LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Almost finished with tune up / header install. Two Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:17 PM

Almost finished with tune up / header install. Three Questions.

1. I cannot find my O2 sensor extendors, so I can't hook up the O2 sensors till I find them or order new ones. Will it hurt my car to run without O2's hooked up, or will it not run, or will it run like crap?

2. I put new gaskets on all on the timing cover. The gasket on the water pump sprocket kinda flipped inside out on the top, but is fine on the bottom. How bad do y'all think it will leak, or do you think it will leak at all?

3. On the steering shaft right next to the driver's side header, can I cut the pieces of metal that stick out and almost hit the primary every time the wheel is turned, or do they serve a greater purpose. They just look like they stick out there for no reason. Also, can I go without putting back on that plastic steering shaft boot that goes on the bottom of the shaft? I don't think it will go back on anyway.

Summary so far: All I have to do is put in plug #6, run the wires down the passenger side, put the bolt in the crank hub, zip tie all the wires on the passenger side, put in starter/oil dipstick, water pump, coil, intake, find the O2 sensor extendors, and it's on like a chicken bone...

Last edited by SentimentalValue; 03-24-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 PM

Re: Almost finished with tune up / header install. Two Questions.

1. It will run like crap. At first it will seem ok, but then your SES light will come on and the car will begin to feel rough. Beleive me, I forgot to plug mine in when I drove to the shop to have my y-pipe fabricated. After 30 minutes on the highway...SES and rough driving.

2.not sure on the gasket...I didn't install my wp so I'm not too familiar down there. I would think a kinked up gasket is not good though.

3. I don't like to cut things, but the boot is just there to keep the shaft from rubbing/grinding against things. You should be fine without it.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:10 AM

1. Car will run like *** as it will adding fuel to an already rich engine.

2. Disassemble and fix the gasket. It will leak and on a 94.... thats not good! Non-Vented optispark.

3. I wouldn't CUT anything in the steering linkage. Maybe you can get away with shaving a little off. That plastic collar is needed but if you cant get it back on.... I guess your S.O.L.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:06 AM

I wouldn't recommend running without the O2s hooked up.

It will leak pretty badly.

For the steering, get a 'Rag Joint Eliminator' from Unbalanced Engineering to get rid of the metal pieces in the shaft. This will also tighten up any slop caused by the rubber piece.

I removed the plastic collar years ago and haven't had any problems. From what I understand, it's there to block heat from the rubber rag joint. So if you install the eliminator, you don't have to worry about it.

Thomas.

Last edited by Stoopalini; 03-25-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Here's how I fixed the water pump shaft gasket on the timing cover: I put the old one back in. After it's years of service it was large enough on the inner diameter not to kink when being put on. The new seals, both of them, were so toit like a toiger on the inner diameter that the inner seal would flop inside out every time...
Old 03-25-2006, 03:46 PM

I ended up going back to the parts store and getting another water pump sprocket timing cover gasket and worked it to size, and it went on correctly.

My next question:

Will it hurt the car to be cranked up long enough to back out of the garage and be pulled right back in the garage with no radiator/hoses/ or any of the cooling system for that matter? Also, the O2 sensors will not be hooked up at this time as I am yet to find those stupid extensions. The car will be running for 1 minute tops.

I'm pretty sure it won't, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 08:48 PM

You can lengthen the wires on the O2 sensors. I did that when I installed headers. Its been a few years now, with no problems.
You can run a car for a minute without coolant, it won't hurt it.