LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Another hub removal thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:00 PM
3gc

Another hub removal thread

I have my engine out of my car pretty much completely disassembled and am pulling the parts that i'm going to need for my new engine I ordered from Golen. I'm using a balancer puller with bolts through the balancer holes and nuts and washers on the other side so I don't damage the threads in the hub. The center bolt is threaded about about 1/2 way and the puller is pushing off this. I tried using an impact on the balancer puller but that does nothing but turn the engine over very slowly. So i tried using a breaker bar and that just lets me freely spin the engine. It has no heads etc. on.

How does everyone stop the engine from turning over when trying to pull the hub off?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Re: Another hub removal thread

Remove the center bolt and put a bolt that is about 4" long and too small to thread into the crank snout. The bolt will be in the snout loosely and will push off of the inside of the cranks snout. I was tryin to do it the same way as you are with no luck, and as soon as I tried it this way it came right off.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:44 PM

I use a little bit of oil between the end of the puller and the head of the bolt.

It's best if you did this with the heads on and the valves shut and plugs in, compression builds up quick and you can break it loose with ease. I just took mine off today actually.

I personally don't like the smaller thread size bolt method because it gets cocked to once side and also torques against the crank threads.

Your best bet is to have a buddy come over and have him use a breaker bar or flexplate turner to hold the flywheel/flexplate. You should only really need a 3/8 drive ratchet to pull it off the front.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
3gc

I got around to trying the smaller screw method a little while ago. The engine still tried to turn over but I stopped it by putting a 1/2 ratchet inbetween the engine stand, flywheel and block. But now I managed to strip the threads on my balancer puller.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:36 PM
3gc

After looking up how much it would cost to get a new hub, timing cover and cam retainer i got some much needed motivation to go back outside and get that hub off. I loosened up the bolts that i was using with the puller and moved the puller further down the threads so it wouldn't matter that a section was stripped. I then rememberd reading a thread where someone suggest applying heat to the hub while pulling it in order to get it off. That took it right off. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Sorta scares you when it goes POP doesn't it? Glad you got it off, that's a good feeling.