LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:09 PM

Cool What to do ?

Today i looked at a 2001 z28 with 13,000 miles. Before goin i did a carfax everything was good. So today i bought it but wont have it for another 2 weeks because the guy needs it for another 10 days. It has a magnaflow exhaust, ftra (i was planning on a ssra but i guess i can live with ftra), slp lid with the k&n filter, a strut tower brace and 18 inch eagle rims. I have A borla setup from the axle to the tailpipes. Is it worth changing to borla ? I will probably do long tubes, any suggestions ?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:05 PM

Cool

True duals.

That's my next mod.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:13 PM

itd either be keep magnaflow on and sell borla or put borla on and sell magnaflow. Any suggestions meaning brand of long tubes .

Last edited by camaro-chris-ss; 05-08-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:26 AM

I have borla with MAC midlenghts and an off roady y-pipe and I can't wait to get rid of my borla! Repeat don't put on the borla! My car is incredibly raspy and I don't like it all, looking to trade for a hooker, flowmaster or yes magnaflow cat back. From what I've herd magnaflow gives you the best sound and best HP gains, whatever u do don't do borla with headers
Old 05-09-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks man i thought the sound clips with borla were raspy. My brothers lt1 with midlengths and magnaflow sounds sweet. Im gonna sell this borla and buy some headers. How do you like those mac mids ? I was thinkin of them but id really like to do slp long tubes.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:33 AM

Stay away from the Eagle rims, you get what you pay for and in this case a cheap rim that everybody has and doesn't look that good and also bends easy from what I have heard from a few owners.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by 6speedZ28
Stay away from the Eagle rims, you get what you pay for and in this case a cheap rim that everybody has and doesn't look that good and also bends easy from what I have heard from a few owners.
had there rims on my car for over a year now. Have not been close to easy on them. Never had a problem with them. .....
Old 05-09-2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by camaro-chris-ss
I was thinkin of them but id really like to do slp long tubes.
I wouldn't recommend SLP. From what I hear they have ground clearance issues that none of the other headers have.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:35 PM

I was just reading about QTP long tubes are they worth it ?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:44 PM

keep the magna, look for some headers
Old 05-09-2004, 06:58 PM

I see your from nj do u ever go to island dragway or englishtown.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:40 PM

I Love my Hookers! (Headers)
Old 05-10-2004, 12:00 AM

Re: What to do ?

ftra (i was planning on a ssra but i guess i can live with ftra),
The company that makes the SSRA now called the Austin ram air makes a lower scoop to work with the FTRA. Just add that.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:22 AM

Another vote for True Duals!!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:24 PM

Re: What to do ?

It has a magnaflow exhaust, ftra (i was planning on a ssra but i guess i can live with ftra), slp lid with the k&n filter, a strut tower brace and 18 inch eagle rims. I have A borla setup from the axle to the tailpipes. Is it worth changing to borla ? I will probably do long tubes, any suggestions ?
My suggestions:

Stay away from SLP. Everything they make I always hear complaints about. Go with a Direct Flo Lid (www.ls1motorsports.com) or an MTI or something else. The SLP seems to have fitting problems with a lot of people

Don't buy a K&N! When I first bought my Camaro, it had a stock looking filter in it. I WASTED the money buying a K&N. When I had the K&N on, I would hear popping out the exhaust EVERY time I turned the car on. I changed it to a Fram paper filter, it has not done it since. I will NEVER buy another K&N product, or reccomend it to anybody. They are overpriced junk IMO. That and I don't like the idea of the possibility of oil being sucked into the MAF, throttle body, intake...etc etc

Shock Tower Brace wouldn't be a bad idea at all. They are easy to install, help a little bit, and spice things up a bit. I wouldn't reccomend dropping 400 bucks into one of those over-expensive HOTCHKIS ones though

Rims are all up to you, but have fun finding a sticky tire for a rim that big. I have Nitto Drag Radials on stock 16 inch rims, and they don't hook up worth a **** for me. I'm going with 15 inch rims and slicks. Do they even make drag radials for 18 inch rims?

Long tubes, go with Kooks. Stay the hell away from SLP headers, they hang low, and they don't really flow all that well either. You'll be VERY happy you did!

Oh, is this Z you are buying auto or 6 speed?