LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

True Duals - A4 PT4000

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM

True Duals - A4 PT4000

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at True Duals for my car.

I currently have Pacesetter headers, the new TSP ORY (better merge), and GMMG out back.

Car sounds great, but still has that annoying rasp from 2,200ish to 3,200 area.

Main Reasons for the swap:

1) A little gain in power would be nice (not really expecting it on a cam only car)

2) Better sound eliminating the rasp

3) Weight savings. The GMMG catback is HEAVY. This would probably be the biggest benefit even over a couple HP that I "might" pick up.

Concerns:

1) Ground Clearance - but it looks like with the UMI Torque arm they can be tucked up ok.

2) Noise - How does it compare to say a SLP or GMMG w/ ORY. I honestly can't imagine it being THAT much louder, other then possibly more interior noise being dumped underneath the car rather then out back. To the guys who have a high stall w/ true duals is it unbearable? Not bad? I've never ridden in a TD car.

3) Which mufflers? I've heard the Spiral Flows choke the exhaust so it's probably between the Dynomax Bullets and Sweet Thunders. Any recommendations?

For no more then it costs I can always buy, install (keep the GMMG setup) and if after a few weeks I decide I don't like it drop the price $50 and sell it on LS1tech. The nice thing is I will probably make money on the deal if I like it as I can sell the GMMG/Ypipe for probably $100 over the cost of the TD setup.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM

I've got 3" duals out the back with Flowmaster single chambers. All custom cut and weld mandrels with a custom made X-pipe for the chassis mount Spohn torque arm. It's quieter (but not by much) than my old ORY and Corsa setup, with better ground clearance too. The sound quality is MUCH, MUCH better. All rasp is gone.

If you dump it at the axle, it will save some weight. Going up over the axle with small mufflers like I did, it's about the same.

Go with the Flowmaster single chambers with an X-pipe if you can fit them. They'll sound like an old musclecar mixed with a 5.0 Mustang. Bullet style mufflers sound terrible - they're all noise and have little tone.

I've got the "same" PT4000 converter, but my setup is a bit more aggressive than yours so... I will never, ever go back to a single setup.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Retired

Get the true dual setup from Texas Speed --- I think it's around $400.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM

I have true dual bbk long tube going into high flow cats and custom cut to where each pipe comes out at the center of the car on both sides