LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Throttle sticking...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 03:14 PM

Post Throttle sticking...

Hello! I have some questions for you all and Im hoping you can help. Yesterday while out driving my car, I parked and shut the motor off, then restarted it right away. With the restart my throttle was stuck open and the RPM's were reving high!! I hit the pedal a couple of times but this did not fix it. I shut the motor off, restarted, and it has been fine since. Yesterday was the only time its ever done this. Im trying to get ahead of the ball game here incase this becomes an issue with the car. (my warrenty is expired!!) If you could give me some ideas of what the possible causes of this and possible fix's for this are I would appriciate it! Then I can play around with it and see what happens! Hopefully its just a simple matter of cleaning or somthing and won't become an issue!! Thank you for any info you can give me!
My car is a 98 Z28, LS1 motor, Borla exhaust, LSI Motorsport air filter box, and some other modifications that I can't remember!! Thank you!
Old 07-23-2002, 06:20 PM

Stock TB, right? It 'probably' has started to become gummed up around the throttle blade. Although that would take a lot of gunk to keep it wide open... you should remove the intake and take a peak at the TB, looking for black buildup around the interior perimeter.

Other problem could be the throttle cable. I'm not sure if the 98 has a small little black plastic cylinder along the cable which houses a tensior spring or not (some models have it, some don't). It could be stuck.

If the cable and the TB look to be in fine shape, then I'm thinking it made be a PCM problem controlling your idle speed. That's about the only time I would think that moving the pedals accomplishes nothing BUT shutting the engine off and restarting it solves the problem. A computer problem likely.

What the revs go to? Right up to redline as if 100% WOT? Or only part way?
Old 07-24-2002, 08:31 AM

CamaroChriSS, thanks for the reply!! Yes, stock TB. I will remove the intake and check out the TB and the throttle cable. The PCM never threw a code or anything, I just restarted and it seemed to be fine. No, it did not rev to WOT, it was at about 3 or 3.5, maybe a little higher.... What would I use to clean the TB if it looks gummed up? Thanks again for your assistance and I will let you know what I find!
Old 07-24-2002, 09:52 AM

3M makes a cleaner specifically for TBs. It comes in a spray can. I've used it on my 94Z28 and it works good at removing the carbon buildup. Ask for it at your local parts store.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:18 AM

Just post an update once you see something or if there's any questions.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:46 AM

Hey Scott and Camaro ChriSS, thank you both for the info. I went and picked up the cleaner last night and my dad is going to help me this weekend to remove the intake and check the TB. I will let you all know what we find!
Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:24 AM

Good. Hope it works.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:21 AM

Hello!! Well, this weekend my dad and I took apart the air intake and cleaned the TB and throttle cable. There was not an excessive build up of crap in the TB. We cleaned it with cleaner, lubed the throttle cable, and all is well. The throttle has not stuck since that one time and all looked normal on the car so Im gonna just assume it was a freak thing and hopefully it will not happen again. We changed the oil too, cleaned her up, she looks good!! hahahaa.... Thanks again for all the assistance and I will post again should I have any further problems with the car. Thanks guys!
Old 07-30-2002, 01:58 PM

Good to hear from a woman who enjoys her car...
Old 07-30-2002, 03:39 PM

Are you kidding?!?! I loooove my car!! hahahaa.... My son always accuses me of loving the car more then him! He is starting to understand what Im talking about now that he is driving! He has a little Ford Ranger pickup truck, but he is itching to get his hands on the camaro.....aaahhh, thats not gonna happen for a looong time though!
heheheeee......