Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Shooting For The 9's, Details Inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 07:02 AM

Post Shooting For The 9's, Details Inside

I have tried a few of them ET calculators, but I have already run what they predict and that was 75rwhp ago.
Tuning is still under-way, but so far I am very pleased with the results. Let me preface this by saying that all of these numbers are from the Mustang Dyno at Automotive Performance Engineering here in MI.

The race weight is 3650lbs with me in the car. It has made 557rwhp and similar torque numbers, I have forgotten the exact number right now but I know it was in the 550-580 ft/lbs area.

These numbers were made on the 200 hit of the good stuff. I also had issues with my drive shaft for the last year that I have never noticed until we were under it at APE. Firstly the tailshaft bushing had become dis-lodged and the driveshaft was an inch too long.

Now that my novel is over what do you think it will run. I have a 4l60e so this will not be a trans-brake launch.

I am looking for 10.teens in the heat at 135mph or so. In a month or so once it cools down I hope to tap the 9's With the way the car feels since its been at APE getting sorted out, I don't think this will be a problem at all.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

------------------
Nick D'Agostino
1997 Silver Camaro SS
ARE Built 396ci LT1
Moser 9" Rear End
HAL 12 Way Shocks
4L60E Race Built Trans
TNT Twister NO2 System

Best Times To Date
NA Time 12.15@111mph
NO2 Time 10.66@128mph

E-Mail For More Info

1995 Emerald Green Formula
Stock For Now
Times to Come

If you live life by the book, all you get is what has already been written.

I am a Proud Supporter of ......Boycott Lapeer Dragway
Old 08-20-2002, 12:55 PM

The car is heavy and underpowered to run 9's in my opinion. Keep in mind ET is more driver than car.

------------------
Bobby Simpson II *Bling Bling* Sold Seperately...
32 Valve Dominion Headed 1994 Z28... "White Lightning"
Budget Performance Racing...Layin' the smack down

"My skillz are impeccable..."
Old 08-20-2002, 01:03 PM

I suppose its possible, but I wouldn't hold your breathe. You didn't mention much on the rear gear, Converter, etc. A transbrake would be nice also.

At that weight, ya better use a bigger pill.

------------------
Kurtis Tamez
LT4-396.com
97 Z28 LT4-396
94 Firehawk LT1-396

Team NW F-Body
Old 08-20-2002, 02:28 PM

terming that even optimistic is a reach in my opinion.

I know the Mustang Dynos are low, but still....

At 3,600lbs and, for argument's sake, let's say you're making 650 at the wheels. Low 10s is doable. I think a 9, without the aid of a tow-hook tied to George or Brian's bumpers, is a pipe dream. (this is my poor attempt at humor )

This is not meant to poop on your parade, but the weight is against you and you are still down on power for what has historically(in most cases) been needed for a 9-sec pass in one of these cars weighing that much.

I could also be WAY off base though. If your power curve is strong (not just peaky) and you've matched the converter/gears/tire then it would be possible to run a solid high 9. This is a slim chance and not a slight to you because that combo would have to be DEAD ON to run the number IMHO.

Good luck and it'd be nice to hear of another 9-sec car in our ranks.

Old 08-20-2002, 04:23 PM

The car has a Moser 9", 4200 Stall Vigilante, and 3.70 gears.

The power curve is very aggressive and comes on early. I would like to think I am a pretty good driver as well, but that remains to be seen.

August 30th Mid Michigan is holding a Test and Tune under the lights from 7pm-Midnight. Good track and cool air, hopefully I can at least see the 10.teen area.

This car still has the TNT Plate system on it, bt I have plans for a direct port next year. Looking at NX but not sure as of yet.

As far as tires go it will be on 28x12.5 ET Streets. I'll report back with details soon.

I agree that it is going to be a chore getting into the 9's at this power level, but I will get there. I can assure you that I won't be tied to anyones car to make it happen either
Old 08-20-2002, 04:53 PM

557rw with a 200 shot? Sounds about 75-100rw low. Mabye I missed something.

I agree with Bobby....you will need significantly more hp to run the mph *capable* of 9s. 9s will come with suspension and driving after that.

Jason
Old 08-20-2002, 05:54 PM

what kind of MPH is typically needed to sneak in the 9s?

Tim

------------------
95 firebird Blueprinted and ballanced 355, ported lt1 heads, custom cam motion solid roller,Moser 9" with 4.57's and a locker just to name a few.
11.23@122.25 1.579 60'

2001 NFRA LT1 NA Winner

More on www.geocities.com/herrint
Old 08-20-2002, 06:02 PM

Cool

Best of luck, Nick... You know us homies will be pullin' for ya!!!

By the way everybody... torque makes the ET's,if you can put down a big ol' wide band and good numbers, who's to say?

Are your converter stall numbers with or without spray? 200 hp of juice makes a HUGE increase in converter torque and stall!

HInk
Old 08-20-2002, 06:22 PM

Those numbers are without Hink.

On this same dyno a local mustang made 575rwhp, and with a 3300lb race weight went 9.50's. Point being I have seen cars run what would appear to be low power numbers on this dyno and turn out monster times at the track. Although 300lbs difference between our two cars is also a huge difference.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:19 PM

Hey seen your car up at APE while visiting mine,looks good. I think Kirk's dyno really reads about 12-13% lower than a Dynojet but you don't run on dynos. But anyway I think your numbers look for like 135 mph. Just launching without the brake may harm alittle, but thats what makes this sport fun.
Good Luck,

Kevin
Old 08-20-2002, 11:33 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 383 Blwn Bird:
Hey seen your car up at APE while visiting mine,looks good. I think Kirk's dyno really reads about 12-13% lower than a Dynojet but you don't run on dynos. But anyway I think your numbers look for like 135 mph. Just launching without the brake may harm alittle, but thats what makes this sport fun.
Good Luck,

Kevin
</font>
Kevin..by your screen name I would say that you are the owner of the red formula there with the blower,is this corect?

Thanks for the compliments about the car, we'll see what she has in her in a week or so. I am a bit under the weather right now, and Kirk is still working out a few things.

------------------
Nick D'Agostino
1997 Silver Camaro SS
ARE Built 396ci LT1
Moser 9" Rear End
HAL 12 Way Shocks
4L60E Race Built Trans
TNT Twister NO2 System

Best Times To Date
NA Time 12.15@111mph
NO2 Time 10.66@128mph

E-Mail For More Info

1995 Emerald Green Formula
Stock For Now
Times to Come

If you live life by the book, all you get is what has already been written.

I am a Proud Supporter of ......Boycott Lapeer Dragway
Old 08-21-2002, 12:17 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 95Bird:
what kind of MPH is typically needed to sneak in the 9s?

Tim

</font>
133mph OCCASIONALLY, 135mph is usually 9.95 area
Old 08-21-2002, 07:09 AM

It's not really good to compare two different cars in this scenario. The lighter mustang with the better suspension is not the comparison for your extremely heavy 4th gen.

Hink, torque will make the 60 ft and the 60 ft will make the run, but if your car has no cojones~ on the big end, its still a sad day. Plus, 580 ft lbs on the spray isn't big torque to push a heavyweight in the 9's and only being able to brake stall isn't gonna help. I'm assuming you'll be trying to spray outta the hole Nick?

As you can see, I keep going back to the weight cause thats whats really hurting. The power to weight ratio is leaning the wrong way on the scale...

------------------
Bobby Simpson II *Bling Bling* Sold Seperately...
32 Valve Dominion Headed 1994 Z28... "White Lightning"
Budget Performance Racing...Layin' the smack down

"My skillz are impeccable..."
Old 08-21-2002, 02:20 PM

Cool

Nick's car will pick up several hundred pounds of torque spraying right on the initial hit from the line. 700+ pounds of torque at stall plus another 800 rpm stall speed could net Nick his goal. PROVIDING he can hook that bear!

As we all know, getting the car moving initially and how hard it starts moving is what makes good ET's! The first 1/8th mile is critical.

Anymore weight you can take out of it, NICK, even temporarily?

HInk
Old 08-21-2002, 02:34 PM

Well beleive it or not it still has the front sway bar on lol

I just never got around to taking it off. When it went 10.6 it weighed almost 3900lbs once the cage and 9" were in.

The suspension still has to be played with too. So we shall see what happens. I'm not going to do anything to put the car or myself in jeapordy, oh wait yes I am

Should be a fun one. If you are by Mid Michigan on the 30th of August stop by. There will be a Pontiac making its debut there

------------------
Nick D'Agostino
1997 Silver Camaro SS
ARE Built 396ci LT1
Moser 9" Rear End
HAL 12 Way Shocks
4L60E Race Built Trans
TNT Twister NO2 System

Best Times To Date
NA Time 12.15@111mph
NO2 Time 10.66@128mph

E-Mail For More Info