LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

'96 SS pcm different???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:13 PM

'96 SS pcm different???

I was wondering if anyone else ran into this. I replaced my computer with a '96 Z28 to do some troubleshooting and the rev limit was at approx 5750 RPM. Stock, my car ran up to 6,100. Also, with the SS pcm, I could hold the car in 1st (auto) without it shifting to 2nd like the Z-28. Car also seemed to run a little "different", hard to explain but it didn't seem as powerful. Did the SS cars get different tuning? My car is #975. I was told that only the first 400 or so were modified. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Did you buy your car new or used? If used, it's possible the other guy modded it a little.

To my knowledge, the only SSs that got a modified PCM were the 100 or so LT4 SSs made in 1997.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:37 PM

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner. Brent is exactly right. There was never any modified computers in ANY LT1 Camaro SS, 96 or 97. However, the LT4 Camaro SS (100) did have a slightly modified computer (which was essentially LT4 KM) to compensate for the increased valvetrain noise.

The previous owner very well could of had a Hypertech hooked up to your PCM, obviously if there was a 1st owner.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
Did you buy your car new or used? If used, it's possible the other guy modded it a little.

To my knowledge, the only SSs that got a modified PCM were the 100 or so LT4 SSs made in 1997.
According to Jim aka INTMD8 who has one of those 100 LT4s, the PCM on those had a stock LT1 program...
Old 06-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by madwolf
According to Jim aka INTMD8 who has one of those 100 LT4s, the PCM on those had a stock LT1 program...
Yeah, but, I do believe there was a recall on the LT4 SS Camaros to have the tuning changed.

I talked to an owner of one of these cars and he said his car ran stock over 14 second quarter mile times. He had the recall done and the car dropped to low 13s. I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly what was done during the recall but I believe the car came with larger 28 lb injectors and the PCM wasn't programmed from the factory to account for the larger injectors since it was a stock PCM. The PCM was then reprogrammed by GM to account for the installed 28 lb injectors vice the 24 lb injectors which is what the PCM thought the car had. I'm not sure what else was done during the programming but this is one of the items and I what accounted for the nearly 1 second decrease in his 1/4 mile time according to him. He also told me that all the LT4 Camaros were supposed to get this updated programming.

So, I guess you are correct in that from the factory they came with a stock PCM but it is my understanding that they all have or should have been changed

Oh, I just went and did a Google search of the guy who told me the above and it was this guy... http://www.firstgen.com/Rick's%204th%20Generation%20Camaros.html I saw him at a car show once.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:22 PM

I ordered the car brand new and it was sent here to Germany through the military car sales. Only 2 SS's were sold through the military car sales in '96. I originally tried to get a 1LE Camaro but was told that it was only available through certain dealers and wasn't supposed to be sent overseas. I then got the SS. It's an auto with 3.23s as the wife wouldn't let me get it as a stick. (she now knows how to drive a stick though) It is pretty much a stripper model, no PW, PDL, no cruise, no fog lights, and a painted (Polo Green) roof, not black. I did not get the optional exhaust as a Flowmaster was cheaper and provided more power. From what I've been reading, my car doesn't seem to "match" what others claim it's supposed to have or do. When the car was stock, it ran 9.30s at 78mph in the eight mile. Track was at a high elevation and the traction was nearly non-existent. Car ran a best of 9.02 at 80 mph. I know it doesn't compare to yours, but I haven't done any "serious" mods. Yet.
Does this added info help out any? Thanx for the help. It isn't easy getting info on this car. If the car came with any other SS items, it was stolen during shipment. I had to get another owner's manual supplement and was told that I could't do anything about whatever else the car was supposed to come with. Even the "plaque" was attempted to be removed.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:07 PM

Forgot to mention that the car shifts at 6k when WOT (stock settings). Sometimes it hits the rev limiter cuz it climbs so quick. Why do people say that the LT1 runs out of breath at around 5,700? Maybe in high gear, but not on it's way up. I set the rev limiter for 6,300 and add 1 for the upshift with my HPP and it still hits the limiter once in a while. Does it sound like the car has been modded by SLP? Once again, my car is a '96 LT1. I wish I had a LT4.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:13 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
FWIW, I have never noticed any differences between any LT1 F-body files, be it Z28, SS, WS6, LT4, etc.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe the computer you put in your car is from a 2.73 car, which would change your shift points and make it feel slower. Does your speedo still seem accurate?

Also, my LT4 SS has stock LT1 injectors (not 28's), stock LT1 programming, and even has EGR. Scott Settlemiere told me they even have LT1 camshafts because they wouldn't pass emissions with the LT4 camshaft.

An oil change and dyno tuning brought the car from 285rwhp 311rwtq to 311rwhp 325rwtq.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:15 PM

What kind of dyno tuning?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:23 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
I mentioned the dyno tuning because of Brents post about the LT4 cars. Not trying to imply you would get similar results out of an LT1. (Allthough I think some gains could be seen).

The horsepower gains seen in dyno tuning are from finding the ideal A/F ratio, and ignition timing curve.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by INTMD8
Also, my LT4 SS has stock LT1 injectors (not 28's), stock LT1 programming, and even has EGR. Scott Settlemiere told me they even have LT1 camshafts because they wouldn't pass emissions with the LT4 camshaft.
Hmm... I wonder what this Rick guy was talking about then? You might want to email him and ask him directly what GM did to his after he bought it. I don't know why he'd give me a line of crap... seemed like a nice enough guy Heck, if nothing was done to your car maybe it should have been and this Rick guy can give you some advice!

If you find out anything additional, please let me know or reply here!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:57 PM

WS6 TRans ams have different MAF table
Old 06-02-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by INTMD8

The only thing I can think of, is maybe the computer you put in your car is from a 2.73 car, which would change your shift points and make it feel slower. Does your speedo still seem accurate?

I put the SS pcm back in. Even if the other pcm was from a 2.73, why did it shift to 2nd on it's own even though the shifter was in 1st?
What is everyone elses stock RPM limit?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:46 PM

Still looking for answers...
Old 06-03-2003, 01:57 PM

Just a thought.The factory tachs are off.I know mine reads about +200 RPM's.You say it went to 6100,which really is about 5900.So its pretty close to where it should be.

Quick Reply: '96 SS pcm different???