LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Advice needed on various parts to buy, share your experience please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 05:12 AM

Advice needed on various parts to buy, share your experience please.

I live in Denmark where there are not that many Camaros, and no decent speed shops, so I have to order from e.g. RKSport. I own a pretty stock 97 Z28 T-top, only modifications are high flow intake and airfoil. It’s got 60k trouble free miles on it, it’s my daily driver all year.
Now I’d like to spend a little money on it, but need your advice to avoid buying the wrong stuff. Any advice/pictures will be appreciated. Here’s what I consider buying:
1. Wheels: RKSport has the SS chrome 17"x9½", I assume they’ll fit alright, without touching the body. I thought about 18”, but doesn’t that look too much. And create a harsh ride?
2. Tires: I love my current GSCs, can they be found in 275/40 for the 17”? I also heard of a GSC-F1 tire that should be better. Low noise is a priority for me, I hate to hear the tires
3. Subframe connectors: RKSport has 2 alternatives, simple tubes or “diamonds” fastened in 4 places. Does anybody have experience installing/running these?
4. Ignition box: Crane has the HI-6S, is it good? Is it simple to install? Can you feel a difference?
5. Interior: I considered the expensive RKSport 6 piece Carbon Fiber Interior, the one where they coat the pieces in real Carbon Fibre and you have to send in a core. I’d like red because my car is red. How does it look, any pictures? Is the quality good?
6. Exhaust: I’d like a Cat Back system. It has to be as quiet as possible at cruising speed, but a nice loud idle and very loud WOT will be fine. And it has to have 2 proper (not Borla)exhaust tips, 1 per side. Any suggestions? RKSport has it’s own 3” system, is that any good?
7. Instruments: Those Autometer Pillar Gauge Mounts, do they blend into your interior, or do they look like crap? Looks like crap in the brochure

Please share your experience with me, so I can turn my stocker into something even better, without too much trial and error
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:46 AM

Can only answer about SFC and gages. I have the triangulated SFC like RKsports. It is my opinion (only opinion) that triangulated connectors of any kind are better than 2point. For example the strut tower brace. I believe Edelbrocks 3 point is better than a 2 point.

As far as the gage pods go, you can defenately tell they were added. Some come with cheesey 2 sided tape. I used epoxy to put mine in so it sits flatter. If you don't plan on doing a lot of engine mods than I would not bother adding gages.

RK has nice stuff but they are real expensive. Be sure to look at other sites like Jegs and summit. What I like to do is go to the mfr site to pick out the part and number then search for the best retailer.

Do you have a local retailer for tires, I bought tires online from the Tire Rack for my truck and I will never do that again. I will only buy tires from a local guy that I can go back and work with if there are problems.

Email a fine gentleman by the name of Shoebox at shoebox@swbell.net.
He has compiled the biggest "how to" on the internet with pictures I have ever seen. He can definately help and he is a super guy.
Good luck to you and enjoy Denmark you lucky B!@#$%^.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:07 AM

I'll bet you get a lot of looks with that car in Denmark.

1. Wheels - Those wheels will fit fine. 18's will fit, with some modification to the wheel housings. Some like the look, others don't.

2. Tires - I got different tires than the GSC's and my experience is that the GSC's are significantly louder than a lot of alternatives. I don't know what is available in Denmark, but I got BFGoodrich G-force T/A KDW's and they are much quieter and have better traction than the stock GSC's. You might have easy (and cheaper) access to some Pirelli or Michelin tires in Europe. They have some very nice high-performance tires, but those two brands are pretty pricey here. Everyone has an opinion on tires but take into consideration how you drive. I assume you don't do too much 1/4 mile action, so you want something that sticks in the corners and isn't too harsh.

3. Subframe connectors - The simple tubes are fine. Some swear by the full diamond style, but I doubt most could tell the difference.

4. Ignition - Can't tell you for sure about aftermarket ignition products. I would stay with the stock ignition until you have some engine mods that warrant it. You won't see an increase in power, and there is some evidence the higher voltage degrades the opti more quickly.

5. Interior - Can't help here. This is subjective. It's what each likes and is willing to pay for. Myself? I wouldn't bother at this point.

6. Exhaust - I don't know much about the RKSport system. Keep in mind that many people on this board like it simply loud. If you want to eliminate the cruise resonance, the Corsa system is probably one of the best choices. It's costly (~700 USD), but it is full stainless, and works well. Since you are out of the U.S. and shipping can be very costly, I'd keep it to full stainless systems so you don't have to buy new ones every few of years.

7. Instruments - Personal choice. I personally think they look a little tacky. On a stock car, they are overkill. If they look like crap in the brochure, you'd think that's the best they'd look if the marketing people did their work.

I don't know what the availability of other brands is for you, but BMR makes some very good, nicely priced subframe connectors. Heck, BMR makes several suspension and chassis pieces that don't cost a ton. It might be worth looking into.

Enjoy your mod-fest. Hope this helps.

BTW, everyone here is whining about $1.75/gallon gas. Does that make you laugh?

Cheers.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:09 AM

Great! 7 specific questions, 7 specific answers. Great Forum.

Any other opinions?
Old 03-01-2003, 10:47 AM

1. Those wheels will fit fine. They may be less expensive from SLP.
2. Check Tire Rack.com or Tires.com for tire size availability.
3. BMR has good quality subframe connectors at lower prices.
4. You will see no power gain from an ignition box on a stocdk or mildly modified NA motor. See http://www.ws6.com/mod-12.htm for a dyno chart.

FYI, I have not done business with RKSport myself but they have a reputation on this board for poor customer service which could be a problem for an international customer like yourself. I have had good dealings with TByrne Racing and others have spoken highly of Thunder Racing, both sponsors of this board.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:24 AM

I just got my second set of Firestone Firehawk SZ50s. My car originally came with GSCs. But I like the Firestones a lot better. I also switched to Corvette Grand Sport wheels, 17X9.5. The new tires that I just put on yesterday are 285/40ZR17. They work really well in South Louisiana because it rains a lot here.

For subframe connectors (I don't have 'em yet), but I will probably end up going with the ones from L. G. Motorsports because they also incorporate a driveshaft loop into their design. The loop is required for some events, I think at drag strips once you get up to a certain speed.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:36 AM

Are you sure about that?

The pictures on LG's website don't show a driveshaft loop as part of their sfcs, just a bolt on x brace. The do show a driveshaft loop as part of their tunnel brace, which looks identical to Granitelli's.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:18 AM

Question

I ended up buying everything from SLP:
10-spoke chrome 17x9 (SS standard) with BFG 275/40x17
Bolt on subframe connectors
Exhaust (not loudmouth)
And various small items

Does anybody know which tire pressure to use? They came with 42 PSI. My old 245/60x16 GSCs I used 33-35 PSI.

Thanks to everyone for advice...