LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

650+whp daily driven

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:33 PM

Re: 650+whp daily driven

my goals to accomplish is a really fast car that is able to be driven day to day at will. i'm not saying i will drive this everyday, but i do want it to be capable. this will not be a track only car. i want to be able to take it on cruises w/ fellow car enthusiasts w/o worrying about it breaking down on me or stalling out due to an extreme cam. i understand that this car needs to be boosted to attain those numbers and i'm well prepared for it. this is my plans so far.

-355 ci short block w/ forged internals, compression will be 8.5:1
-LT4 heads and intake manifold, ported and gasket matched
-custom grind cam
-vortech supercharger w/ aftercooler pulling as much boost as it needs to attain my hp goal.
-strange 12 bolt and 3.42 gears
-tubular k-member and other parts for chassis stiffness
-ws6 springs and bilstein shocks
-torque thrust II's 17x9.5 and 17x11 on nitto 555R

the reason why i want to pull really high horsepower numbers is due to the imports on this small island. we have toyota supras pulling 700+ hp driven daily, high hp skylines, high hp honda's (thats right lol hondas, 550+ to the wheels). if this little 6's and 4 bangers can do it, why can't v8's? this is the budget 25,000.00. i have the money in hand, i just need ideas and comments. please point me in the right direction and help me build one of the baddest lt1's around.

Last edited by 97formula808; 01-03-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM

sounds like your gonna have a hell of a time tuning that thing considering there is a bunch of imports running around...be different turbo it!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:32 PM

i've decided that since i dont' trust any of the backyard dyno tuners around here, i'll ship my car to the mainland for dyno tuning. so heres the budget 25000.00 for the anything that the engine needs to get to 650+whp. chassis and suspension is in another budget. Basically i want to spend about 50-60k dollars on this project. yes i do have the money in hand and ready to be spent. i just need more research on this project so it doesn't cost me more than it needs to . i need to beat a daily driven supra that is running 9's. we recently had hawaii's street car shoot out and this year an import won! i need to bring the title back to the domestics!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 PM

Are you looking for a recipe? How much do plan to do yourself? I think you are looking for a turnkey solution. there are a number of people who can do this. Do you want a parts list? I am not sure what the question is at this point, but at least your budget is realistic.

Rich
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM

yes i would like somewhat of a recipe for my hp expectations. i would also like some comments from people who are in taht hp range. thanks. i want to kill these damn supras running around . so can someone tell me teh recipe needed to kill them at the track and on the street. i do not really street race, i just want to be ready for a punk to come next to me. recipe please. keep in mind, it has to be very streetable.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM

A supercharger is easier to tune than a turbo, just something to think about...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

First, WHAT ISLAND ARE YOU ON?

Originally Posted by 97formula808
my goals to accomplish is a really fast car that is able to be driven day to day at will. i'm not saying i will drive this everyday, but i do want it to be capable. this will not be a track only car. i want to be able to take it on cruises w/ fellow car enthusiasts w/o worrying about it breaking down on me or stalling out due to an extreme cam.
When you say this you mean DEAD NUTS RELIABLE! And the $20K is going to cover the stuff to get the motor, bolt on to the motor and feed the motor. Your not going to do the tranny, rear etc.... within that $20k.

Dead nuts reliable, means everything has to be done right. Which means if you are asking how to do it, you are going to pay someone else to do it.

i understand that this car needs to be boosted to attain those numbers and i'm well prepared for it. this is my plans so far.

-355 ci short block w/ forged internals, compression will be 8.5:1
-LT4 heads and intake manifold, ported and gasket matched
-custom grind cam
-vortech supercharger w/ aftercooler pulling as much boost as it needs to attain my hp goal.
-strange 12 bolt and 3.42 gears
-tubular k-member and other parts for chassis stiffness
-ws6 springs and bilstein shocks
-torque thrust II's 17x9.5 and 17x11 on nitto 555R
The 355 or 383 can do it.

The LT4 heads are a waste here, get a TFS or AFR casting. So you have better deck thickness and better sealing for the motor.

Your talking about 850+ hp on a pump gas motor. It can be done with a blown small block (LT1) but it has to be done correctly.

If you are just trying to beat ANYTHING else out there, then getting a car to hook on the street means it needs tire and a predicable TQ curve. Most turbo cars don't do either of these things well, I'd definately plan on a Vortec T-Trim or larger to do this.

Bret
Old 01-03-2006, 11:57 PM

Call Mike at haddad motorsports in Inglewood CA. www.haddadmotorsports.com He has access to race engine builders that can build a reliable engine that makes the numbers you are looking for. Mike then would do the tuning in his shop where he has a dyno and all the toys to get the setup dialed in. Hes also in southern California which i believe would be the closest place for you to ship your car.

My vote would go to an all forged 396 with a fully ported AFR top end and an Ugly hyd roller. Then force feed the setup with a Procharger. Put it to the ground through a built TH400 with gear vendors if you want OD and a solid suspension setup. The specifics can be worked out once you find someone whos willing to tackle the project.

Steve
Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Steve,

I wouldn't do the 396 and ProCharger, last thing this guy needs is TQ on street tires.

Bret
Old 01-04-2006, 11:41 AM

Ah this is true Bret. So maybe like an All bore 372 SBC conversion? I just cant see a 355 LT1 being worth much below 3k rpm while having to turn a big blowdryer (maybe thats a good thing on street tires). So i guess the compromise would be a 383. Little extra stroke goes a long way.

What kind of bottom end was Jordon running on his turbo car? That thing was nasty. Of course i only ever saw it race from a roll i bet it was a challenging to hook on any kind of street tires.

Hey 97formula808 check out www.fastblackcar.com theres actually a video where Jordon races your Supra buddy.

Steve

Last edited by blackz97; 01-04-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

Nah the 355 will get it done... it's just the block work that needs to be done to that to make it live how he wants it that's important.

Bret
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....

Basically i want to spend about 50-60k dollars on this project. yes i do have the money in hand and ready to be spent.
A little more and I'll sell you my car.

Other than that, IMHO, turbo is the way to go, PTK is probably your best option.

I would not use a stock ECU at that level, FAST or BS3 is the way to go.

Dual intank walbros with stock lines and rails, 72-83lb injectors.

355-ish cubes, AFR, or aftermarket heads (because of their thicker deck surface).

I can get more specific, but with the above mentioned parts you will be building an 800+rwhp capable setup, but I would not personally run it at over the 600rwhp level on pump fuel, and that's if everything is built and tuned perfectly.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 PM

I know exactly where this guy is coming from. I hate MKIV Supras, and here in Florida we have a bunch of em making a ton of street driven HP.

They run around on pump gas at reasonable levels of HP, but utilize big (66mm+) single turbos coupled with expensive engine management so that when they decide to race, they fuel up on C16 and switch to 18+ PSI.

Not unusual for them to be making 650+ at the wheels, and many have gone quite a bit higher.(I'm sure you've heard of the Supras vs Hayabusas) They are in essence dyno queens, and never cut really low E.T.s at the track (they also use aftermarket TC systems) but are all about mile per hour. That is why Supras are famous for roll racing, and most Fbody guys are all about hooking from a dig. I apologize if I'm rehashing common knowledge.

I think he oughta use the same approach. Forget the low end torque. Forget big cubes. Build the stoutest bottom end he can, go large single turbo.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 PM

If the goal was to beat the Supras on pump fuel, it's one thing. If you are willing to switch to race gas when racing, it's another. Somewhat different combos would be in order. If you want to beat them with pump gas, I'd say GO BIG. Cubic inches will be your friend here. I'd go for a wild NA setup and add as much nitrous as needed. Preferably a dual stage port system. A 500-550hp motor plus a 250hp nitrous shot out to do it. Put in a big bottle so you don't run out. If you are going to run race gas when beating on it, go for a huge turbo. You ought to pull them pretty good up to 160 or so, and any street race outght to over long before then. They will not race you at a track from a stop, or even on the road from a dig, so don't even worry about that.

Rich
Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 PM

my main reason for doing this build is not to street race but to have a fast reliable car. i just want to make sure that my car is ready for anything on the street. basically i want everything lol. i want reliability, handling, power. i'm prepared to spend cash. so far i've bought the vortech t trim system w/ aftercooler, a larger volume water pump for the aftercooler, larger heat exchanger.

i want to try and buy the short block from the mainland but i have no idea where from.

does anyone have any suggestions on heads and intake?

thanks

Quick Reply: 650+whp daily driven