LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

About had it. Help me figure this out! (update)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM

About had it. Help me figure this out! (update)

Started after the car set for awhile and got it in a day and a half later to it making this sound.

Sounds like its coming more from the passenger side. and in the back.
As in the other thread someone said adjust the RR and go from there. I did that with no change in the sound. So after that i went for Lifter. i replaced all the lifters on the passenger side. (broke and all the money i had). And now idk wtf it could be! Someone suggested a sticking valve.. but if that was the case wouldn't it not open and bend the pushrod?

Should i try changing the cam out? Could it be a spun bearing or something? Or maybe something to do with the clutch and the fly wheel?

There is a sound clip below. Please listen to it and give me more input!!

This thing is driving me nuts and i want my car back!

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=P3190001.flv
Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Something around the flywheel? Maybe pressure plate bolts or torque converter bolts backing out? Does not sound like a bearing to me. A bearing is more of a deep knocking sound. This sounds is metal banging metal IMHO.

Not valve train, the sound is too fast at idle. Remeber if it was valve train it would be half the speed of the crank.

Last edited by wrd1972; 03-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Something around the flywheel? Maybe pressure plate bolts or torque converter bolts backing out? Does not sound like a bearing to me. A bearing is more of a deep knocking sound. This sounds is metal banging metal IMHO.

Not valve train, the sound is too fast at idle. Remeber if it was valve train it would be half the speed of the crank.

So maybe i should look at the throw out bearing or something?? Also it didnt go away when i pushed in the clutch so i didnt thing it was.

but then again it speeds up when the car is in N and the engine is reved.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Something around the flywheel?

thats where i would start to look first
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
thats where i would start to look first
so i just ripped off the intake twice for no reason

Guess atleast i can do half a cam install really fast now.

Whats round the flywheel that you think could be making that noise? I don't know to much about the back half.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 PM

actually... just thought about it.. Do you think it sounds like a starter thats stuck out and keeps hitting the fly wheel....?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 AM

Is there an inspection plate on the M6 cars like on the A4's? I agree it sounds like something related to flywheel. Also, you could try the "long 1/2" drive extension stethoscope" trick. Get a minimum 18" long 1/2" drive extension, place one end against your ear, and carefully place it against various places of the engine. Take care for moving parts, voltage sources, etc. The location of the noise will be pretty easy to at least narrow down. Also, jack the car up and listen from under the car while it's running. Be safe, use stands, and don't lay under the car while it's running

Last edited by jasonface; 03-26-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by jasonface
Is there an inspection plate on the M6 cars like on the A4's? I agree it sounds like something related to flywheel. Also, you could try the "long 1/2" drive extension stethoscope" trick. Get a minimum 18" long 1/2" drive extension, place one end against your ear, and carefully place it against various places of the engine. Take care for moving parts, voltage sources, etc. The location of the noise will be pretty easy to at least narrow down. Also, jack the car up and listen from under the car while it's running. Be safe, use stands, and don't lay under the car while it's running
I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. and poke around the flywheel. and maybe drop the trans if i have to. ( got to replace a rear main seal anyways)
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 PM

So i now this its rod knock =(

What are my options at this point?

I youtubed it and it sounds exactly like my problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM

Check that you don't have a rear main seal housing bolt backed out. That noise is awful metallic sounding for a rod knock.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 PM

I had a similar noise when I busted a valve spring,might check the drivers side,as noises travel weird in these cars.Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Is it a M6 or A4?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TeamingTealZ28
Is it a M6 or A4?
M6...
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Check that you don't have a rear main seal housing bolt backed out. That noise is awful metallic sounding for a rod knock.
Well i youtubed Rod knock and found a WRX with the EXACT same noise. I'm about to go double check the filter and oil and look for shavings. I'll cross my fingers. And by RMS housing bolts what do you mean? The torx one that surround it? i'll post a link in a min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9LJP1mw0es

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I had a similar noise when I busted a valve spring,might check the drivers side,as noises travel weird in these cars.Hope this helps.
I have the valve covers off and everything looked fine.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM

Sounds just like when a piece of my starter broke off and was hitting the flywheel.

Quick Reply: About had it. Help me figure this out! (update)