LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AC line to back of compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 10:40 PM

AC line to back of compressor?

I just put a new line on the back of the compressor since I trashed the fitting going to the condenser. The compressor was out of the car. I put the compressor back in and tried to install the line. It's the line that actually has two connected at the back of the compressor. I tried for two nights now to get the mounting surface totally flush. The lines are in and all seems good but when you look at it the head of the bolt is visible but so is a tiny part of the threads between the mounting bracket and the condenser itself. Does anyone either have one out of the car or possibly take a look at it installed and see what it looks like please?
TIA
Old 08-23-2003, 11:06 PM

All that stuff was off my car when i got it, since it was totalled, and when i put the new condensor and lines on the back of it, it left a little ( less then a 1/16" ) gap, and i was tightening that thing as hard as i could... Dont want to strip it out ... And no matter how many times i tried it jsut wont tighten up, i think if the seals are in it rite though , it shouldnt leak, only way to know is to hook up a charging bottle and see .
Old 08-25-2003, 07:01 PM

I'm looking at about a 1/16" gap too. I also figured, as you stated, that I would wait to see if it leaks. I've had enough of that fitting for a few weeks anyway. I thought that I was going to get my arm stuck in there several times.
Thanks

Last edited by Mr.Whitey; 08-25-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 PM

Haha yea, that has to of been one of the most frustrating things in putting this thing together. I cant even remember how many tools got thrown across the yard and multiple cursing sessions over that gap ... I wish someone who has a working AC could show us a Pic and let us no lol
Old 08-26-2003, 05:40 AM

that is normal gap there that is the way it was made
Old 08-26-2003, 12:59 PM

There should be no gap!!

If you've removed the compressor, you have TWO bolts that will fit that hole, of DIFFERENT LENGTHS! I made the mistake of using the longer bolt on the compressor lines and had this same problem you are having. Use the shorter bolt... just have to figure out where you had put it
Old 08-26-2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by TheHeadFL
There should be no gap!!

If you've removed the compressor, you have TWO bolts that will fit that hole, of DIFFERENT LENGTHS! I made the mistake of using the longer bolt on the compressor lines and had this same problem you are having. Use the shorter bolt... just have to figure out where you had put it
I don't follow what you're saying. There is only one bolt holding the fitting onto the back of the unit. It's the same bolt that was on there before. I messed up the fitting that goes to the condenser so I had to replace the whole line. I took the bolt off and put it right back on.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:25 PM

lol kinda hard for me too find the exact bolt, i was given a plastic cooler, FILLED with nuts and bollts for the car, as well as a truck load of parts and was told "Put it together"...

At any rate, i found a bolt that seems to be the right length, bolted it down and tehre is a gap, and when i bolted it into the compressor while the lines were off it threaded almost all the way in ( Like a gap left of a litle less then that of the line retainer ) So i think its the right length, only problem is the bushing seal thingys hold it out ...
Old 08-27-2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by URAPNES
I don't follow what you're saying. There is only one bolt holding the fitting onto the back of the unit. It's the same bolt that was on there before. I messed up the fitting that goes to the condenser so I had to replace the whole line. I took the bolt off and put it right back on.
You said the compressor was out of the car and you reinstalled it. Make sure the bolt is absolutely correct. There are two bolts that will fit in that hole, and only one is the right one.