LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM

wiring issues

okay, most everyone knows what all i've done to my car so far... tranny, rear end, cam, tune, headers etc. Now i have a completely different issue that even Ed can't seem to pinpoint. After the cam swap, i developed either a current or a ground issue that literally is making the car lose about 100 horses AFTER the cam swap. As to when it actually started, i don't exactly remember if it was immediately after the cam swap, or shortly thereafter. The issue now is sometimes it runs like a bat outta hell, and sometimes it runs like a freakin geo metro. I've checked, rechecked, and checked again all loose ends, grounds, and anything else i can think of that might be a loose connection and still no change. It won't idle worth a darn and it has a huge loss of power. I'm not thinking its a chassis ground, because if it were that, i'd lose all electric power from time to time. All other systems are good, with no interruptions, so i'm leaning more towards the pcm or connected wiring as the culprit. If anyone has any ideas, or has had a similar issue with this problem, please let me know. I've pretty much exhausted all my leads short of pulling every damn wire out and start replacing them one by one.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Re: wiring issues

You should invest in a scanner. I know if your MAF goes out, it can cause a huge power loss as the PCM will revert to the low octane spark map and back up VE table. Unless you start logging the vehicle, all you'll be able to do is throw parts at it until you stumble across the problem. Check into picking up a copy of EFI Live or HPTuners. Well worth the investment if you ask me. Then, you don't have to keep sending your PCM off to Ed to have him do it.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:57 PM

Re: wiring issues

Make absolutely sure that the 3 ground wires on the back of the heads are hooled up. One of these grounds will make the car act like you describe.