LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Question about few mods, help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 01:48 PM

Question about few mods, help please

alright, ive got a 95 z im selling and im gonna be gettin a newer ss, 98-2002, any of those will work. now heres my first question, since im kinda new to ls1 parts, whats the best air intake option to get, im guessing a k@n fipk works good, but any other suggestions??? plus, im guessing it would be smart to get a new maf sensor so i can take full advantage of air coming in. and also, im gonna get slp long tube headers and a slp loudmouth cat back, now would i need to get a y pipe, and if so, where abouts would i go gettin one to work with slp long tubes?? and while i got everyones attention, what other mods would you suggest doing, like i said, ls1's are new to me as far as actual parts to get is concerned. im just trying to get a list of things to do since i gotta pretty much start all over now with new car. for sure though, i want new air intake, and headers and cat back. those are a definate. alright, thats it for now, any help is appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2003, 08:08 PM

ok, alot of people are going to tell you to stay away from the slp stuff (its crap) go with the hookers---there are some other really good lt's out there but are more expensive then the hookers and they make a y-pipe that bolts right up to the hookers for $160 (go to thunderracing.com) then a cutout will do you well, the loud mouth does put out a good sound. I went with the k&n and and an aftermarket lid because I wasn't gaing to spend 300 somthing dollars on an fipk and free ram air (go to instaluniversity.com), people might tell you different but I would stay with the stock MAF, af's will lean you out to much and as air flow is conserned if flow plenty stock internal engines for a cam and head car may be a different story. other than that traction is always a good bet --suspension, wider tires-- LS6 intake if you get a 98-99 will show a big improvment. and theres always N2O