LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AIR injection, keep or ditch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM

AIR injection, keep or ditch?

I know this has been discussed, but I just typed in "AIR" in the search and nothing came up!

Anyways, pulling the engine on the 95Z for a rebuild and considering removal of the secondary air injection to clean up the engine bay and have less to worry about. What do you all believe the pros (I know I just listed 2) and cons are of removing this emission component? Same question for the EGR.

Here is my thought, the air is only used during startup, so I would only be polluting at that time. The EGR isn't even on my 96 LT4 Corvette from the factory, so I'm thinking it's validity is questionable. I will be using this car as a daily driver when I'm done.

What do you all think?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Re: AIR injection, keep or ditch?

The validity is not questionable. The AIR helps the cats heat quicker so they function sooner leading to less pollution. The AIR has nothing to do with EGR.

All that aside, your car will run and drive normally without it but watch for a check engine light....
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 PM

I think you might not pass emissions without it, if u need emission test. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Administrator

AIR only affects emissions at cold start. And I don't believe anyone checks the emissions at cold start conditions. If you delete the system you need to keep a good fuse in the electrical system to prevent a code from setting. And obviously it's not going to score high on a "visual" inspection.

You LT4 doesn't have EGR because GM determined that because of the overlap of the cam they didn't need the EGR to control NOx. They were able to certify the engine without EGR. That doesn't mean it applies the the LT1.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Who knows if emissions testing will come to Indiana? I'm willing to bet that if it does, it will be tailpipe only, without a visual. I guess I'll have to roll the dice.

For the record, I'll be installing the Crane "227" cam which is supposed to be pretty emissions friendly.

I'll probably end up sending the PCM out for tuning to remove the EGR and just keep a good fuse in for the AIR. We'll see what it looks like after I get the engine out.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM
ZZ

When emissions came to my area, it was the opposite. We have visual only for obd1, and OBD2 gets scanned, but no sniffer for either. I say go for it, but keep the parts you remove just in case.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM

When I bought my car it didnt have any emissions on it, ie AIR or EGR (no cat either), and it failed emissions. I added a cat and did a few things to lean it out a little (temporarily to pass HC and Co). It passed, but only barley on NOx. If it runs healthy than you may be ok, but for how long? Mine is boarder line now.

Last edited by Kubs; 08-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.