LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 07:52 AM

what would you do?

i am about to drop in an LS1 into my V6 and i would have like to to have done some heads/cam work at the same time. unfortunately i cant afford all that right now.
i would love to throw in a cam but i dont want to worry about other things-springs, lifters, tuning and what not.
i already have an airlid and FTRA and a stock Z exhaust.
should i just get another exhaust sytem for the LS1 or is there a cam out there that could go by itself and still be noticable?
or what would you do if you had a somewhat fresh LS1? i already have 3.73s, LCAs, SFCs, adj panhard bar. maybe a new clutch is in order?

Last edited by 1fastV6; 05-09-2003 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Banned

i would wait to have the money and do it all at once....

get a clutch
spec stage 3 ceramic
and maybe some nitrous nx
Old 05-09-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
i would wait to have the money and do it all at once....

get a clutch
spec stage 3 ceramic
and maybe some nitrous nx
The labor is something you're not going to want to do twice, also headwork is not all that necessary for a cam, you could do a hotcam kit (comes with springs and retainers) and see quite a bit of improvement with no headwork at all.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:12 AM

I used to be an owner of a 94 V6 Camaro and always wanted an LS1. Once I realized that a motor swap was 1) costly and 2) could be used to put towards a newer LS1 car, I decided to be patient, save my money and buy what I wanted. I am now a proud owner of a 2001 Black M6 TA. I guess this all depends on if you want a sleeper that also has a ton of custom fabrication raising the issue of reliability or wait and step up to the big dog without all the risks of custom work. Your call, my 2 cents.............
Old 05-09-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by mc2001ta
I used to be an owner of a 94 V6 Camaro and always wanted an LS1. Once I realized that a motor swap was 1) costly and 2) could be used to put towards a newer LS1 car, I decided to be patient, save my money and buy what I wanted. I am now a proud owner of a 2001 Black M6 TA. I guess this all depends on if you want a sleeper that also has a ton of custom fabrication raising the issue of reliability or wait and step up to the big dog without all the risks of custom work. Your call, my 2 cents.............
right now i own a $32,000 V6 camaro (cost of car/mods/and major repair/installs). you are right, i could be patient and by myself a Z, my wife has been telling me to do that since the beginning. actually she has been telling me to get an SS. she thought it was useless to mod a 6. tell that to the Z and trans am i beat at the track. its not that i cant afford a Z, SS, or even a vette, to be honest, it seems to me that i just like wasting money- as my wife says. besides there isnt any major modifications that need to be done for the swap. there is a little work that needs to be done for me switching from A4 to M6 but nothing to deter my decision.
the way i see it, it is just as cost effective for me to do the swap. $4,200 for the engine/tranny/and all the goodies and about $2,000 for labor-if even that high, that is only 6 Gs. now you tell me where i can get a 2000 LS1 for 6 grand.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:07 AM

sounds like you got it all pretty well planned out, should turn out nice then. If money is not an object than building a sleeper can be a lot of fun! Finding a LS1 for 6 grand, hmmmmmmmmmm....how bout use that 6 grand for a down payment then finance the rest b/c you probably spend 2-$300 a month on stuff for your car anyways
Old 05-09-2003, 12:44 PM

I'd still believe that you should just sell/part out the V6 and get a LS1 f-bod.. If you plan on selling your project in the future, you'll have a real hard time cause the engine type won't match your VIN, and getting it thru emissions would be a potential paperwork headache.

anyways..

Don't forget the suspension springs. shocks, and brakes too.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Ken S
I'd still believe that you should just sell/part out the V6 and get a LS1 f-bod.. If you plan on selling your project in the future, you'll have a real hard time cause the engine type won't match your VIN,

Don't forget the suspension springs. shocks, and brakes too.
i just sold the heads/intakes, maft+, and headers to a friend in my car club for $800. if i remember correctly all that cost me $3,500.
suspension is already taken care of .
and i really dont see me selling the car in the future, if anything i will give the car to my brother before i sell it.

i really want a cam with maybe a slp loudmouth. anybody have any cam suggestions? i looked at the hotcam- after digging my way out of hotcam ****. you have to remember i am very new to the LS1. but if you are a V6 owner you might have been impressed with my once was car.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by 1fastV6
i just sold the heads/intakes, maft+, and headers to a friend in my car club for $800. if i remember correctly all that cost me $3,500.
suspension is already taken care of .
and i really dont see me selling the car in the future, if anything i will give the car to my brother before i sell it.

i really want a cam with maybe a slp loudmouth. anybody have any cam suggestions? i looked at the hotcam- after digging my way out of hotcam ****. you have to remember i am very new to the LS1. but if you are a V6 owner you might have been impressed with my once was car.
If you want to go ***** out pickup a hammer cam from MTI