LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any trick to not blowing your head off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:56 AM

Any trick to not blowing your head off?

Today i decided to use some seafoam and some intake cleaner because i had nothing else to do. The seafoam worked great and smoked up the neighborhood, it made a bigger difference in smoothness than changing my spark plugs did.

Well i was using some gum out intake cleaner. I got the car in open loop, shut it off and got everything ready. I followed the directions which say to take off the elbow, start engine, spray inside tb for 10 seconds and stop for 10 seconds.

Well everytime i started the car without the elbow on it stalled almost instantly. I sprayed some inside and cleaned it decently while it was off and i had my sister turn it on and give it some throttle so it wouldnt stall. She doesnt drive yet so i just told her what to do and eventually she got it running. So i left it sit for a few seconds to burn up what was in there already. I then started to spray with the straw and after 5 seconds, it just detonated and shot a 10 foot flame out of my intake. I had gloves on and a sweatshirt so it just barely burned me. I was standing off to the side and it just shot out. I had everything out of the way and nothing got burned. Is there any trick to this method that doesnt involve blowing your face off? I was wondering if just by cleaning it while the car was off is good enough and if i really need to try again? Did i do something wrong and is there anyway that i can put it in somewhere, maybe one of the tubes going into the tb that would give less chance of ignitions?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:41 AM

Re: Any trick to not blowing your head off?

You can do most cleaning with the engine off.

If you do it while running, make sure to disconnect the MAF wire so the car will ignore the MAF reading, otherwise it will be very lean & stall or pop back through the intake. Either way, be careful so you do not get burned.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:08 AM

Re: Any trick to not blowing your head off?

park the car with the nose in the air so when you spray it in it automatically goes south into the intake and such