LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Rookie Engine Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 05:49 PM

Rookie Engine Mods

I just sold my baby, a 1967 Chevelle Convertible that I restored. I took some of the money and bought a 1999 Camaro SS LS1. This car is a completely different animal than my classic and I have a little to learn. I'm pretty good with the old school mechanical stuff but am new to modifying a newer engine. My car is pretty much stock, it has a K&N air filter and the stock SLP Exhaust, it looks about a 3" exhaust. She runs great with the exception of a bad driveshaft that I am i the process of replacing. I want to try and get a few extra ponies out of the motor without any permanent engine mods. The car only has 24,000 miles on it and I want to keep it's value best I can. What are some good engine mods I can do without tearing into the engine itself. Mass air sensor, throttle body, cold air intake etc.? Can the computers be reprogrammed with any success? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:03 PM

Re: Rookie Engine Mods

probably a nice Lid, and headers to add a few ponys. If you want to make it quicker add gears.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 PM

a list of "good" first mods should not include the MAF sensor or the throttlebody

lid is the best start, since it's got the exhaust you could look into headers and tuning.

simple bolt ons would include pullies and suspension mods to increase traction
Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 PM

By lid I'm assuming you mean a cover for the air intake. Not to sound dumb here but what is the purpose it and what do you gain by installing a "lid"? Is this an SLP manufactured product or who makes it?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:47 PM

"Lid" is just the terminology us LS1ers use to describle the massive intake in front of the engine.

The factory lid has two large air silencers right before the MAF. These restrict air flow a little bit and the removal of them and the installation of an aftermarket lid will channel air into the engine a lot faster and let it breathe a little better. It's probably the most popular LS1 mod too. You really won't notice a seat-of-the-pants difference after it's installed, but more power will definitely be there.

Just a side question. How do you like new muscle compared to your old school muscle? Does the Camaro throw you back in the seat like the Chevelle would? Any similarities between the two cars?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:01 PM

Lid, LT's, a catback exhaust, a tune, lots o suspension, big tires!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:29 AM

for about 1500 you can a noticable difference...

1. SLP 'flowPac" which is a CAI, Lid, Smoothe Bellows, and K&M
2. Larger MAF
3. 160 degree thermo
4. y-pipe and cat-back (I went with SLP dual/dual muffler, but its a personal opionion on how loud you want)

and while your at it...new shifter...feels alot better :-)

I did all this and there is definalty a noticable difference...

If you want more get a set of headers, hi-flow cats, gears, and have your car dyno tuned...that will put you over 400HP whithout any major engine mods...
Old 08-04-2004, 10:41 AM

congrats wit tha new ride. definitely go with a lid first. any lid would do. then i would go with a fast toys ram air. a good catback should be next. either go with loudmouth, borla, magnaflow. those are the big popular catbacks for the ls1. definitely do suspension like subframe connectors. ypu dont need to worry bout the mass air flow sensor because the stock one is good enough. then headers. go full lengths. after that maybe go with a big cam and you should be puttin down mad power. oh yeah maybe before the cam you might wanna get an LS6 intake manifold that came on the 01-01 fbods. good luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Auto or manual? A good stall converter will do more to make you quicker than most bolt-ons.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:45 PM

The car is an automatic and like a said is pretty much stock. Compared to my Chevelle this thing has a heck of alot of power. It's funny because the Chevelle dyno'd out at over 300 HP and Torque, it was pretty quick but not like this beast. I'm impressed with the performance for the dollars. My ride is immaculate and I got it for a pretty good price. I will say that the old car got alot more looks and turned more heads. Almost 35 years later you still can't mistake that chevy smallblock sound. Thanks for all your help. This message board is a great help. Old school or new rods, car guys are car guys.