LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

"ABS INOP" light is on

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 08:32 PM

"ABS INOP" light is on

Like the subject says, my ABS light is on. What can be causing the light to come on and how do I fix it. Is it a common problem, and how do I diagnose this? Thanks for your help guys, Tom.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 AM

check your 3rd brake light, i bet its out
Old 07-03-2003, 01:17 AM

Woah one of my brake lights is out and my inop light came on yesterday How are they related?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:01 AM

Along with the usual suspects, check the ground terminal on the passenger side fender...it's located just behind the big red terminal block. I just had that problem...take the lugs off the bolt, clean everything with sandpaper or similar and tighten it all up. It supplies the ground for most of the ABS system components which are located on the opposite side of the engine bay, near the fusebox.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:36 AM

Both my friend and I had the ABS inop light, both of us changed our third brake light, and now both of us don't have the light on, nor has it come on since the bulb change. Replace them, if that's not it, check the ground, but I bet it's the bulbs.

Ryan
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 AM

I have abs inop as well, I havent search for cause of it, but my abs inst working too. if its because of ground/3rd brake light, doent abs dont work then?
or if light comes on and abs dont work then it have to be smth wrong with abs system?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:49 PM

my abs inop light has been on since my header install but i dont have any burnt wires or brake lights out...
Old 07-03-2003, 01:09 PM

Best bet is to get the code read...there's something like 90 different codes that can be set related to the ABS system. Checking the basic fuses, all the connectors, relay, etc. are good places to start...but without knowing the code, or having spare parts to try, it's a shot in the dark. The front wheel sensors are common fault items, specifically the wiring/connection. Try unplugging everything, check the connector, clean it and reseat...and definitely check the ground I mentioned above.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:28 PM

in my case there is no codes... what to pursure then ??? the grounds?
Old 07-03-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Hyperspeed97z28
in my case there is no codes... what to pursure then ??? the grounds?
That's odd that it didn't set an ABS code...how'd you check for them? It requires a different reader than the SES light stuff (i.e. Diacom, Scanmaster, etc.). I'll have to look at the schematics a bit when I get home, but on my 95 the light control line comes out of the ABS computer (pricey little sucker located under the dash) and I'd imagine the computer only turns it on when there's a problem, so it's baffling why it would turn it on, but not have a code associated as to why. <scratching head>
Old 07-03-2003, 03:18 PM

My low track light comes on when I come to a stop and the abs pulses. If it doesn't do that the abs inop light comes on and the abs doesn't work. Other times the cars fine. Anyone have an idea of what's going on? Please email me and let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:34 PM

I bought my Z 2 years ago. The day after I bought it the ABS INOP light came on. No cades were found by the dealer and the ABS operates as it should. I still have the light on to this day. Someday I'll get around to checking the grounds and connections, but it doesn't bother me any more.
The thing I hate is when the LOW TRAC kicks in when I brake. Very annoying, and I swear it's going to cause me to rear end someone someday.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Hyperspeed97z28
my abs inop light has been on since my header install but i dont have any burnt wires or brake lights out...
Mine too. It's been on for almost 4 years!! I don't even notice it anymore.
I think mine is related to the spark plug wires being too close to the abs components/ wiring. At least I've heard that can set off the inop light.

redcamaroz28,
So are you saying both of you had blown bulbs?
Or simply putting a new bulb in fixed it,even though the old one worked.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:38 PM

Here is My experience with the ABS Light on.

Key goes in... all lights ok then as I moved the car either back or forth sometimes the light came on sometimes it was just fine... then if I move the car slowly while braking to a very slow stop then the traction light would come on then the ABS would activate for a moment only to switch to ABS inoperative mode and turn the ABS light on.... brakes were non-ABS from there on until I turned the car off and back on again. I drove like this for ages but then I realized that everytime I came to a stop and the Traction light came on then car would pull to the right just a moment before it would deactivate the ABS and turn the light on again.

Armed with that info I removed the left front tire and all I did was unplug the sensor conector and pushed it back in while I wiggled it for a more solid conection.

The result My ABS brakes got miracously fixed since that day on. I never did the other sensors... My first try its all it took.

Marvin

**When in doubt... give them a ticket...(LAPD officer briefing fellow officers way back in the past... (I was just an ear shot away from them on that day). Now if only Rodney King woulve been that lucky! =X
Old 07-04-2003, 12:47 AM

Z28ROC:
One of my bulbs was completely black and burnt out, and the other looked like it was on it's way to going, so i replaced them both. My friend had only one out, but we replaced both just in case, and it solved our problem. It could be something much deeper or serious than just replacing the bulbs, but for less than $4 for 2 bulbs and a few minutes to switch them out, it's a lot easier to try this first than looking for wires/grounds/sensors.

Ryan

Quick Reply: "ABS INOP" light is on