LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Two Knock sensors!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 PM

Two Knock sensors!?

Hey guys,
I have been ready some of the posts that you guys have on knock sensors. I have a 99 z28 and have been getting a check engine light. Since I live in one horse hanford ca and didn't know where else to go I took the car to pepboys. They told me that the code was for a knock sensor. Now, if I am understanding your post correctly I have two knock sensors. One in the block in the usual location and the other one underneath the intake manifold. Is that correct? Pepboys didn't know that I had two and didn't tell me which one is bad. Is there anyway to tell which one is going out. Do the two different sensors put out a different code or anything? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
Old 12-02-2004, 01:29 PM

Re: Two Knock sensors!?

Originally Posted by adam_3
Hey guys,
I have been ready some of the posts that you guys have on knock sensors. I have a 99 z28 and have been getting a check engine light. Since I live in one horse hanford ca and didn't know where else to go I took the car to pepboys. They told me that the code was for a knock sensor. Now, if I am understanding your post correctly I have two knock sensors. One in the block in the usual location and the other one underneath the intake manifold. Is that correct? Pepboys didn't know that I had two and didn't tell me which one is bad. Is there anyway to tell which one is going out. Do the two different sensors put out a different code or anything? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
Yeah, i have the same prob. The knock sensors cost some coin to replace them so i would just do both at teh same time to give you ease of mind. Both of the knock sensors are located under the intake manifold. Once you lift off the intake manifold you will see the 2 cylindrical shapes and those are them. The hardest part is just getting the manifold off. I wouldnt attempt it unless you have a large array of tools cause fuel lines are nothing to mess with.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:25 AM

Actually all you need to have is a 10mm & 8 mm 1/4" drive deep well socket with ratchet and extensions, straight screwdriver and the fuel line de-coupling tool.
The intake is dry so no gaskets are necessary. That'll get you to the sensors then you'll need a big metric socket (22 or 24mm). If you get the sensors ahead of time then just fit a socket to the new sensor to make sure that you don't run into a problem.
Best bet is to go to www.ls1howtoo.com and use the LS6 intake swap write-up for the instructions.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
Actually all you need to have is a 10mm & 8 mm 1/4" drive deep well socket with ratchet and extensions, straight screwdriver and the fuel line de-coupling tool.
The intake is dry so no gaskets are necessary. That'll get you to the sensors then you'll need a big metric socket (22 or 24mm). If you get the sensors ahead of time then just fit a socket to the new sensor to make sure that you don't run into a problem.
Best bet is to go to www.ls1howtoo.com and use the LS6 intake swap write-up for the instructions.

Yeah it is strait forward with the exception of the crimping of the fuel lines. If you have never done one before dont really attempt to do it unless someone is teaching you. You have to alleviate the pressure in the fuel system, crimp the line etc. If you mess up and spray gas on a hot manifold then your car turns into an ash pile
Old 12-04-2004, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by LT-14me
Yeah it is strait forward with the exception of the crimping of the fuel lines. If you have never done one before dont really attempt to do it unless someone is teaching you. You have to alleviate the pressure in the fuel system, crimp the line etc. If you mess up and spray gas on a hot manifold then your car turns into an ash pile
I don't know what you are doing to your fuel lines but mine uses a tool that just slides in and un locks it so that it can come apart.

As far as the fuel pressure goes, pull the fuel pump fuse and run the car 'till it quits = 0 fuel pressure in the rails.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM

Thank you for the information