM

ASM headers

I bout some asm mid length headers for the Lt1 and they don't seem to fit. One side is hitting the K member and the other side is hitting the the drive shaft. Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Re: ASM headers

has the car been in an accident. Mkae sure thats everything clears....
Old 03-01-2006, 03:26 PM

yes the car has a slavage title
Old 03-01-2006, 03:33 PM

Driveshaft? I don't remember my headers going back THAT far?!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:43 PM

If the car being a salvage title isn't the reason for them to not fit, then I would definitly change your motor mounts. My passenger side flange would always vibrate on the k-member and after I changed to some ES poly mounts, no more vibration!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Yeah, if the car isn't bent check the motor mounts. I had a similar issue with mine and the mounts fixed it.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM

My bad it is hitting the steering shaft. The ASM headers will not fit. Tried everything and still about 1 to 1/12 inches off. Going with BBK shorty's so it will fit for sure I hope. Thanks for all the input
Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 95TAMaddog
My bad it is hitting the steering shaft. The ASM headers will not fit. Tried everything and still about 1 to 1/12 inches off. Going with BBK shorty's so it will fit for sure I hope. Thanks for all the input

Good luck, the BBKs are a royal pain to fit in there. Mine didn't line up with the stock Y-pipe (off by more than an inch) and the passenger side one bumps the K-member while turning and under load.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 95TAMaddog
Try turning the steering wheel. The steering knuckle will change position slightly as the steering shaft turns. If need be, hold the header down in the position you need for it to go and have a buddy get in the car and turn the steering wheel until the steering knuckle moves far enough for you to slip it in.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:31 PM

There is nothing wrong with those AS&M headers other than bad engineering. I bought brand new RK-sport headers which are AS&M clone rip off's.

The driver side header 1st primary was banging the steering shaft. I ended removing the steering shaft and modding it by extending it to make it longer, this way it no longer hits the shaft.

The passenger side header collector flange was hitting the k-member, i took a disk grinder and did some trim work on the k-member so the problem is gone.

The AS&M headers are great headers but you have to get creative with them to make them fit right. The AS&m's and RK's are the next best thing to long tubes and mine now fit like a glove with no issues period.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Bad engineering is a matter of personal interpretation. My ASM headers have always fit wonderfully in the car. The ONLY time I had clearance issues was after my motor was R&R'd and the stock rubber mounts had been re-used. And even then, the only clearance issue was the Y-Pipe collector flange was about 1/4" from the floorpan and would tap.

Steering shaft cleared fine, K-Member clearance was fine.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Bad engineering is a matter of personal interpretation. My ASM headers have always fit wonderfully in the car. The ONLY time I had clearance issues was after my motor was R&R'd and the stock rubber mounts had been re-used. And even then, the only clearance issue was the Y-Pipe collector flange was about 1/4" from the floorpan and would tap.

Steering shaft cleared fine, K-Member clearance was fine.

Okay, bad choice of words . I should have stated that there is a thin line between maimum performance and fit with these headers. The primaries are routed for the most HP but they do come close to hitting things like the steering shaft. Again they are great headers and I am not knocking them, just be advised that in more cases than not they do not 100% directly bolt up without having to tweak on somthing especially the y-pipe. From what I have read this also the case with most LT1 headers made by other brands as well.

I would still take the RK's or the AS&M's over any other non LT header anyday due to the bigger primaries and ability to accept bigger mods like H&C.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 PM

If you are having problems putting the headers IN because the steering shaft is in the way, just take it out. I absolutly had to take mine out to get the headers in. It really is not a big deal, it's almost idiot proof in that it seems to only go back in one way. Just make sure that you don't turn your steering wheel or the rack and pinion or else everything will be off.

Once I got the headers installed, the steering shaft has at least half an inch of clearance all the way around. As Fastbird93 said, the only complaint I have with these headers is the y-pipe flange is about a quarter inch from the floorpan and it does occasionaly vibrate. Nothing too bad, but still kind of annoying at times.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:41 PM

I love my AS&M headers, but the passenger side flange does hit the K member. Sounds like a nasty rod knock under moderate acceleration. Been too lazy to do anything about it.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:01 PM

My ASM's fit great, FWIW.