LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Standard Shifter vs. Factory Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 02:31 PM

Standard Shifter vs. Factory Hurst Shifter

For those of you that have driven both shifters how much of a difference is there between the two? The reason I ask is that I found a awesome Y2K WS6 but it does not have the hurst shifter which is really the only thing that I don't like about it. I have never driven a M6 with the Hurst shifter so I really don't know how much better they are or if there is not really that much of a noticeable difference.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:47 PM

It's quite noticable. I test drove a Z without the hurst shifter, and wow, having never drivin a M6 Camaro before, I thought it was quite long. The Z I ended up buying had the Hurst, and let's just say it's nearly night and day. The shifts are quite shorter.

There are better shifters out there. If you really like the car, I say go for, it cause you can always get a pro 5.0 or Ripper or something.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:40 PM

You're not going to let a shifter influence your car purchase are you? I would hope not. Buy the car, you'll love it!! My stock shifter is just fine, but I'm going to buy the Pro 5.0/Lou's short stick combo from afterthoughtsauto.com for $225 shipped later this summer.

Which shifter do you guys prefer? Pro 5.0 or Hurst?
Old 05-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Banned

Re: Standard Shifter vs. Factory Hurst Shifter

Originally posted by QUICK2GO
I have never driven a M6 with the Hurst shifter so I really don't know how much better they are or if there is not really that much of a noticeable difference.
The difference is like night and day. I drove a SS with the Hurst shifter on the track, and I really appreciated the shorter, more precise throws. With the Hurst, it feels like its impossible to get the wrong gear. However, I found the Hurst to be a little to tight. I never got away from the feeling of metal against metal. In either case, you aren't talking about the mechanical joy of a Getrag gearbox in a Beemer.

If you like the WS6, I wouldn't let the standard shifter stand in my way of buying it. I just have to wonder what type of person would original buy a WS6 and not drop the $250 extra for the Hurst.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:45 AM

Re: Re: Standard Shifter vs. Factory Hurst Shifter

Originally posted by redzed
I just have to wonder what type of person would original buy a WS6 and not drop the $250 extra for the Hurst.
Someone who already has a favorite shifter planned for purchase? I had a hurst in my 99 Z when i bought it.. I like it.. though.... THAT feels like a mile compared to the WRX i just sold

Eric
Old 05-11-2003, 10:54 AM

Don't let that stop you, if you don't like the stock, shifters aren't too expensive and they are easily replaced, you could a used hurst for pretty cheap, it's a pretty good shfter, it was a $350 option,you have to wonder why someone woudn't get it,it's lik on the camaros, the leather steering wheel, parking brke and radio steering wheel controls was only a $125 option and there are cars everywhere with out it, for that price it should have relly been standard IMO, the hurst should have been too.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:44 AM

How can you tell if your car has the Hurst Shifter. I bought my car used and I have no idea. It doens't look stock. The shift stick is silver alumiunum like color and if you rub your fingers on it, its feels rough, like the metal is ribbed but it's very slight.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Standard Shifter vs. Factory Hurst Shifter

Originally posted by redzed
The difference is like night and day. I drove a SS with the Hurst shifter on the track, and I really appreciated the shorter, more precise throws.
I thought the only option for the SS with an M6 was a hurst shifter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Ferocity02
How can you tell if your car has the Hurst Shifter. I bought my car used and I have no idea. It doens't look stock. The shift stick is silver alumiunum like color and if you rub your fingers on it, its feels rough, like the metal is ribbed but it's very slight.
The factory Hurst is black. The after-market ones are silver. (Most of the time.)

Last edited by blackbowtie02; 05-11-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:14 PM

Damn, I wanna get a shifter but I don't know if I already have one I hate having a used car!!!

I hope I have heads and a cam too
Old 05-11-2003, 01:20 PM

So who wants to guess what kinda of shifter I have, or could it just be a short stik?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:40 PM

So who wants to guess what kinda of shifter I have, or could it just be a short stik?
you may just have a short stick. Or you could have a Pro 5.0, or a B&M.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:44 PM

Is there a way to tell before I go spend my money on a new shifter?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:00 PM

Is there a way to tell before I go spend my money on a new shifter?
Yeah, if you go to your shifter, and lightly slide down the rubber boot just enough to see the silver, 9times out of 10 you will have an aftermarket shifter. Or, contact the previous owner and see if they have replaced the shifter.
Also, from looking at your pictures, it looks like you have an after market ****. Is that correct? GM didn't use the same ****. If you have the Hurst, then you have a H on the top, and a different design.
Fill me in.

Last edited by blackbowtie02; 05-11-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:34 PM

The shift stick is black on my 2001 T/A. Do I have a Hurst shifter?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:42 PM

the hurst has a bend in the stick about halfway down, the stock doesn't. the hurst stick s 1/2" thick, i think the stock in thinner.

Quick Reply: Standard Shifter vs. Factory Hurst Shifter