LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

3 issues fixed, new one pops up

Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM

3 issues fixed, new one pops up

I just put a new opti in my car. It was dying after very short amounts of time and wouldn't restart for an entire day. It took about 8 seconds of cranking to start, and had a backfire louder than a nuclear warhead. It ran great when running however.
Now all 3 of those issues are gone. No dying, It starts up instantly without extended cranking, and doesn't backfire.
It runs like it has a bad miss or something. Its extremely low on power and sluggish. Wont even spin bald tires in 2nd. it is very hot on 1 day old asphalt however but still. I'm just looking to get opinions for this issue so I can fix it.
I'm guessing something electrical, maybe I hooked up plug wrong or crossed the spark plug wires when I put it back together. maybe one is burned.

Whats this seem like guys. It has a high idle that calms down after a minute, did that before new opti. It has a brand new ICM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Re: 3 issues fixed, new one pops up

At any point did you scan it for codes?

Are you sure you indexed the Opti splined driveshaft correctly into the cam sprocket? In theory it only goes together one way. But in fact it will go together incorrectly. Or maybe you crossed a couple plug wires.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg

Your other post indicated some mystery connections. If the one in photo 3 is in fact for the coolant temp sensor in the water pump, should set a code, and can make the engine run excessively rich.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:36 AM

My opti is the vented pin driven style thankfully. I matched it the little indentation to where it needed to go amd watched closely to make sure it didnt twist. That was my biggest worry.
I may have forgotten the coolant temp sensor however as you said. I will check
Old 08-25-2017, 07:50 PM

It was the coolant temp. sensor that I stupidly left unplugged. car is back to perfection.
Thank you guys for all the help however.

Search this Thread