LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 PM

What Headers?

I'm getting headers for x-mas and was wondering what you guys would recommend. I heard alot about flp. Does anyone know if they have a web site? Thanks for any input?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:14 AM

Re: What Headers?

FLP website - http://www.flp2win.com/

As for LT headers, how much are you willing to spend?

Cheap but effective headers are JetHot, Pacesetters, Hookers ...etc

Then there are stainless headers (something I'd recommend) like
QTP, stainless works, kooks, Supermaxx...etc

The FLP LT headers are probably one of the most expensive headers out there.

There are many headers out there for LS1 F-Body, so basically it comes down to how much do you want to spend, what type of coating you want.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:03 AM

FLPs will cost and arm and a leg, if price isnt an option then go for it...If not theres plently of reasonably priced long tubes out for the LS1...they all perform similar.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:02 PM

I have Jet Hot LTs on my 99 SS camaro, My borother has Jethot LTs on his 96 WS6, and my friend has them on his 00 Z28. WE all love them and had no problems putting them on, I have had mine for I know for a year and they still look great, and of course they are coated. I paid about $525 for mine.

A couple of my friends have pace headers which are nice but they would agree the Jet Hots are NICER. Those are the only headers I have experience with.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:15 PM

Thanks alot for all the input. I'll look into the jethots too. There is so many to choose from, I didn't know which was better then the other.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:10 PM

I have a 00 Z28 and I installed SLP Long tubes with true dual exhaust. I really liek the sound of it and it really gives some power. I ran 12.6 at 111 mph with no stall automatic on nittos - 1000 rpm launch. Bone stock motor - only ls6 intake,mass air etc, No internals at all. All with 4.10 gear. 111mph for 4.10 auto with no stall ...thats pretty good I think.

I am really happy with those.. i would recommend them. But its ur call
Take care
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 PM

What do you want from the headers? Ground clearance and easy install? MACs. Low budget with good power gains? Pacesetters. Ultimate HP and who cares about the price? Kooks or QTPs. I had MACs and they were great (just don't use their cats) and currently have coated Hookers, which have also been excellent. Figure out your goals and budget and that will narrow things down.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:23 PM

As long as u stay in the LT's area, most of em perform very similar. Like i say everytime i see header threads, i believe FLP's are the best performing headers for Fbody's. They're good quality. I'm happy with my FLP's. They're nice because the system comes with a pair of offroad pipes and a pair of cats........u can change em on and off in like 10 minutes. If u think about what ur getting its worth it, if they sold it as just headers with either a ORY or Catted Y or even without a Ypipe at all, they would be about the same cost as some of the other companies.

As for the SLP's, they perform well and are good quality but they have one major flaw........bad ground clearance, if u plan to lower u definitely don't want those, they'll even tell u.

If i had to do it again, i'd either go with FLP's again just cuz of the way their system is or i would pick Kooks or QTP or supermaxx. They have the best quality but it costs money.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:01 AM

If you don't need cats, there's no point in forking over $1200 for the FLP's. I went with QTP's and I don't regret a single thing. Install was CAKE, the sound was great, and the performance is amazing. One thing I tell everyone I know... you get what you paid for.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by RS Dragster
If you don't need cats, there's no point in forking over $1200 for the FLP's. I went with QTP's and I don't regret a single thing. Install was CAKE, the sound was great, and the performance is amazing. One thing I tell everyone I know... you get what you paid for.
Yep I went with Dynatech race headers. Very high quality and performance.
Get what you pay for.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:26 AM

I got a set of coated pacesetter Coated headers for half the price of some others and the quality was GREAT . I love them . they look awsome and and perform awsome as well . Fit right on with no problems at all . Good luck , enjoy . If there is a cost concern at all you cant lose with these . Why pay more for something that isnt really any better ? SLP aint worth the name . My friend has a set of SLP's and they look no better then mine and perform no better . Mine actually fit better then his did and he paid over 800 for them . I payed 300 shipped for mine .
Old 12-21-2004, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by RS Dragster
Does michigan require cats or do they have emissions testing?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:32 AM

kooks or QTP have the best design(groty design based), great proven power gains, great looks, stainless steel, I ordered kooks and they should be in sometime this week or next
Old 12-22-2004, 06:55 AM

I have the SLP headers... and so far they're really great. They're made of stainless steel *and* have a coating applied to them, something I haven't seen on any other header so far. They also come with a matching Y-pipe, where some others don't. The only thing that sucks about SLP LT's is the clearance issues. If you go to my cardomain page you'll see what I'm talking about. But I live in a flat area, so it really isn't much of a problem for me.

But... if I had to do it all over again, I'd of got the new Hooker stainless steel LT's, and had a ceramic coating applied to them. They would cost more then the SLP's, but you wouldn't have the same clearance issues.

But overall, I'm happy with my SLP LT's... they perform great, and they sound mean as hell.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:23 PM

I really dont know why ppl are complaining about SLPs ground clearance. I mean.. if u want to lower ur car yea they are way too low... i never lowered my car...i drive all over the place in the spring/summer and dont have one scrape on them ! But other thing is ..maybe this is the reason why.. would there be a difference in SLP headers if u look at the year of the car ? Because when u want to order them .. for example LS1 Long tubes SLPs - same kind for same motor LS1 yet u have 3 different choices as far as eyar of the car.. 98 and 99 SLP will fit both 98 and 99 LS1... than 00 year will fit only 00 LS1.. and than 01 - 02 will fit both 01 - 02. So same kind of header yet in three diffferent choices depending on the year of the car... whats the difference ? its a same car..same motor.. same kind of headers..why 98 wont fit 00 but it will fit 99 ? I always wanted to know that ... anybody knows what the difference is between those years of ls1..as far as ... headers ?

Quick Reply: What Headers?