LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Tune up after Cam install?

Old 04-03-2003, 10:46 AM

Tune up after Cam install?

Just for sake of asking i was wondering how much tuning you need to do after you put a cam shaft in yout vehicle. i was planning on putting in a cam shaft with my gramps, he knows how to on early 350 that had no computers. im using the install instructions from ls1info.com? and another question are pulleys good in adding HP? what are some pros and cons? and what abou 80 mm throttle bodies? pros and cons?

suppose we get it all bolted up right and it all works. how much tuning and what tuning should be done?

i have no idea what cam to choose could some one break cams down for me or direct me to a page that explains lobes and durations and all that good stuff.

Calvert
Old 04-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Banned

i would get tuned at a shop with ls1edit.....

and also check out www.ls1howto.com for more tips

good luck
Old 04-03-2003, 03:56 PM

I still have the stock heads, would I have to change the heads when doing the cam swap. I am thinking of going with the ZO6 cam. Remember that I am new at this, be patient with me.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by 6spdpewterZ
I still have the stock heads, would I have to change the heads when doing the cam swap. I am thinking of going with the ZO6 cam. Remember that I am new at this, be patient with me.

...you don't have to do a head swap during a cam install, alot of guys do it but some don't...you can get a mild cam and use them with your stock heads and you'll still see some hp gains...the Z06 cam sucks a$$....go get a TR220 or something of the same, check out Thunder Racing for some custom grinds. Make sure the lobe seperation doesn't go below 114...good luck
Old 04-03-2003, 09:37 PM

Re: Tune up after Cam install?

Originally posted by CalvertLS1
Just for sake of asking i was wondering how much tuning you need to do after you put a cam shaft in yout vehicle. i was planning on putting in a cam shaft with my gramps, he knows how to on early 350 that had no computers. im using the install instructions from ls1info.com? and another question are pulleys good in adding HP? what are some pros and cons? and what abou 80 mm throttle bodies? pros and cons?

suppose we get it all bolted up right and it all works. how much tuning and what tuning should be done?

i have no idea what cam to choose could some one break cams down for me or direct me to a page that explains lobes and durations and all that good stuff.

Calvert
It depends on what cam you get, the bigger..the more tune you'll need...the stock idle can't handle a performance cam..plus you'll get into emission issue's. Pulley's are good, cheap hp IMO....no cons I can think of....80 mm throttle bodies are crap unless you have full heads and cam like me...the best bet for you is to get your's ported and polished...goto LS1tech.com and look for Bauer Racing...their a sponser over there...they do a good job of P&P and way cheaper than a BBK TB

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2003, 08:43 PM

Well what about MAF? i was thinking about a ls6 maf? are there alot of problems with MAFs? is this a good mod? im doing induction stuff right now, the mod bug bite me pretty hard.

sorry for the n00b- questions

garrett calvert
fresno ca

LOoKING FOR AN LS1 MECHANIC
Old 04-04-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by CalvertLS1
Well what about MAF? i was thinking about a ls6 maf? are there alot of problems with MAFs? is this a good mod? im doing induction stuff right now, the mod bug bite me pretty hard.

sorry for the n00b- questions

garrett calvert
fresno ca

LOoKING FOR AN LS1 MECHANIC

Leave the MAF as is..the stock one will handle up to 400 hp with no problems...what you can do is de-screen the maf, but keep the screen just in case you get knock issue's. There are not too many issue's regarding MAF's..so don't worry bout it. For now go with the free ram air, cold air kit and high performance filter or go with a K&N FIPK system. Modded is addicting but fun...if you have any questions my friend Mike owns a great f-body shop that gives advice and sells parts

www.stealthperf.com

Good luck