LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Z28 / Z28 SS - Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

i never said anything bout appearance.....i love the way the ss hood looks otherwise i wouldnt have it....but u cant argue with the fact it sucks...only good fbod ram air is on the transam...

u obvioulsy have never looked at ss ram air or youd know what im talking bout....
who said anything bout other car's ram air...im talking bout ss ram air PERIOD.....

some people
Old 03-17-2003, 08:31 PM

how is a WS6 ram air any more effecient than an SS hood? If what you say is true why dont i see a lot more WS6's on the road? Maybe its just Texas, but I dont see hardly any Firebirds. Pontiac is a bad son of GM. Chevrolet definently went behind GM's back and created a nonefficient ram air system. Why would they do this? Why why why??
Old 03-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

ok.......
sit down and grab some pretzels and welcome to session 9

ss ram air blows....

the ram air starts with the hood scoop and splits into 2 and then wraps aroundthe whole hood ending at the intake....so u see that it has a lot of travel and theres no way to push that air around the bends efficiently

ws6 ram air goes straight in....

look under a ss hood sometime u will totally under stand why....

any help???
got u convinced???

little bit???

didnt mean to sound like a jacka$$.....
Old 03-17-2003, 08:42 PM

ive heard of this problem with the ram airs on ss splitting but if you buy an aftermarket ram air box lid it eliminates the extra run in. yes if you have a stock SS you might have problems but adding a $85 box gains 10hp at the wheels and you dont have the problems. SLP provides an assembly like that on your sponsored website. Maybe you should check it out.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:48 PM
Banned

thts what im saying stock ss ram air sucks...when u put something else on it of course it will make it better....but whisper ram air with a lid is really good in my opinion...
Old 03-18-2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by RyanS_Z28
ive heard of this problem with the ram airs on ss splitting but if you buy an aftermarket ram air box lid it eliminates the extra run in. yes if you have a stock SS you might have problems but adding a $85 box gains 10hp at the wheels and you dont have the problems. SLP provides an assembly like that on your sponsored website. Maybe you should check it out.
Sorry dude but you really don't know what you're talking about.
The air enters the SS hood near the middle of the motor then splits in two then each half travels a complete 360° to end up entering the air box at the very front of the car. The SS scoop is only good for supplying cold air. There is NO ram effect.
The WS6 scoops are on the very leading edge of the hood and the air goes straight into the air box. There is some ram effect but not much because it's not a sealed unit.
As to why we buy SSes when we know these facts? It's because we love the look and I personally love the way ours handles. Could you buy a Z then add shocks, swaybar, springs, tires, wheels, catback, spoiler, and hood? Sure. Would the end results be about the same? Sure, but then you wouldn't have a real Super Sport.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:30 AM

I don't mean to be an old bag of sloppy nuts but doesn't the Corvette still use the LS1 and the Corvette Z06 use the LS6?

Anyways.. I've heard enough to believe that Ram Air doesn't do as much as we're all led to believe. If I'm not mistaken, the difference at around 60mph is nominal. Yes, every little bit helps - but can you really get 10 horsepower to the wheels with ram air?

Maybe so... Maybe not. This is a debate that could go on forever and ever. It's not worth bothering, really.

I just wanted to know the main differences between each car. Apparently, the Z28 and SS doesn't handle very well no matter which way you look at it. If it handles like the Iroc's and TA's of the previous generation, they'll have trouble keeping up with Northstar Cadillacs on twisty roads.

On the other hand, my '87 Vette feels like rumbling Hell when you drive over an ant or worm crossing the road. It handles amazingly, but I don't know if it's worth banging my head on the removable top each time I pass over one of these worms. Thank God for seatbelts...
Old 03-18-2003, 12:38 PM

wish I had an '02 SS w/m6 and all slp options

but i'm lucky to have found a z28 for little money
Old 03-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Banned

corvettsuse ls1...and z06 uses ls6...thats right

i dont know why some ppl think tha all corvettes have ls6...i guess they are just misinformed....
Old 03-18-2003, 01:07 PM

alright guys...go bitch to GM if you dont like the fact the Corvette engine puts out more than your Camaro. I frankly dont give a **** what you think. My car is rated #3 overall on this site and if you dont like that either then take it up the ***. Dont buy a sports car ever again if your going to cry about it. Thats all I have to say.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:10 PM

Wow! That last post made me think of a new Steven Segal movie title!

Explosion!
Of!
Fury!

Yeah! Baby! I'm gonna send it in! hehe
Old 03-18-2003, 01:36 PM

I just dont think its right to bash someone else for their opinion. No one is an "all knowing" Camaro enthusiast and we all have opinions. If they dont think the hood creates 10hp then thats their own thing, they can stick with a stock hood.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:44 PM

I hear ya! We could all use a course in anger management. Right, Tony? There are a few important things we don't learn in school..

Otherwise. We're all Camaro enthusiasts here. So we're technically all on the same side. When all is said and done, we may have different opinions - but we all have at least one thing in common..
Old 03-18-2003, 04:11 PM

Besides appearance it has many standard features plus bigger sway bars, tighter suspension, and different exhaust. It is very easy to make a Z28 as fast as a SS if it isn't already. But the claimed 15hp isn't why people get an SS, unless they are an id!ot. If I had a good deal on a Z28 I would take it over the SS any day. Its all the same LS1.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 PM

ok im about to own this thread.

Sal Callaziano.

ss - z28 = all really the same
the ss has a better suspension than the z28 (helps in road racing, no so much help at the track though); it has a hood with "ram air" (yes this "ram air" does suck, but it adds a little maybe 1 or 2hp due to more cold air going in. its not really ram air. ), spoiler, 17" inch rims, exhaust, and some more accesories.

the z28 has none of what was mentioned above. Yet that does not mean it is inferior. they both have the ls1 (which is an incredibly awesome engine) in my personal opion i like the ss better than the z. NOT BECAUSE OF POWER, but because of looks.

if your friend wants a car for road racing then the ss with SLIGHTLY out perform the z28 (with a control i mean).....(for those that are slightly slow. a control, in an experiment, is the factor that is the same......ex. both ls1's in the experiment producing the same power, z28 engine and ss engine........leaving the additional performance the hood and suspension aspects)

Now if your friends wants a car for the strip then the ss's suspension upgrades wont matter, because the z28's have good ones too.......and the ss suspension upgrade is for handling..........not going in a straight line (like a drag stip)

As for what your friend needs to get--It all depends on what he's going to do with the car..............if he is going to turn it into a bad a** fast machine....then the z28 will be the best (because its the cheapest, and if he really turns it into a fast *** machine then he will change suspension, induction, exhaust......which if he bought an ss he would do too, because its stuff isnt what you want when building an all out dragster)......so basically when you change the exhaust, suspension, better flowing hood (if you want to change that)..........you just replaced what you just payed for....................so what was the point in buying the ss??????

now to the post about z28 power being as much as the ss power......................WRONG the ss does have slightly more, but yes there are a few freak ls1 engines that produce more power than the other ones...........so yes you can see a z28 dyno with more power than an ss. they both have ls1 engines but no engine is identical.

i would tell your friend to buy a z28, because im thinking he likes power and is going to heavily modify the car.

and im not just biast about the z28, i would take an ss over the z28. I am actually looking into this as we speak.

and again.......to your question about will the hood fit if you wanted to buy one and put it on there???......yes and so would the spoiler.

Im sure i have forgotten to add a couple things (as my post is very long and i dont feel like rereading it and making sure i havnt, so im just saying i might have)

but if you want to know everything (the difference in power between the different years...........i.e.-- 1998-2000, 2001 and 2002.......there were just small changes in the engine to make these differences) CAL then you can call me at 601-924-3835.

but it all comes down to preference

Thanks..............Scott

Quick Reply: Z28 / Z28 SS - Difference?