LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

'95 M6 Trani locked... help! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 09:48 PM

'95 M6 Trani locked... help! (Long)

I just got done replacing the clutch in my '95... It drove fine for about 50 miles, and then the car crapped out on me. I have narrowed it down to the transmission, but I'm not too sure where to go from here. If anyone knows anything about this, please help me out! Here's what I can tell you so far...

Clutch looks fine... no nicks, flywheel spins, throwout bearing releases, etc...

Can row thru all the gears... but sometimes have to fight 4th...

No reverse lights when car is in reverse.

Car will start and idle as long as the clutch is in, but as soon as you try to let it out, it dies... no movement in the driveline.

The part of the trani that extends thru the clutch (is this the pilot bearing??? I don't know what it's called!) doesn't spin. I know it's supposed to, so I assume this is the main problem, but I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.

I'm sorry if I sound incompetent, but I've never actually work on the internals of a transmission before. I've wanted to learn for quite some time, but this wasn't the situation I had in mind. I appreciate any help you can give me! I'm pretty good at following instructions, and I have someone to check all of my work, but he doesn't have time to sit there and tell me exactly how to do everything.

Oh, by the way. I have the GM factory repair manual for my car, so it has all the info for me to do the rebuild... (Diagrams, instructions, tools needed, part numbers, etc...) It's set up for mechanics with experience and training though, so I'm a little lost... Am I going to need to do a complete rebuild or does it sound like only certain parts need to be replaced???

Sorry this was so long!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:54 PM

The shaft that extends throught the clutch is the input shaft and the pilot bearing is what the tip of the input shaft goes into. To me it sounds like you broke a shift fork causing the tranny to be stuck in two gears or some gears trashed out. The only way is opening the tranny.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:18 PM

I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the whole tranny and replace all the gears, so I hopefully I won't have any problems after that. I haven't had time to open it up yet, but now I have an idea of what to look for. Thanks for your help!