LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Replaced EVERYTHING on the front of the engine... still squeals...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 05:15 PM

Angry Replaced EVERYTHING on the front of the engine... still squeals...

Guys, I am pissed. I have replaced everything on the front of my engine. Idler pulley, alternator, alternator bracket that has a pulley on it, even the water pump!! The only thing left is the belt... the dealer replaced the water pump since it was under warranty, and they also concluded it was the belt. I have been through 3 belts, 2 GM belts and one Goodyear belt. The cold squeal drives me nuts!! What should I do?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:06 PM

My LT1 had a sqeal when I would rev the engine it turned out to be the crank shaft pully I don't know if this helps good luck.

Jim
Old 09-12-2003, 04:29 PM

ttt
Old 09-13-2003, 12:34 AM

i have the same problem with my car brought it back to the dealer and they checked all the belts and said that it was fine. did it all winter though, especially on the really cold mornings.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:33 PM

i had the same problem. they replaced the water pump cuz it was leaking. I told them if the pump leaked on the belt, they had to replace it. Well, it leaked on the belt and they just put belt dressing on it. I TOLD THEM NOT TO!!!! within 2 mile, it started squeaking agian. so if any coolant leaks on tht belt, it MUST be replaced if you don't want it to squeak. Try replacing the belt again.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 PM

Sometimes the simplest things can drive you nuts! I had the same problem. I had 3 new GM belts replaced on my Z and the squealing always continued after only a couple days. I changed to a GoodYear Gatorback belt. that cured the problem. The other guys are right about fluids. They can cause problems. Keep the engine compartment clean and the belts free of oils, coolant, etc. as best you can. The funny thing about rubber is that it breaks down over time if it is being used or not. Just because you get a brand new(or so they say) belt, doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting in the parts room or in a less than cool, dry place for a year. Try the Gatorback. It worked for me.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:00 PM

Hey, thanks a ton, I will try the Gatorback belt. Thanks! Where can I get one? I don't think Autozone carries them, and I go there for EVERYTHING. Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:01 AM

Gatorback, yeah thats the one I have on mine now and have never heard another squeal out of it.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:25 PM

You can definately get it at goodyear, but I got mine at half the price at Bennett Auto supply. I'm not sure if they have them where you are at. Check around. If you get a nice enough sales person at goodyear, they will tell you where else you can get them.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:04 PM

I went to ***SEVEN*** Yes, **7** different auto parts stores and no one had them. Even the Goodyear place was out of the correct one. I eventually gave up and ordered one from Murray's, and it should be in at 8am tomorrow. I will post back and let you all know how it works out. What should I do if it doesnt?!!? (other than get REALLY REALLY pissed?)
Old 09-18-2003, 03:38 PM

Just to put in my 2 cents,I also had the same problem,dealer replaced the tensioner pulley which fixed the problem for 3 whole months then it came back even louder.Replaced both belts with gatobacks over a year ago and the noise is still gone !!!Got my gatorbacks from www.summitracing.com
Old 09-18-2003, 11:29 PM

Well, got my belt in today. Don't know if it fixed it yet, I will tomorrow morning on a cold start. I hope this works!
Old 09-19-2003, 05:00 PM

That belt didnt do anything. Still squeals like a banshee. I'm madder than hell, I'm ready to go drive my car through the window at the dealership and leave it there. What do I do? The Gatorback didn't help AT ALL.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:23 PM

Re: Replaced EVERYTHING on the front of the engine... still squeals...

Originally posted by Mike94ZLT1
Guys, I am pissed. I have replaced everything on the front of my engine. Idler pulley, alternator, alternator bracket that has a pulley on it, even the water pump!! The only thing left is the belt... the dealer replaced the water pump since it was under warranty, and they also concluded it was the belt. I have been through 3 belts, 2 GM belts and one Goodyear belt. The cold squeal drives me nuts!! What should I do?
Why don't you get a stethoscope, or make one, and listen to the parts individually rather than guess your way through new parts?.......why didn't you do that in the first place?
Old 09-19-2003, 06:47 PM

thats not a bad idea, but now I have a new everything and the problem persists. what gives?

Quick Reply: Replaced EVERYTHING on the front of the engine... still squeals...