LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

4L60E Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:36 PM

Angry 4L60E Problems

I have the same post in the drivetrain forum, but the LT1 forum get's the most traffic so I hope I dont get anyone upset for posting it in here also. I have a 95 Z28 w/ an A4. The other day, while I was driving, the transmission wouldn’t shift into 3rd gear. I did some more driving tests that same day and this is what I found. When the shifter was in over-dive the transmission wouldn’t shift into second, I would have to start in 1st and manually shift to 2nd. I checked the transmission fluid and there was a mixture of reddish and black which I believe something was burnt. I’m 23 and know a lot about cars, but when comes to new problems I like to ask around before I start taking my transmission apart. Any help on diagnosing the problem with my transmission would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:17 PM

Well, it sounds like your seeing some clutch material mixed with your trans fluid, same thing happened to me...i think i remember reading something about when an electronic transmisson senses a problem, the computer keeps the trans in second gear and won't upshift or downshift.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:36 PM

So sounds like I just need to replace the clutches or I'm missing something elese. Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 06:47 PM

i dont recommend that you rebuild your own transmission, i dont know if you've done it before, i have, i wont ever do my own, its not as easy as you might think, id leave it to someone that does it for a living, especially in a car that your going to be driving hard...get a shift kit put in and look for kevlar clutches for the the rebuild.. ive also heard something about replacing all the steels in the clutch packs with more clutchs, gives alot harder of a shift, but ask around and get some more opinions/suggestions
Old 01-14-2004, 07:16 PM

Well, here is the dilemma that I’m having. I don’t know if I should replace the 4L60E with a turbo 400-350 or to rebuild it. Some time by the end of the year or beginning of next year I will begin to build a new motor, I want to get to 500hp. Now I hear from a lot of people on this board saying the 4L60E could not with stand that much hp. Instead of putting in a turbo 400 or 350, is there a rebuild kit for the 4L60E that could help it take that much hp? I just want to get the right transmission in the first time.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:45 AM

Question

Any suggestions on were to go with the transmission, or if there are any good rebuild kits for the 4L60E?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:17 AM

Well, here is the dilemma that I’m having. I don’t know if I should replace the 4L60E with a turbo 400-350 or to rebuild it. Some time by the end of the year or beginning of next year I will begin to build a new motor, I want to get to 500hp. Now I hear from a lot of people on this board saying the 4L60E could not with stand that much hp. Instead of putting in a turbo 400 or 350, is there a rebuild kit for the 4L60E that could help it take that much hp? I just want to get the right transmission in the first time.
There are rebuilders that can make a 4L60-E handle that kind of power but they probably aren't right down the street from your house and they aren't cheap. If anything can be said for the 4L60-E, it is two things the most common transmission in the world and the one that is most often f'-d up when it is rebuilt by some bozo.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E.htm
http://www.levelten.com/store/gm/ite...7000_trans.htm

Paying $500 for a rebuild will not get you a transmission that will live very long. The skill of the assembler and the quality of the parts used is the biggest problem with el-cheapo rebuilds. If you just need a stock trans that will last as long as the original, a GM SRTA is probably a good deal. Transmissions require numerous special tools and skills to properly assemble. Just knowing "a lot about cars" isn't going to help you. I know a lot about cars and I can rebuild a transmission to stock specs but I would just as soon take apart an antique pocketwatch as build a high performance unit. You get a lot better performance if you leave it up to real experts.
Don't go to Cottman or any other chain rebuilder.

Last edited by dave1w41; 01-15-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:33 PM

I guess the question that I’m asking, should I rebuild the transmission or get a th 400 or 350? I have read a lot on this board that the 4L60E could not hold that much hp stock, but never read anything on a race inspired rebuild.

I was never planning on rebuilding the transmission myself; I just wanted to have everything planned out before I take it out myself. Now if a different model transmission would be more beneficial, then I would take the car into a professional shop. I’m sure there would have to be some modifications done and I know that I’m not skilled enough right now to tackle the job on my own!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:40 PM

a turbo 400 would be a good choice, but your right their is some other mods that need to be done, i remember someone explaining them so try doing a search for the transmission swap...the only thing i remember about the swap is that you need an m6 trans brace and you need a driveshaft made...
Old 01-16-2004, 12:23 PM

Anybody know of or using a good reduild kit for the 4L60E?