LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Advice on my motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Advice on my motor

My Camaro hasn't been running since October of last year. It started with the water pump. So, I replaced that, which led to the Optispark. So, I replaced it, and evidently (I have no clue how, i feel stupid) but anyways, it got put on wrong. So, I took it all back apart, and put it back on correct and the car started. All this time, the car had sat through freezing temperatures, with the possibility that the coolant mixture wasn't thoroughly mixed throughout the motor/heads/etc. Anyways, the car started finally, so I was letting it run, but as it idled, i noticed smoke coming from the rear of the driver side exhaust manifold. I thought it could have just been something hitting it, so I didn't immediately think anything of it. Turned the car off, restarted it, ran fine. After running for a few seconds more, white smoke out the exhaust. So, I think head gaskets. Then, as the car is idling, a loud pop (I have pulled the intake so far, and found out the cause of the pop, a pushrod came off the rocker and must have hit the valve cover). Anyways, could the smoke have just been from the valves not opening all the way? Could the white smoke have just been moisture in the exhaust, is there a possibility that there could be that much moisture to "burn" off? If there is a chance that I could get my car running without having to pull the heads and get into all of that, it would definantly simplify everything. Upon my first suspicions of head gasket, I did, however, drain the oil and replace the filter, and did find a good amount of coolant in the oil.

I'm just looking for options, I don't have any money to put into this car, and I still owe $5k on it. Motor has 156k miles as far as I know on it, ran strong before water pump, opti, etc. The lifters are, I believe, in need of replacing, but that shouldn't cause any adverse effects like this, no? Any and all advice and help is definantly appreciated. I'm trying to get through school, and time and money is definantly not in abundance right now.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Re: Advice on my motor

Does anyone have any advice in my situation? I need to get this car up, as it is costing me money sitting here. If I get it running, I can sell it at least. Insurance and car payment on it isn't friendly right now.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-07-2006, 07:04 PM

Re: Advice on my motor

So nobody on here can offer me any advice? I know there are some people that know these motors good enough to give me an idea of what I should probably do.

Nick