LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Something isn't right in my 98 z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:04 PM

Something isn't right in my 98 z28

I don't pretend to be any guru of motors, but I know something is not quite right with the way mine is driving. There are several things that make me nervous

First off when I brake usually its ok but occasionally it will like rock the car. Now many of you may be thinking that its the antilock brakes, but it isnt. Its almost a rhythmatic pattern like every time the wheel spins I feel it. If anyone could throw some random guesses out or at least tell me what it could be and how to get it checked out I would greatly appreciate it.

Also it doesnt have quite the kick that it used to. When I first bought it my baby threw me into my seat when I pressed it to the floor. Now its more of a nudge backwards. Any reason why it might be acting up/not accelerating as much as it should? Does it just need a tune up or... It has had regular oil changes although it has experienced many miles in a short period of time and I'm thinking perhaps that had something to do with it. If any of you could tell me what may be going on I'd appreciate it!! I'm completely
Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Re: Something isn't right in my 98 z28

pulsing when you brake...warped rotors...

from what i'm told...common with the LS1 setup

not the punch you're use to..

either you're getting use to the feel...or it's getting tired.

check the plugs, wires, fuel filter

how many miles are we talking
Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 PM

I had the same issue with my brakes, they warp if you look at them funny, get them turned or buy a non gm set of rotors to fix it.

Second, after I got used to the power of my 98 well... MOD IT! If its not throwing any codes, it should be ok. Mileage on it?

You think that's a kick in the pants, I had to revert to driving my 88 305TBI for the winter instead of the z28... my 88 felt HORRIBLY slow than I remember... sad...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:33 PM

it has 69k miles on it right now, and I am planning on dropping some exhaust and intake on it but I want to make sure its mechanically sound first because spending all of my money modding it will prove to be a poor decision if something stops working
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 AM

your car should be ok..(if you didnt beat the crap out of it) your not at allot of miles.. just change the brakes an do a complete tune up so everything is good.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:29 AM

If those are your factory rotors i'm surprised they lasted 69k miles, my car has 40k miles and its time to change all four rotors. So your car dosen't have the kick it used to huh? Try this, don't drive your car for 2-3 weeks and lets see if you say that again, your just used to the power thats all.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:37 AM

its an automatic and I think you guys are right.. I don't floor it a lot but I did last night. Gave me a real eye opener on what kind of traction I have. It went all the way through first gear and into second gear without me moving anywhere tires just spinning... Anyways I think Ill just drop a couple of paychecks into it for exhaust intake and maybe getting it tuned and we'll see if I feel better!! Thanks for your help guys I appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:41 AM

If I'm getting some new rotors any suggestions? Should I just go with whatever rotors the local shop gives me? I'm not enlightened enough to put my own rotors on so that's pretty much out of the question unless its a lot easier than I imagine. And how much approximately should replacing the rotors cost? Thanks fellas.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 AM

Baer has some replacement rotors that should hold up pretty good. I'm not talking about the expensive, cross-drilled ones. Just the normal replacement rotors. I think I got mine from tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 03-04-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah it's your rotors that are warped, I had the exact same problem. Right before I reached the red light my car would make me look like I was rockin' out, just nodding my head back and forth as I came to a stop. It was the brakes grabbing and then, well, not grabbing. I have now replaced them with drilled and slotted rotors from Baer. They work great!
As for that whole thing about not feeling the power anymore, these guys are probably right. We just get use to the power, which is why I'm getting headers. I drove my brother in law's car yesterday and I felt like it took forever to get up to freeway speed (about 80 at the time). The best way to know if your car still hauls *** is to take a girl or two in the car with you and punch it from the light or from a roll and if you hear a lot of screaming then it is confirmed that your car still has a good pair of cajones.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM

there is no reason you shouldnt be able to do rotors yourself, if you are able to do other things. it is pretty darn easy, take your wheels, off, take your brake calipers off and off your rotors will come. put some new brake pads in your calipers while you are at it.. chances are, you probally need it. send me a pm if you need any more help.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:35 AM

I had never done the rotors before, either.

Click here to go to Install University. Then click on LSX vehicles and check out the section on brakes. Install University

Instead of replacing my rotors, I had them turned. Take them all off, haul them down to your auto parts store and they will turn them if they still have enough metal left on them...costs about $10/each. It's a cheaper alternative to replacing, but thinner rotors = faster warping = eventual replacement.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:39 PM

I agree with everyone with the warped rotors, mine had the same prob when i first got it. AS for the power, giv eit a good tune up, plugs/wires/filters all around that sort of stuff, I just did mine and noticed a difference. You might also want to clean out the internals when tuning it up using a product such as sea foam.