LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Ummm....that was weird. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 05:47 AM

Ummm....that was weird. Help please.

Im on the highway doing about 60mph and I see a semi coming up in front of me. So naturally I press the gas pretty hard to get around him. Well the car lurched forward like it normally does but then stopped accelerating totally even though my foot was down. It lasted about 3 seconds and then it kicked in. This is the 2nd time that has happened. Someone please help. What is this?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:18 AM

Clogged fuel filter maybe?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:21 AM

Is this a4, or m6?

my old car was doing this, it was a 94 6 cylinder. Turned out something was wrong with the Transmission. I'm sorry but I can't remember what it was that was wrong.

Clogged fuel filter is a possibility. Is it hard to start? This is another sign of a clogged fuel filter.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Lasombra52
Is this a4, or m6?

my old car was doing this, it was a 94 6 cylinder. Turned out something was wrong with the Transmission. I'm sorry but I can't remember what it was that was wrong.

Clogged fuel filter is a possibility. Is it hard to start? This is another sign of a clogged fuel filter.
A4. I dont have a problem starting it at all. Its only the second time its happened.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:16 AM

I'm running out of thoughts on this one. More info please.

Did the engine rev while the accelerator was down? Or did the were there no engine sounds? Are what RPM's did this happen?

LONG SHOT GUESS....

Maybe it was the tranny shifting irregularly. What kind of mods have been done? Any hard acceleration alot?

In A4's we can actually downshift two times. Scenario:

Your cruising at 60 (4th gear), slam the gas, it downshifts to third, this is the initial lurch that you felt, then it isn't high enough in the power band, so it shifts again into 2nd gear, which puts it where the computer reads for hard acceleration. This was why there was a long dull moment.

Maybe this weird accuracy had to do with all of that. That's why M6's are better from a cruising speed in a race.

As I said, I'm shooting for the stars on that scenario. Check the tranny fluid. (I do think that it has something to do with the tranny, although I have been wrong before.)

If your low on tranny fluid, it COULD (keyword) cause this problem. See if that helps. And let me know what happens. I'll doi some more research.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:12 PM

omg... i had the same thing happen to me in one night..... i was cruising along at about 65ish... and this ford mini van wanted to pass me... so i get on it... and nothing happened.. i heard it shift.. then no noise at all.... i let my foot up off the gas... and it was normal... weird stuff... i thought it had something to do with my cruise control.. cuz i had it on... kinda strange. just my $.02
Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 PM

I hate to bring back an old post, but my car is doing the same thing. I do think it has something to do with the cruise control, it only does it when the cruise control is on (but not actually set on cruise) I have an M6 in mine and the best way to describe it is its like a fuel cut, no engine revs, no anything. It feels just like running out of gas. Only thing is if it was the fuel filter, why would it only do it when the cruise is in the on position? Any help is greatly appritiated
Thanks Scott
Old 01-19-2004, 12:53 PM
DT

sounds like a tranny problem if it doesnt want to downshift right away? also check for a vaccum leak.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by ******
I hate to bring back an old post, but my car is doing the same thing. I do think it has something to do with the cruise control, it only does it when the cruise control is on (but not actually set on cruise) I have an M6 in mine and the best way to describe it is its like a fuel cut, no engine revs, no anything. It feels just like running out of gas. Only thing is if it was the fuel filter, why would it only do it when the cruise is in the on position? Any help is greatly appritiated
Thanks Scott
I have an '01 M6 that does the exact same thing. I hadn't notice the cruise thing, but the cruise is usually switch to on. I will try and leave it off and see if it goes away. mine has been doing this for a long while. I just got used to it. So if anyone has some suggestion, I'm listeneing.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:58 PM

My car has done this quite a few times since new. I have the A4 (4L60E).

The problem ONLY happens when in 4th (OD). While cruising along on the highway doing 60+ mph, and in OD with the torque converter locked, when you punch it, I think what happens is the torque converter unlocks, then re-locks, and the car tries to accelerate in 4th. If you hold the pedal down, it will stay like this for about ~3 seconds, then the car will downshift to 2nd like it should have originally, and everything works normal.

Since I have 2.73's in my car, I will often drive in 3rd (D) on the highway, especially if there's traffic. While in 3rd, this problem NEVER happens. If you punch it while cruising, the car immediately downshifts to 2nd, then 3rd as it's supposed to.

I have NO IDEA what that problem is all about though?!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:23 AM

What was i thinking. I have a T56 tranny. So its not the tranny doing the downshifting, any other sugestions? Thanks for the quick responce
Scott
Old 01-20-2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
The problem ONLY happens when in 4th (OD). While cruising along on the highway doing 60+ mph, and in OD with the torque converter locked, when you punch it, I think what happens is the torque converter unlocks, then re-locks, and the car tries to accelerate in 4th.
Yeup, those great GM torque converter clutches, made right here at the Powertrain plant in Fredericksburg... I have some bits of information pertaining to those lock-up clutches (although the clutch may not be what this post is pertaining to). Being told by a former quality systems engineer from the plant here (dad), GM has been having problems for the past 4 or 5 years with the plates or platings (?) that 3M has been supplying them with, yet management doesnt want to do anything about it... oh well... another reason not to buy a new GM

~Jon
Old 01-20-2004, 02:58 PM

I've had that happen to me once or twice...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by LT1WanaBe
Yeup, those great GM torque converter clutches, made right here at the Powertrain plant in Fredericksburg... ... another reason not to buy a new GM

~Jon
So you're saying I should have got a 6-speed?!

Thx, I'll keep that info in mind........maybe upgrading to an aftermarket stall converter wouldn't be such a bad idea after all?