LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any help picking out a cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 AM

Any help picking out a cam

hi . I was wondering. If I can get your opinions. I thought a le2.2 cam to go with money afr 190 heads. I was first going to build a 383 but after getting the cam Brett told me this came woodent go with this cam that great I'm thinking about selling it. And going back to my 383 plans. My question for you guys is. What cam did you like with your 383 on the street this will be just a streetcar for the weekends and a feud days to work. Comp owes me a cam so I can get any cam in trade custom or a regular so please give me the part number when you recommend a cam. This way I can research it. Would like to get your opinions on this le2.2 cam on the street to with a 355 or 275. Do you really feel that much of a difference out of a 383 versus a 355 . Never had a stroker and have only had the scar running stock on the street don't know many people here in Stewart that have modified their lt1 s most people I see end up putting a 306 in their lt1 thing keeping it in the garage for the strip. I want to drive it a lot and use it almost every other day on the street only. A few people are recommending me to get the block decked. like to hear your opinions on this to. Does anyone know what this would cost to get it decked. Any help would be appreciated getting ready to order parts at this time
thank you Pat
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM

If you want an intelligent answer, you need to provide a lot of additional information. What is the CR? How do yoyu plan to use the car? Are emissions important? What rev range do you plan to use? What gears/transmisission/converter?

Rich
Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 PM

The gears are 3.42 or 3.73 it is a carrier three I think. It is a six speed. I have two cans that a friend gave me one is a new in the box le1.5 and the other is a le2.2 he is using the le4 now was going to be building a 383 but was told neither of these cams would be good for a 383. So I guess I'm doing a 355 or a 357 with a 3.500 crank to bring the piston a little higher. Lloyd and Brad both recommend having the block decked to zero. Haven't found a good shop locally to do this. We don't have any missions here in Florida where I live. The car will be just a streetcar. We'll probably never see the strip will be driven every other day and on the weekends in town and a little on the highway mostly a fast loopy streetcar I was going to do forged crank and rods for the 383. So I'm thinking of doing this scat or egel forged crank and forge rods if I use the le2.2 in less you think the stock crank can handle it. The rods I do want to do forged. Being I have to do the rod bolts anyway and it will be close to the same cost. Just don't know if a forged crank is overkill for this cam the my friend that owned the cam said the power comes in a round 3000 and pulls to 6500 plus. Have the specs but don't want to post them here. Just not sure if the le2.2 is a little too wild to be driven around town the components I already have PaceSetter , I think it's a 53TB it's the one down from the 58. Three-inch all the way back exhaus,. Rear end girdle for the 7.5, ram air, 1.6, comp came stainless rockers,1518 pack springs, gide plates afr, afr 190 early version C&C ported the early versions were C&C ported all the way to the valves heads have been shaved to 55 or 53 need to be cc ed as soon as I get the springs in this week, don't know if I should do 6 inch rods or 5.7 rods trying to read as many articles as I can about other peoples builds what components they used and how they set the block up right now I have a second block crank and rods to work with I know I am doing new rods. But in a dilemma with a crank forged or stock a lot of people are sending use the stock. But I want do do this right the first time so it lasts a long time and won't come apart. I'm guessing the to different cams will each have a different type of setup just trying to see the difference of these two cams on the street any info on your builds and you're set up would be grateful
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 PM

pmed to rskrause