LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Short shifter kit vs. short shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 AM

Short shifter kit vs. short shifter?

Not trying to ask a dumb question, but I was looking at my next mod and decided to go with a short shift kit, while browsing the different makes and types I noticed that some performance part web sites simply sell a shorter stick. The benefit being that versus spending 200.00 plus dollars I could simply spend 50 or 60 and get the same results. Anyone offer any ideas or experiences of why I should spend the 200 for the kit versus just buying a shorter shifter?

Thanks in advance for your guy's insight.

Gary
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Short shifter kit vs. short shifter?

The stock shifter has a rubber bushing that gives the shifter a "rubbery" feel. The aftermarket shifters eliminate the bushing, and tighten things up, in addition to altering the pivot point for the lever to provide a shorter throw. Some even add adjustable "stops" to help minimize possible damage to the transmission's internal shift rails. The mounting plates are typically a thick aluminum construction, rather than the flimsy stamped steel that the factory used. Some aftermarket shifters allow you to adjust the centering action of the spring that holds the lever in the middle.

You get none of the above advantages with a "short stick" unless it is designed to bolt directly to the stock shifter, without using the bushing.

Think about it this way.... get BOTH an aftermarket short-throw shifter AND a "short stick".... you won't believe the feel. I had a Hurst billet shifter with Lou's short stick 15 years ago, and loved it. When I upgraded to the Pro 5.0 shifter, I shortened the lever that came with it.... again shifting was incredibly crisp and took very little movement.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Camaro had the factory Hurst shifter option. I swapped the stick and rubber isolator out for a homemade short stick that bolts directly to the shifter like Fred described, which was a nice change.

Later, I upgraded to the Pro 5.0 shifter, which was a HUGE improvement. I kept my custom short stick at first, but the Pro 5.0's mounting point is a little different than the stock shifter, so it angled significantly to the right -- the stick would bump up against the side of the shifter boot trim piece when using reverse. I switched that stick out for a Lou's Short Stick and now everything lines up just right.

I cannot recommend the Pro 5.0 + Lou's Short Stick upgrade enough. It's less than $200 for the two, and you'll never miss another shift again.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Thank you for explaining how it works, I will definitely get both. Now I just have to find a decently priced unit, thanks!

Gary
Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Administrator

I'm out of touch with the best shifter for the T56, since I converted to a TH400. When I mentioned the Pro 5.0 on another forum recently, someone indicated that the current "best" is made by MGW. I have no idea if that's correct, but the MGW seems to get a lot of good press on various F-Body sites.

Chevy:Transmission:Shifters and *****

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Ok so I found the Pro 5.0 short shift kit which Im going to order tonight. If I read correctly you guys also bought a short stick? I thought the Pro 5.o kit came with a short stick.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator

The Pro 5.0 isn't real short, but you can cut about 1-1/2" of threads off it. When I did that the **** was down to the shift boot support ring. In fact it was so short that when I added a Hurst Line-Lock switch (attached to the stick with a rubber band), the switch was so deep in the boot it was hard to use.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM

So the pro 5.0 shift stick isn't that short, but I can cut it then if I do then the boot isn't going to fit? Geez I just want it to be shorter and have a more direct shifting feel.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Administrator

No need to get angry at someone who is trying to help you.

You're making way too big a deal out of this. If you use a shorter stick, no matter whether it's Lou's short stick, a cut down Pro 5.0 stick, or something you make yourself, the boot will be too tall. You simply fold the boot top down over the stick and it looks fine.

If you can't live with that just keep the stock shifter.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Sorry I wasn't mad at all lol, sorry if it sounded that way. No I was just thinking to much about it. Thank you guys for all the info!

Gary
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM

What do you guys think of the Core Shifter & 6" Hurst Chrome Short Stick 1993-2002 Camaro Z28 Firebird TA T56? Found one on ebay for 164 and inludes ****.

Gary
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dirtgar
What do you guys think of the Core Shifter & 6" Hurst Chrome Short Stick 1993-2002 Camaro Z28 Firebird TA T56? Found one on ebay for 164 and inludes ****.
Sounds like it might be junk, but post a link.