LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

24x conversion actual cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 PM

24x conversion actual cost

I知 looking at the 24x conversion and I have some questions. What is the actual cost of the setup. I see so many different options and combos for it. I知 just looking to convert do easy of tunning. Does it come with a different ecm? Does it eliminate the Opti? Coil on plug setup ? Anyone here have any feedback on the 24x? Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Re: 24x conversion actual cost

Deletes the Opti completely.

Uses a specific LS1 PCM, and has an available adapter harness for the LT1 chassis. You need to pick up a PCM, and you can make your own harness or buy it.

Uses 8 LS1-style coils, coil-near-plug, not on-plug. You buy the coils, new or used, you can make the brackets to mount them, or buy them.

There are two different sources for the 24X conversion:

EFI Connection:

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...efi-24x-lt1lt4

Torqhead (tends to be mote complete, a bit more plug-and-play, hence more expensive).

HOW IT WORKS - TORQHEAD LTD

The EFI connection application chart, and the option drop downs on the left side of the page show the options (single or double timing chain, stock timing cover or billet, electric or mechanical water pump, crank snout and crank hub diameter).

Let's see if anyone respond here with the cost info, and answers your questions. If not, I can provide a link to another site where I know there are members using 24X. Yoiu can sometimes find used systems and components on this site's marketplace forums.

Are you aware of the Bailey Engineering LTCC system - uses only the optical cam position sensor in the Opti, and drives 8 LS1-style coils. My personal experience indicates that simply getting the high voltage function out of the body of the Opti minimizes problems. Although my experience is based on using an original factory 95-97 optical sensor, and getting a reliable sensor seems to be the most difficult part of the current market.

Bailey LTCC setup
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 PM

If I'm reading the info from toque head right,this system completely eliminates the original ECM?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Both 24X systems totally delete the LT1 PowertrainCM (only 93 has an EngineCM), and replace it with an LS1 PCM. One advantage of the LS1 PCM is that tuning software, and tuners who are willing to tune using the LS1 are much more numerous than LT1 software/tuners.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 PM

It is starting to sound more affordable than a Delphi opti.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Not really. Unless you find a great deal on a used LS1 PCM, coil brackets, make your own harness, plug wires, etc. I'd guess you are looking at $1,000+.

Problem is that I don’t think Delphi makes them any more, and the AC Delco rebuilds ~$450 + core) seem to be out of stock most places. The MSD (~$525) seems to be plagued with a new set of problems with each production run. The Dynaspark was legendary for a few years, then the company was sold and quality disappeared. One option that might be worth exploring is the Petris unit. Seems to be popular it’s the Corvette crowd.

Ventilated Optispark Distributor | Petris Enterprises
Old 02-21-2018, 01:58 PM

I bought the essential kit off Torqhead and couldn't be happier. I had the LTCC setup before so didn't need coils and spark plugs. Ended up costing me $1176 with shipping. Torqhead customer service is excellent and they are very responsive with any questions during install. You can go on the site and price it out or you can message them and they will tell you exactly what you need based on what you want/already have.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM

So the kit uses a stock ls1 pcm and that plugs into a stock lt1 ecu harness?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Administrator

No. It uses a stock LS1 PCM that has to be connected to the LT1 engine and the body connectors specific to your year chassis, using a custom conversion harness. Remember, the harness, for example has to address the difference in the firing order between an LT1 and an LS1 engine.

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...camarofirebird
Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM

Excellent answers!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:45 PM

Where is the other site that other people are discussing the 24X setup?

Thanks!

-B

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Deletes the Opti completely.

Uses a specific LS1 PCM, and has an available adapter harness for the LT1 chassis. You need to pick up a PCM, and you can make your own harness or buy it.

Uses 8 LS1-style coils, coil-near-plug, not on-plug. You buy the coils, new or used, you can make the brackets to mount them, or buy them.

There are two different sources for the 24X conversion:

EFI Connection:

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...efi-24x-lt1lt4

Torqhead (tends to be mote complete, a bit more plug-and-play, hence more expensive).

HOW IT WORKS - TORQHEAD LTD

The EFI connection application chart, and the option drop downs on the left side of the page show the options (single or double timing chain, stock timing cover or billet, electric or mechanical water pump, crank snout and crank hub diameter).

Let's see if anyone respond here with the cost info, and answers your questions. If not, I can provide a link to another site where I know there are members using 24X. Yoiu can sometimes find used systems and components on this site's marketplace forums.

Are you aware of the Bailey Engineering LTCC system - uses only the optical cam position sensor in the Opti, and drives 8 LS1-style coils. My personal experience indicates that simply getting the high voltage function out of the body of the Opti minimizes problems. Although my experience is based on using an original factory 95-97 optical sensor, and getting a reliable sensor seems to be the most difficult part of the current market.

Bailey LTCC setup
Old 06-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Administrator

“....using 24X.”

Ltxtech.com
Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 PM
LT5

Ive been using a Cardone opti now about 90 dollars from summit made brand new by them and its held up for months now with no misfires, or mis starts. Its been 3 months so far so good, best 100 dollar or less opti ive ever seen, very high quality part and looks good (black).