LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Z28 / Z28 SS - Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:55 AM

Question Z28 / Z28 SS - Difference?

Hi all. It's been a LONG time since I've been here. But, I like to stop by every now and then just to see how the place is doing.. Today, I've got a question. A good friend of mine is thinking about abandoning his Mustang hobby and is wondering what the difference is between the Z28 and the SS..

He's been thinking about an '03 Cobra so I want to give him all the details I can. The more descriptive I can be, the better chance there is of him converting.

Anyways.. Thanks in advance.. I'm sure whatever response I get here will be the best response I can expect anywhere...
Old 03-17-2003, 10:45 AM

Thank you. I know there's 15 more horse. Right? Bigger wheels.. Is the suspension much better? Can an SS be had with an automatic? If so, are the 0-60 and 1/4 miles numbers much worse? If so, any inexpensive remedies to that?

Thank you...
Old 03-17-2003, 11:56 AM

the spolier, hood, wheels, ram air, ss floor mats ect. basically what i heard is that the ss is basically a $3000 apperence package.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:59 AM

Thank you. So far it's sounding that way. I thought there was a better suspension for the SS.. 15 horsepower isn't that much - but how did they get it? I'm guessing things that can be done easily to the Z28...
Old 03-17-2003, 12:25 PM
DropZ

There are bigger swaybars and stiffer suspension available on the SS, depends on the options when ordered I guess? The horsepower increase is due to the exhaust and Ram Air (according to Chevy) but most people find the SS Ram Air to be inefficient compared to a FIPK or even a lid + K&N. The SS looks badass IMHO, but the stock 98+ Z28 hood looks a little plain for my taste.

My opinion:

Buy an SS if it's priced reasonably, but you'll likely find a Z28 much cheaper that will perform nearly as well, and you can use the money you saved to buy some nice performance parts for the Z.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:56 PM

Worst-case scenario, you could fit an SS hood and spoiler onto a Z28. Right? Or no?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:57 PM

Just thought I would let you know the SS does not have 15 hp on the Z28. This merely GMs marketing ploy to get people to spend the $3500 on the SS. In reality the difference from motor to motor is much more significant, and I have seen Z28s dyno with more power than SS, really it matters on the motor. The SS is a bad a$$ looking car, the Z28 is rather plain looking w/o the hood, but that doesnt mean the Z28 cant hold its own in a race b/c it doesnt have a hood scoop.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:08 PM

The guy I'm trying to pull over into ChevyWorld really likes the looks of the SS but has a good deal on a Z28.. So.. I'm basically telling him the cars are so close it doesn't make any difference - and IF he wants, he could always make the Z28 look just like the SS.. He agrees with the boring look without the hood and smaller spoiler...
Old 03-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Banned

this topic comes up at least once a week.....do a search

spoiler
hood
rims
catback
floormats
build number
emblems
different suspension options
Old 03-17-2003, 06:12 PM

Wink Z28 owner

I've got your solution. I own a 1993 Z28 and it's great. I really do want the SS style hood and a few other SS modifications, but if your friend doesnt want to look mainstream, he could buy a Z28 and look for other types of hood styles like cowl, big block, super z, or ss. The SS does have a slightly better suspension than a Z28. Don't listen to that mess about Z28's dyno more powerful than an SS. It just doesnt happen if they are both stock. The SS has the exact same LS1 as the Z28 (assuming its newer than 97 otherwise its an LT1) The hood forces air on a shorter path to the engine, making the extra 15hp. It's not a rumor, or a GM ploy, it's fact. Why else would you buy a forced induction? Look at anyone's modified Camaro and you'll find some sort of aftermarket hood. If you want to see the "fastest LS1 in the world" go to LS1Motorsports.com and look for the link on the main page. 9.94 seconds if I'm not mistaken. Make sure your friend knows that Mustang GT's come with 260hp and Z's start at 305 I believe. In my personal opinion I would keep this Z over a 2003 Mustang Cobra even if someone handed me the Cobra for free. I love this car to death and you couldn't pry it from my dead body. If you have any other questions e-mail me. I've done quite a bit of research on both. check out the car @ http://members.sounddomain.com/ryanas By the way, I'm adding a West Wings F1 kit and SS hood this summer. Can't wait. Check it out.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:50 PM

Re: Z28 owner

Originally posted by RyanS_Z28
I've got your solution. I own a 1993 Z28 and it's great. I really do want the SS style hood and a few other SS modifications, but if your friend doesnt want to look mainstream, he could buy a Z28 and look for other types of hood styles like cowl, big block, super z, or ss. The SS does have a slightly better suspension than a Z28. Don't listen to that mess about Z28's dyno more powerful than an SS. It just doesnt happen if they are both stock. The SS has the exact same LS1 as the Z28 (assuming its newer than 97 otherwise its an LT1) The hood forces air on a shorter path to the engine, making the extra 15hp. It's not a rumor, or a GM ploy, it's fact. Why else would you buy a forced induction? Look at anyone's modified Camaro and you'll find some sort of aftermarket hood. If you want to see the "fastest LS1 in the world" go to LS1Motorsports.com and look for the link on the main page. 9.94 seconds if I'm not mistaken. Make sure your friend knows that Mustang GT's come with 260hp and Z's start at 305 I believe. In my personal opinion I would keep this Z over a 2003 Mustang Cobra even if someone handed me the Cobra for free. I love this car to death and you couldn't pry it from my dead body. If you have any other questions e-mail me. I've done quite a bit of research on both. check out the car @ http://members.sounddomain.com/ryanas By the way, I'm adding a West Wings F1 kit and SS hood this summer. Can't wait. Check it out.
Yes b/c SS ram air is so effective. Not every motor that rolls off the assembly line is the same so b/c of hp variances between motors yes it is very likely that a Z can dyno higher than an SS. BTW its also the same motor LS1 that comes in the Corvettes so why do those have 350 hp. Once again marketing ploy for the flagship car. However the fact is that theyre actually right about the Vette. The motor creates about 350 in a Vette, SS, or Z, obviously with slight variations. The SS is actually underrated and the Z is even more underated.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Banned

SS ram air blows the big one...no questions asked....
Old 03-17-2003, 07:49 PM

The corvette uses an LS6 not an LS1. LS1 is a corvette "derived" engine. They are both 5.7L engines but you would have to consult a GM maker for the exact differences. "Every Z28 engine is different" is not true. Mine is the same size, shape, as yours. The differences would be in transmissions, oil used, air filter used, mods, and of course weather. The weather is not exactly optimal for a dyno if you live in death valley, california. The SS hood creates extra horsepower or you wouldnt see thousands of Camaro owners putting it on their cars. If it just didnt work at all and was a complete scam why have so many people who know cars bought into this secret GM ploy to make you spend a few grand more on a hood and spoiler? The facts are on the table. My guess on the fact the engines are both 5.7 liter V8's is either the quality of parts installed, the corvette engine is most likely not a 350ci, or design of the intake. It's common knowledge the Corvette has an LS6. Where have you been?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Banned

lots of the people with ss hoods get an aftermarket ram air anyway....cuz SS RAM AIR IS WORTHLESS...have u ever seen one???...worthless!!!!u have like 2 posts....how bout u go look around and check to see what ppl have before u start talking bout something you dont know much about

just my 2 cents
Old 03-17-2003, 08:17 PM

your right stick, i guess because i only have a few posts means ive never researched mods before. I'm truly stupid. I wish i had so much CamaroZ28.com experience as you. If your SS hood was so useless why did you buy it again? I guess maybe you should just not buy a sports car ever again if you dont buy it somewhat for appearance. Go buy a Civic and put some pretty stickers of unicorns on steroids on it. That adds at least 300hp so im told. While your at it, call GM and Ford, and every other producer of sports cars that their falsehood on the ram air was mean. Tell them how useless it is and how their research failed them. But be sure to tell them how good of a ploy it was. Sure had you fooled i guess. Had you goin for a bit if you know what i mean. *wink wink*

Quick Reply: Z28 / Z28 SS - Difference?