LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A4 1st gear mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 12:25 AM

Anywhere show pics of this mod or can explain it in more detail..can I just lift off the cover plate on my a4 to get to it or do I have to remove the whole console..? and what do I need to remove it..dremel work or what.I don't like it not going to first an can I then buy the 3.23 face plate that has the 1st gear marks on it..??
Old 10-19-2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by 80TA
.What is the advantage to this really..doesn't the car leave in first anyway if you leave it in drive.
I use first gear for my burnouts at the track, so it won't upshift. Of course I'm an idiot and sometimes forget to put it back in 3rd or drive... so I launch and then bapapapapapa!!!!! no upshift.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 AM

Okay... Just want to clarify a few things before I pull my car apart and can't put it back together again (again..)..

Do I just have to remove the piece of plastic around the shifter, or the whole console?

Once off, is this black plastic thing pretty obvious to spot? Will I see it and think "wow, i know how that comes off! where's my toolbox?"

Thanks...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:08 AM

80TA - i actually want to find an aluminum plate and surround for the shift section of the console to replace it with... Might get one made if i have some spare $$
i looked on the net and it's impossible to find cool pieces for 4th gens.. all these catalogs for 1st gens though..
Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM

It's a piece of cake, just pull the clip out of the front of the shifter **** (a small flat blade screwdriver works well), and lift off the shifter ****. Then lift up the plastic cover (with the gear numbers on it), take an exacto knife or sharp blade and slice off the block. You don't have to disassemble the console or anything. Once you have the cover lifted and slide the shifter back and forth, it'll be obvious which piece you have to cut.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 AM

My advice if you're going to do this is:

Take the **** off as described above
Take the upper console cover off (A4 shifter plate) as described above.

Put key in ignition and turn ignition to ON position (don't start car).

Put foot on brake.

While watching the shifter mechanism (side closest to the center console box), shift the transmission from Park all the way down to 2 and you should see it bump against a piece of black plastic.

That is the piece that the person above is describing cutting out.

Put car back in park, turn key off, cut plastic.

Turn key on, foot on brake, put car in 1st (count if you have to P-R-N-D-3-2-1) to make sure it works. Then put it back in park, key off again and put it all back together.

Now be careful when you're cruising in anything other than D because you can easily pull the shifter back into a lower gear on accident. And with 1st being selectable now, it's feasible to accidently shift it into 1st when you shouldn't and possibly create problems for yourself.