LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

any guides or pics for the water pump drive seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:57 PM

any guides or pics for the water pump drive seal

I'm going to be installing my cam kit whenever it arrives, and have been told that it can rip very easy. I looked in the search, and found a few posts, but none of which help me. I haven't seen what the seal looks like yet, so I'm leary about trying to change it. This is why I need some guides or pictures. From what I understand it is the seal in the timing cover, and must be put in a certain way to be right.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:10 PM

Thumbs up

I was having a tough time getting it on right, but then this did the trick!

Originally posted by DaveW 396ci
As far as why the water pump seal fails so easily it is becase when installing the timing cover the inner facing part of the seal gets rolled outward. This results in it not "sealing" properly anymore.

The key to installing the new water pump seal is after you get the timing cover back in place you install the seal using the water pump gear extension as a "tool" If you put the extension up to the gear you will see that they have the same diameter. Clean off the extension of any curossion with a cup brush or some other method, lube it with some grease, slip the seal on it from the front. Then place the extension on the water pump drive gear ans slide the seal back on the drive gear. Get a deep well socket which is the same size as the outer diameter of the seal and tap it the rest of the way in place. e-mail me if you have questions. FWIW, I haven't had a wp seal fail when using this technique. I have seen probably 5 out of 6 WP seal installs fail when not using it.
DaveW
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=77150
Old 03-11-2003, 10:29 PM

This is pretty much a repeat of the above post. You will see a shaft that connects the water pump gear to the water pump. This shaft is the secret to getting the new O-seal on without ripping. Pop the old seal out with a small flat tipped screwdriver. The new seal is $8 at O'reilly's. Take the water pump connecting shaft and sand down one end a bit. I used a dremel and took me about 30 seconds. Now slide the new seal over the sanded edge of the shaft. It should be a very tight fit, but this helps you line up the seal onto the mounting gear and is the same size as the gear itself. Slide the shaft over the gear like it would normally sit and place a large deep socket over the shaft. Now use a hammer and tap the end of the socket so it taps the new seal into place. No problem with ripping seal and has worked everytime I have done a seal fix. If you try and just place the seal into place, I can almost guarentee that you will rip it. Now, just place everything back on and you're done. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, let me know,

Kyle