LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any other 96 Lingenfelter 383 package Z's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:14 AM

Any other 96 Lingenfelter 383 package Z's out there?

I just picked up a '96 6 spd Z28 LPE modified car, full on package mod right out of the factory back in '96 ($18k add on back then?). Just wondering if there are any others out there with this package on their Z? I can't seem to find any forums for this car in particular, or any posts of other owners....maybe I think it's more special than it is, but I gotta tell ya, this car rocks... I've had a couple Vette's (89 and 69, the latter totally built small block with over 420 HP) and some other rides that move on down the road, but this thing is really happening. Just wanted to share my excitement about this great car.... I'm new to the forum, and can't seem to find a way to post pics, guess you can't..... would have if I could have! Happy/safe driving to all!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 AM

Re: Any other 96 Lingenfelter 383 package Z's out there?

I had no idea that those type of cars existed. Sounds like a very bad *** ride though. Congrats!!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 AM

The LPE package was not a factory option. Some dealers may have arranged for a new car to be shipped to LPE direct from the factory and modified before the customer took delivery though. But if it did happen it was likely very rare.

From old Car and Driver articles on those cars I can remember, you ship them your car and leave it (for up to 3 months) for the work to be completed. The cars were 50 state emissions legal and aside from the added power, had drivability equivalent to stock. Lingenfelter even warranteed the conversions for 3/36 I believe.

Car and Driver magazine has tested a few of them over the years, and were impressed. Aside from one converted Formula breaking it's stock rear end (imagine that) during a 1/4 mile launch, all the cars tested were trouble free. Wait! I remember a LPE 383 T/A that ran in one of their One Lap of America events threw its driveshaft at 155mph. Right after that I think they started recommending the carbon fiber driveshaft option.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 PM

383LingenfelterZ,

Where are you located? Sounds like a sweet beast you just came up on.

Lates.

Ruben F.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:27 PM

I think there is a guy by the name of ABA383 and he has one. Do a search you'll find some info.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by JP94Z
The LPE package was not a factory option. Some dealers may have arranged for a new car to be shipped to LPE direct from the factory and modified before the customer took delivery though. But if it did happen it was likely very rare.

From old Car and Driver articles on those cars I can remember, you ship them your car and leave it (for up to 3 months) for the work to be completed. The cars were 50 state emissions legal and aside from the added power, had drivability equivalent to stock. Lingenfelter even warranteed the conversions for 3/36 I believe.

Car and Driver magazine has tested a few of them over the years, and were impressed. Aside from one converted Formula breaking it's stock rear end (imagine that) during a 1/4 mile launch, all the cars tested were trouble free. Wait! I remember a LPE 383 T/A that ran in one of their One Lap of America events threw its driveshaft at 155mph. Right after that I think they started recommending the carbon fiber driveshaft option.
--------------------------------------------------

yes, sorry, I guess I kind of made it sound like it was a 'factory' option, I know it wasn't...from what I know on this car it was sent by the original owner at 300 miles or so... I am the third owner, and have been promised by the second owner he will send all paperwork, including original window sticker and all LPE paperwork (car was on consignment at a dealer, NOT where the owner was).. I'm not holding my breath, so am getting LPE to type up the documentation on my car they still have in their database (thankfully) and send it.

RE: the rear end, I was told mine had been rebuilt (to stock I think) a few thousand miles ago (car has 68k on it now)...I'm guessing it's either 3.08 or 3.23 though (haven't had time to find the codes) as I got 27 miles per gallon driving it home to CA from KY! Anyway, I do plan to change the rear end to at least 3.73 gears, and am possibly considering 4.10's (my mechanic is talking about an Auburn carrier, Precison gears, and all bearings... (any thoughts from anyone?) .... With the 6spd I'd still have a pretty tall cruising gear, but want to take advantage of all the torque in the lower gears. I'm not going to be putting slicks on this thing nor do I intend to beat it up, but want the most g force bang for the buck.

I'll post some pics somewhere soon for those that might be interested to see it.....
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM

I have 2 auburn pro series, one in my Z's stock rear, and one in a 9". Decent all purpose units, but I wouldn't buy another, especially for a car as deserving as yours. I have a detroit locker truetrac, (worm gear posi) in an 8.5 10 bolt, and think it's the greatest thing ever invented, but don't know if they're recommended at your power level.

If you do go with the auburn, skip the GM additive everyone tell you to use. Go right to Redline's additive, and increase the dose 25%-50%. Nothing else will stop the hideous chatter.

Enjoy the new ride!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by gentner_z28
I had no idea that those type of cars existed. Sounds like a very bad *** ride though. Congrats!!
thanks! it is definitely a very cool car......there was one other one on ebay recently, a red one in texas i think.....I don't think he sold it, but i don't see it anymore either... but that one and mine were the only two I saw on ebay, and everywhere else I looked... it was obvious from the bidding too that not too many people do know about these cars, it was stalling at normal (low) Z28 prices...i didn't either really, just a gut feeling it was something special..seems like it might be pretty rare...trying to find out from LPE how many were done in 96....
Old 09-20-2005, 05:50 PM

I would recomend a 12-bolt either moser or strange.
-b