LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Why won't my car go straight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 03:50 PM

Why won't my car go straight?

Here's my qproblem,.When i'm driving in the rain and step on it,my car wants to go sideways because one of my wheels spins faster then the other,that's common on most cars from what i've experianced.My old 240sx used to do the same thing.An aftermarket LSD helped there though.Anyway my car is a 2000 mustang gt now.

Here's the deal though.My friend owns a 2000 z28,and when he steps on it in the rain,it's like an f1 car,the tires both spin out at the same time,and the car goes straight.I've asked at a mustang board,but one of the guys said it's because camaros come stock with a panhard bar,and it helps the axle stai fixed,instead of moving sideways.Is that the problem or is it just fixable with lsd.Any help would be apreciated.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:07 PM

Don't step on it while it's raining then. The Z has posi, so he can do it.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:09 PM

heres your problem, you have a mustang. buy a camaro you will drive straight in the rain...
Old 07-01-2003, 04:12 PM

A Camaro will still step out to the side, and usually to the right.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by SSCamaro99_3
A Camaro will still step out to the side, and usually to the right.
No,i was right there,he even changed lanes while doing it,the car went straight.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by vz125dude
heres your problem, you have a mustang. buy a camaro you will drive straight in the rain...
Yeah i figured i'd have a few kids jump in on this thread with remarks like that.Doesn't help me at all.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Schismblade
Don't step on it while it's raining then. The Z has posi, so he can do it.
What is posi,i know i've heard about it,but i can't remember how it works.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:26 PM

Posi distibutes the power to both rear wheels.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:28 PM

I have the Auburn rear end in mine, and trust me, with crowned roads it will still step out. On a perfectly flat surface it may not, but in the real world it will and most predominatly to the right. This is due to the fact that GM rears put power to the ground through the right tire, and your posi will not engage until that tire begins to spin, which will torque the car to the right.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:37 PM

I've done that 2x! First time it was damp, just damp, and spun out to right. I was stoped and just floored it. Then the second time it was really scarry. I was making a right on to a main throughfare and it was damp again, and spun right again and almost went into the head on traffic but i corrected it. However as the engine has gotten more miles on it the problem did not occur again. Instead it feels like the car lifts up then the wheels engage and bam! it takes off! I love my car! But yeah it has spun out before like that also.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:49 PM

Most of these cars make 300+ rwhp or damn close. They are not to be underestimated in any condition, much less in the rain.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:28 PM

So all i would have to do is get posi right?Eaton makes a POSI differential for my car,i'll probably drop that in.Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:46 PM

I have driven 7 different rear wheel dirve cars in my years of driving. Weather it has posi or not it seems to step out to the side if you get on it hard in the rain, which is a main reason I try to not dirve the formula in the rain. THe posi will help you get more power to the ground but don't think it will give you the ability to drive like a moron in the rain. Of course, you do drive a mustang so I wouldn't even worry to much about it, there isn't all that much power being made to get to the ground or to get you into to much trouble. Just kidding.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Jaegermeister2k
So all i would have to do is get posi right?Eaton makes a POSI differential for my car,i'll probably drop that in.Thanks a bunch guys.
That a waste of money if you just want to drive like a moron in the rain. I always take it easy when the roads are slick, not try and wreck my car. As everyone else said, it probably won't do anything anyways.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:18 AM

They are technically NOT posi.....they are limited slip, which isn't posi. True posi-traction is found in some older vehicles and real drag cars. You can see the evidence of true posi in the way that when the funny cars on TV make sharp turns at the end of their runs you can see the vehicle rocks back and forth because the wheels WILL NOT turn at different rates except under the most extreme conditions....this is why they tend to stay straight at the tremendous speeds they go. Limited slip has the TENDENCY to keep the wheels turning at the same rate...this is done with either the Auburn or Eaton diffs in the Fbods. And when in rainy conditions, if you're flooring the car and it tends to "yaw" to the right that's not because the power goes to the right wheel first or moreso........it's the physics of the rotational force being applied in a certain direction. If the engine and tranny were built to rotate in the oposite direction, the car would yaw to the left. Again, you can see evidence of this in funny cars when they launch and have good traction the whole front end of the car will lift off the ground slightly and you can actually see the frame twisting at the front half of the car...this is the same force at work on an exaggerated scale. It's also why left turns are more "fun" than right turns.

Quick Reply: Why won't my car go straight?